Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Charitable links to raise money FREE (please view and click)

Comments

• Paulee
    Paulee Posts: 180 Forumite
    Hi Buddhabellybutton & Poppycat,

I've just noticed that you've thanked me for this message. I'm thrilled and touched that you thought it worthy of thanks - I was a bit worried that I'd rambled on a bit!

Thanks,

Paul.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi Paul. That's no problem, its a very worthy cause you mentioned and one which I would gladly support. As you said sadly Diabetes is rising along with asthma which I also suffer from.

I cant help but feel that with our unhealthily diets, lack of exercise and stuck in sealed homes whether this contributes to it. Something is going wrong anyhow.

I think we all know at least someone who has either disability, I do hope that there is one day a cure both can be killers.
  • Poppycat
    I just found this link on there web site

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/news/feb06/obesity.htm

"Childhood obesity on the rise

More than one in four children aged between two and ten is oveweight or obese, according to a report from the National Audit Office, the Healthcare Commission and Audit Commission."
  • Bump up for this worthy thread. xxxx
    Make it happen (old signature)

Making it happen (NEW Signature Jan 2009)
  • Great idea. Finally got round to doing something I've always meant to do.
  • I'm sure no-one minds me keep bumping this one up, but if you do, just tell me. xxxx

• Poppycat
    No please keep it bumped. It keeps disappearing as the forum is very busy. It doesn't cost us nowt and gives us a nice warm feeling inside that we are helping others.

I do some charity work (help people unable to walk far to wherever they want to go) so I no all to well that it does make a difference.
  • Good for you Poppycat, another selfless act.

• twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    have made a note to click every day thanks for letting people know.
  • Paulee
    Paulee Posts: 180 Forumite
    Poppycat wrote:
    I just found this link on there web site

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/news/feb06/obesity.htm

"Childhood obesity on the rise

More than one in four children aged between two and ten is oveweight or obese, according to a report from the National Audit Office, the Healthcare Commission and Audit Commission."

Hi Poppycat,

Thanks for your comments and your link to Diabetes UK. I agree, I'm pretty sure that there is probably something in the food, water, air etc (probably chemical additives) that are responsible for triggering a lot of these increasingly common disorders.

However, insulin dependant type 1 diabetes is not related to diet or lifestyle. It is believed that it can be triggered by such things as a bad virus, an accident, shock, or even stress. This is different to type 2 diabetes which is usually caused by being overweight. This is normally associated with people over 40 years of age, but is increasingly occuring in young, obese, children. In some parts of the world, particularly in the Asian and Afro-Carribean populations, type 2 is increasing extremely rapidly, almost to epidemic levels.

In my search for a "click to give" web site for diabetes I have mailed and received an encouraging response, from the people behind the "Hunger" site we are so familiar with. I have not found anything that answers my query yet, but I will keep on looking.

Thanks, once again,

Paul.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family