What to get someone going to Afghanistan?

Options
My maid of honour is in the RAF and she's recently been told she's going out there for 6 months very soon :cry: - and because she's a very good friend I want to get her something that she can actually use out there..

So... any ideas? Has anyone been out there with the RAF or other forces and what would YOU have welcomed? I intend to send out monthly packaged with stuff from home like chocolate, coffee, tea and anything I can think off that will keep in the heat and is easily shippable...

But what can I give her to take out with her?

Many thanks!
DFW Nerd #025
DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey

Comments

• silkyuk9
    silkyuk9 Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    Options
    MrsTine wrote: »
    My maid of honour is in the RAF and she's recently been told she's going out there for 6 months very soon :cry: - and because she's a very good friend I want to get her something that she can actually use out there..

So... any ideas? Has anyone been out there with the RAF or other forces and what would YOU have welcomed? I intend to send out monthly packaged with stuff from home like chocolate, coffee, tea and anything I can think off that will keep in the heat and is easily shippable...

But what can I give her to take out with her?

Many thanks!

youve just said it all really, i wouldnt give anything too expensive as it might bet broken or lost or stolen.

My son goes out on tour very soon also, and ill be giving him all my love and support, and lots of regular shoe boxers full of supplies that he will need to make his life better or more comfortable, such as soap, tooth paste, insect repelant, exttra boot laces, batteries for his mp3 player.
    All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some form of games console, not only will it entertain when there is nothing to do, also on the flight out there and back.

Maybe a PSP, or a Gameboy advance / DS Lite

Both can be modified... (ahem...)
  • Old_Trout_3
    Options
    My other half took laptop which he can watch dvd:s on. Last time a small portable dvd-player. Choccies a bit tricky if you intend to send them. Some of the choccibiccies I sent apparently had melted in the heat so I stick to other biscuits. The dog liked the melted ones apparently....
  • Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    Options
    a real nice pair of sunglasses...i agree with the PS/Nintendo etc to.....but you should think about something personal like photos of you all together........silkyuk hit the nail on the head though......nothing beats a parcel full of goodies from home.....wine gums crisps NO chocolate! so buy loads of shoes (so you can use the shoe boxes lol good excuse) and just send her lots of goodies while shes away (parcels 2kg and less can be sent FREE to afghan just so you know)
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • minirolo2004
    Options
    Hiya :)

I just got back from Afghanistan, and, as a female, I welcomed monthly magazines and goodies. To echo previous posters - NO CHOCOLATE, they literally do arrive in liquid form. Sweets like Maoms are pretty good...Haribo is hit and miss as it all sticks together! Like the previous poster said, anything under 2kg is FREE and make sure you check out the ebluey website www.ebluey.com. Best thing for her to do is make sure she has an IGS account and email you from work and via her work email :)

If you can't afford, or don't want to splash out on a DS or PSP, a cheapy dvd player thingy would be good - lots of...erm, cheap DVDs available out there. Otherwise, an MP3 player if she doesnt already have one.
    HTH

:cool:
    Per Ardua Ad Astra
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    She has Mp3 player and Laptop - will ask her OH if she's taking the laptop otherwise her early christmas pressie might be a cheapy portable DVD player!
    Good point about the chocolate! Hadn't thought about that!
    Also didn't know stuff under 2 kg goes for free!! Even better!!!
    SO main going out there pressie will be dvd player if applicable - and a bunch of *cough* cheap DVDs. She's not a very girly girl but if I can find any motorbike magazines she likes I'll send them out to her in her shoeboxes (I'm a money saver - how often do you think I buy shoes that come in boxes :P - I'll have to beg some I think hehe)

Then it's Jammie Dodgers, boiled sweets - ooo might do a retro sweetbox if I can find enough that don't melt! - crisps, maybe the occasional molton brown lotion and shower stuff...
    Would girly time of month stuff be worth sending out? Seriously I assume they can buy or get issued stuff out there, but is it cheapy stuff and would some Always be worth sending out once a month?
    DFW Nerd #025

• 1012donna
    1012donna Posts: 11,517 Forumite
    Options
    Find out if she has air conditioned accomodation. My friend is out there and he hasn't so his wife sent him a little fan. He keeps an iced bottle of water in front of it whilst sleeping and it sprays water on him to keep him cool.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club Member No. 68
  • waggys
    waggys Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What about a jar of marmite? You either love it or hate it!
  • Marker_2
    Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    Options
    Shes going out for 6 months .... I thought RAF only did 4?

Echo everyones comments really. I just sent the OH is favourite sweets, crisps and biscuits. A book I thought he might like, lots of pictures, wet wipes, mints, chewing gums.

You can top up her phonecard as well don't forget!
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum :money:
    Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not sure why but she's out there for 6 - I think she's in the MPs or security or something at the moment (I'm a Navy gal so this airforce stuff is like a different world to me!) so maybe that's why she's out there for longer? I honestly don't know so I'll ask her next time she's over :)
    Ooo phone cards... hadn't thought of them either! (this list is growing!)
    DFW Nerd #025

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport