Moving to Ayrshire

Kit1
Kit1 Posts: 422
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
Not sure if this is the best page but we are looking for a small flat around the area and wondered if anyone had any advice on the best parts. We have seen some in Saltcoats but as we are relocating from England we don't know the areas well.

TIA
Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    To rent or buy?
    I would suggest you rent and give yourself time to look around before making a purchase.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry forgot to say buying.
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
  • elly68
    elly68 Posts: 2,516
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    do you have jobs to go to ,if so where .if not I love ayr itself theres a train station and flats are relatively cheap .
    So did well on the cc front mortgage bashing next .car finishes in 3 payments .This year gonna swim in lochs and under a waterfallKeep painting try and make it my semi retired career
  • Ayrshire native.

Avoid Kilmarnock, Irvine, Saltcoats, Stevenston, Kilwinning, Kilbirnie and Ardrossan.

Beith and Dalry are okay.

The coastal towns of Ayr (some parts: avoid Newton-on-Ayr), Prestwick and Troon are desirable. Troon is very desirable but Prestwick is more affordable and (in my view) the best of the 3. All these places are ideally suitable for commuting to Glasgow.

Northern areas: Skelmorlie, Largs, Fairlie, Seamill and West Kilbride are all desirable places. Largs is the largest of these and has a good secondary school.

Great Cumbrae (Millport) is a lovely wee island and easy to commute to the mainland (10 minute ferry to Largs, with fast rail link to Paisley and Glasgow).

Girvan is too far south from the main centres, former seaside resort which has seen better days.

Avoid Maybole (north and inland of Girvan).

Ballantrae is a lovely village but too far south of the main centres. It is on the southern boundary of South Ayrshire.

Avoid the inland ex-mining areas (eg Dalmellington, Patna, Cumnock, New Cumnock, Darvel, Auchenleck). The inhabitants are fiercely loyal to these places but it would be quite difficult to integrate as a newcomer. While there is beautiful countryside surrounding these areas, the towns/villages are not attractive with a few notable exceptions (eg Sorn village).
  • Ayrshire native.

Avoid Kilmarnock, Irvine, Saltcoats, Stevenston, Kilwinning, Kilbirnie and Ardrossan.

Beith and Dalry are okay.

The coastal towns of Ayr (some parts: avoid Newton-on-Ayr), Prestwick and Troon are desirable. Troon is very desirable but Prestwick is more affordable and (in my view) the best of the 3. All these places are ideally suitable for commuting to Glasgow.

Northern areas: Skelmorlie, Largs, Fairlie, Seamill and West Kilbride are all desirable places. Largs is the largest of these and has a good secondary school.

Great Cumbrae (Millport) is a lovely wee island and easy to commute to the mainland (10 minute ferry to Largs, with fast rail link to Paisley and Glasgow).

Girvan is too far south from the main centres, former seaside resort which has seen better days.

Avoid Maybole (north and inland of Girvan).

Ballantrae is a lovely village but too far south of the main centres. It is on the southern boundary of South Ayrshire.

Avoid the inland ex-mining areas (eg Dalmellington, Patna, Cumnock, New Cumnock, Darvel, Auchenleck). The inhabitants are fiercely loyal to these places but it would be quite difficult to integrate as a newcomer. While there is beautiful countryside surrounding these areas, the towns/villages are not attractive with a few notable exceptions (eg Sorn village).

Hattie,

I found this extremely interesting, thank you. I too am looking to move to Ayrshire or the surrounding areas. I have found a house in Mauchline and wondered if you have any knowledge of this area? Thank you!
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Kit1 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the best page but we are looking for a small flat around the area and wondered if anyone had any advice on the best parts. We have seen some in Saltcoats but as we are relocating from England we don't know the areas well.

TIA

Would not relocate to Scotland, Most of the professional people I know are thinking about moving to England to get away from an oppressive government and high taxes etc.:o
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ayrshire is a big county. I am assuming you will be moving for work, where do you need to commute to and how long are you willing to commute each day?
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 27 July 2019 at 10:23PM
    Hattie,

I found this extremely interesting, thank you. I too am looking to move to Ayrshire or the surrounding areas. I have found a house in Mauchline and wondered if you have any knowledge of this area? Thank you!

In my experience Mauchline itself is OK. It's a fairly small town, and one or two of the pubs can be a bit rough, but you get that most places. Like most Ayrshire towns there are very few shops left, but as long as you have a car, it's not the worst place in the world.

It's handy for Kilmarnock and Ayr, but nobody shops there anymore. Nowadays the M77 takes you straight to Silverburn in less than 15 mins.
  • Hasbeen wrote: »
    Would not relocate to Scotland, Most of the professional people I know are thinking about moving to England to get away from an oppressive government and high taxes etc.:o

Glad that's not a sweeping generalisation

Tax- no extra costs if you earn < £33k, £10 a week extra at £50k

In Scotland you get
    • No prescription charges
    • No tuition fees (if there several years)
    • Better ran NHS
    • Better run local services
    • Better broadband- was at a farm cottage in the back of Mauchline last week and the tenant told me that they were installing fibre over the next 2 months (new poles to feed 5 farms and 3 cottages)

The councils are better run- I stay in East Ayrshire and a 3 bedroom council house is £85 a week in rent.

I stay and work in Ayrshire and like it. The people are good and decent, you get a few muppets but that is the same all over the world.
    baldly going on...
  • You can also rent before you buy- the new tenancy agreement is a PRT now - for private lets.
    There is no 6 month minimum term and the tenant can give 28 days notice after 1 day of living there.
    There are restrictions on the landlord ending a tenancy - there are no 'no-fault' evictions now for tenancies started after 1st December 2017 in Scotland
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport