Debit card details over the phone, what info is necessary?

I have just had to give my debit card details over the phone in order to secure an appointment for my daughter so they did not need to have my address they still wanted my postcode and house number is that really necessary?

I don't like paying for anything this way and avoid if possible but they wouldnt book the appointment otherwise. I didnt like having to give the 3 digits on the back either but thought they would ask for these but the extra I thought might have been unnecessary? Should I be worried?
Thanx

Lady_K

Comments

• ianders
    ianders Posts: 223 Forumite
    They'll likely tie up the address you gave them to the card-holders address. It's an anti-fraud measure and is quite common.

For the same reason many online retailers will only send to card-holders address for first-time purchases.
  • jen245
    jen245 Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I take debit/credit card payments over the telephone very day in my job, and for the payment to be authorised, we need the security code on the back, the house number and postcode of the billing address, and the start and expiry dates on the card.
    Debt free and staying that way! :beer:
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Some websites state that your address is optional if they are not physically delivering the product, but do note that if the address is not given that the card issuer may decline the transaction. I've had this happen myself. Transaction declined, filled in the address and tried again, transaction authorised.

It's just protection to make sure someone hasn't just found your wallet on the floor and trying to make a purchase. Of course, not every card issuer does this. Also, the supplier themselves might decide to perform AVS (Address Verification) before submitting the request for payment, or might request it along with the authorisation.
  • jen245 wrote: »
    I take debit/credit card payments over the telephone very day in my job, and for the payment to be authorised, we need the security code on the back, the house number and postcode of the billing address, and the start and expiry dates on the card.

I was going to say the same thing, the card machine I use asks for the numbers of the postcode and house number if the cardholder's not present.
  • pqrdef
    pqrdef Posts: 4,552 Forumite
    Gromitt wrote: »
    It's just protection to make sure someone hasn't just found your wallet on the floor and trying to make a purchase.
    If somebody's found my wallet, they've got my address. It's on my driving licence.

Ideally the system would only be used where the retailer has some reason to trust the customer's address - and never to take a payment from somebody who isn't even the customer.

But it's the same story whatever they try - it'll be undermined by those who think security is just an inconvenient obstacle to be subverted.
    "It will take, five, 10, 15 years to get back to where we need to be. But it's no longer the individual banks that are in the wrong, it's the banking industry as a whole." - Steven Cooper, head of personal and business banking at Barclays, talking to Martin Lewis
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    pqrdef wrote: »
    If somebody's found my wallet, they've got my address. It's on my driving licence.
    I never carry my driving license around with me unless I'm going to be using it that day for things like identification. It stays at home otherwise in its plastic wallet. Its far too valuable.
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    pqrdef wrote: »

Its amazing how people focus on the bad things.

If someone found your wallet with your drivers license in it they know who to give it to. Why assume that everyone out there is set to defraud us at any possible attempt. (I'm waiting for the barrage of responses........)

With regards to the OP, if you are concerned then keep a check on your bank account. If the business you have done the transaction with is reputable what is the worry about.
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Lady_K wrote: »
    I didnt like having to give the 3 digits on the back either but thought they would ask for these but the extra I thought might have been unnecessary? Should I be worried?

The whole point of the CVV was security for transactions where the card holder is not present.... Its the online/phone PIN for the card. So why would you worry about giving it out?

Address. Well again its security to confirm who you are. Especially as you are making a booking for a 3rd party.
    Look at it from their point of view.... All they have is your word that you are booking for you daughter.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • Hominu
    Hominu Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    pinkdalek wrote: »
    Its amazing how people focus on the bad things.

If someone found your wallet with your drivers license in it they know who to give it to.
    I lost my driving license once when I kept it in my wallet. I thought it was a sensible thing to do at the time. The wallet wasn't returned to me, nor was it handed in anywhere where I asked. I had to cancel the cards, obviously lost the cash that was in the wallet, and when I told the DVLA, they charged me £17.50 for a replacement photocard!

Then two weeks later I received a "Thank you" letter from a bank where I had apparently opened a savings account. I had to take down my passport, bank statements and utility bills to close down the account. Guess what they used as ID...

So it's now kept in the safe.
  • pqrdef
    pqrdef Posts: 4,552 Forumite
    dalesrider wrote: »
    The whole point of the CVV was security for transactions where the card holder is not present.... Its the online/phone PIN for the card.
    So why do they always say not to write the PIN on the card?
    "It will take, five, 10, 15 years to get back to where we need to be. But it's no longer the individual banks that are in the wrong, it's the banking industry as a whole." - Steven Cooper, head of personal and business banking at Barclays, talking to Martin Lewis
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure