PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

EPC Assessment

Options
My chosen Estate Agent appointed an EPC assessor to carry out a pre-sale EPC. Having enjoyed his company for 2 hours yesterday, I do not know whether to laugh or cry. If an EPC is all about energy saving, then most of my home improvements just went over his head. For example, I have an ‘A’ Rated boiler which is installed/designed to operate at a low max flow temperature. He wrote down the boiler manufacturer but not the model. When I asked about boiler data, the response was ‘I will get it off the database’. When I mentioned design flow temperature, he just shrugged his shoulders. I had to show him the Dec 17 RdSAP convention. Things then went downhill, when I asked about zoning. ‘You haven’t got zoning as there is no thermostat upstairs’ was the response. He took some convincing that Honeywell Evohome with its 12 time/temperature-controlled zones actually meets the the RdSAP zoning criteria. We then got into a discussion about a missing CH pump. ‘It’s part of the boiler’ was my response and I showed him the boiler handbook. I am not sure that he was convinced.

This afternoon, I got a further call with an urgent question: ‘I am right in thinking that your property is timber frame’? He couldn’t have got it more wrong. He told me that he had been doing EPC assessments for 10 years. He is now revising his assessment.

It’s no wonder that Lettings organisations have little faith in the EPC process if my surveyor is an indication of the people that the system trains/qualifies.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    EPCs are a total waste of time.

The assessors have about 1 days trainig, mainly on how to use the computer system.

The system is a tick-box excercise - they make best guesses ( :rotfl:) and enter these on their system which then churns out some waste paper that sellers are required to give buyers.

I hope that if you paid, it was no more than £45-£45?

If offered 'free' by the estate agent, you'll find yourself tied to that agent. Should you wish to switch, you'll be hit with a masssive carge for the EPC..
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am tied to an Estate Agency for 10 weeks but it has a good reputation locally for getting sales. They are taking my comments about the EPC assessor seriously, and they have said that they will pay for another assessor if I am not happy with the Final EPC. As I said above, the assessor is now reviewing his homework as he knows that there is a possibility that there may be a second audit.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    I am tied to an Estate Agency for 10 weeks but it has a good reputation locally for getting sales..
    I was just pointing out the probable termss of your 'free' EPC (if indeed it was free).

In the event that your EA fails to live up to his 'good reputation locally' and you are disappointed, and decide to switch after 10 weeks, the 'free' EPC will suddenly no longer be free....
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    The benefits of a listed building, no EPC!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure