Inheritance Tax: Save £100,000s with simple advanced planning Article Discussion

Comments

• harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Thanks Margaret,

Yes I suppose I should think about Power of Attorney too.
    I might be struck down by a stroke at any time.
    I think Enduring Powers of Attorney are in the process of becoming Lasting Powers of Attorney, though existing EPA's will still be effective.
    My late mother was struck down by a stroke, fortunately not "massive", and I picked up a PA/EPA on a single form from a legal stationer, on my way to the hospital - which could have been cutting it a bit fine.
    In the event I managed to muddle through just as an authorised signatory on her bank account, as using the PoA was difficult. "Saturday staff" have no idea what to do, when offered a PoA.

Harry

PS My in-laws have done what you are doing, but in our case my wife and brother in law are named as sort of "long stops" if both husband & wife become incapable.

The only other observation I would make is that I somewhat simplified my posting above, I did not want to write a book about it: Grandmother appointed absentee daughter, soon to die son and family solicitor as executors/trustees and "Auntie" very nearly got a telegram from the queen. You can imagine the effect of 70's inflation and the need for a solicitor to organise replacement of a dripping tap! To make it simple, what other investments there were rapidly ran down, when charged (say) 750 per year. When it started to look like extracting equity from the house to settle outstanding professional charges; I as one of 3 grandchildren/"remaindermen" managed to substitute myself and a family friend as trustees of the trust that lasted 29 years. I think the 6 great grand children agree that I did the right thing. My message to the younger generation is "honour thy father & mothers relatives" (yes and add at least one zero to any figure from 35 years ago to get present values.)
    PPS
    Here is my favourite executor story:

Do you remember the days when wills were still kept at Somerset house ?
    Well one day I was climbing the couple of steps, ready to pull open the front door, with its polished brass handle; when it burst open towards me.
    Hurtling through the door came a female looking backwards and speaking to two males. She was self evidently in charge and they could have been her brothers.
    Just before she thudded into me she issued the immortal words: "Would you believe it; the crafty old b a s t a r d .............".
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Hi Harry

Yes, you definitely do need to do it. It's fast becoming the kind of thing that 'everybody should have', in the same way that everybody should have a will, although many still don't!!

I have taken on board advice from people here - you must have a second attorney! What happens if both are struck down at the same time, or one gradually becomes ga-ga and the other one is subsequently struck down?

Our EPAs are written so that they only need come into effect in the event of becoming mentally incapable, and the second one only needs to come into effect if the question of the house being sold arises. It's important to put 'jointly and severally' rather than 'jointly'.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • localhero
    localhero Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That's the whole point of EPAs. At that point they must be registered, then the appointed attorney acts. Otherwise the Public Guardianship Office has to appoint a receiver, and the process is time consuming, burdensome, expensive and intrusive.

Most EPAs are delayed in the same way that margaretclare and her hubby's are, but they can be effective immediately if need be.
    [FONT=&quot]Public wealth warning![/FONT][FONT=&quot] It's not compulsory for solicitors or Willwriters to pass an exam in writing Wills - probably the most important thing you’ll ever sign.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Membership of the Institute of Professional Willwriters is acquired by passing an entrance exam and complying with an OFT endorsed code of practice, and I declare myself a member.[/FONT]
  • localhero
    Yes that's right sav4it. E stands for enduring, which means it continues after it's been registered. Without an EPA at this point is the real hassle. The point of registration is a few safeguards - the donor and certain other close members must be notified.
    [FONT=&quot]Public wealth warning![/FONT][FONT=&quot] It's not compulsory for solicitors or Willwriters to pass an exam in writing Wills - probably the most important thing you’ll ever sign.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Membership of the Institute of Professional Willwriters is acquired by passing an entrance exam and complying with an OFT endorsed code of practice, and I declare myself a member.[/FONT]
  • localhero
    Hi Rod,

I am not here to promote my own business. By referring to the website is allowing access to information (which the public quite clearly do seem to need). This forum is UK wide and since my firm is based in London, that rules me out of 95% of the audience of this site. By making reference to the price the firm charges serves to illustrate how overpriced others are. I at least have the integrity to declare my interest.

I also advise the forum readers to select a willwriter that is a member of the Insitute of Professional Willwriters to ensure they receive a service from someone that is properly qualified, regulated and insured and who operates a clear pricing structure. Members must undertake an initial period of study in order to pass the entrance exam and adhere to a strict code of conduct. Thereafter they are required to undertake a continuing programme of Continuing Professional Development and regular Criminal Records Bureau checks and to hold professional Indemnity Insurance of at least £2million. Perhaps you might consider taking the entrance exam yourself and joining?

Most people are amazed to learn that there is no legal restriction to prevent anyone at all setting up a willwriting practice in the UK. That's someone without any formal training or examinations whatsoever - perhaps even with a criminal record. These bad apples calling themselves willwriters, quite often bring the whole profession into disrepute. Remember National Legal Services? This was a firm that was eventually wound up by the Department of Trade and Industry on the grounds that 'the company was being operated disreputably and contrary to the public interest' The petition alleged also a 'deliberate lack of transparency ...and the involvement of a previously disqualified director.' Unfortunately that leaves 1000's of people unaware of the legality or the whereabouts of their wills.

Anyone can call themselves a willwriter, for the layman the difference is very hard to recognise. Any deficiencies are unlikely to become apparent during their lifetime, and it's their beneficiaries who will suffer the consequences with little prospect of redress or compensation. It's really about time the government regulated the profession so that the cowboys are eliminated once and for all. I make no apology for alerting the public to select a professional from the IPW for their own security and peace of mind.

• Hi Localhero,

As I posted your advice is helpful and welcomed. I don't personally have any objections to you promoting the Institute of Professional Willwriters as a trade body for will writers (but if you were offering unbiased advice why do you not suggest members of the Society of Will Writers? Their membership is bigger than the IPW, all members carry PI £2m, have demonstrated their skill levels, and undertake Professional Development), and your comments about people needing advice is, in my opinion, correct.

But I do object to you promoting your own website. Your site carries similar information to many will-writing websites; your fees are cheaper than some, and more expensive than others. Your information on the site is broad, but at times a little scaremongering. And whilst it promotes the advantages of trusts it does not give a balanced view by listing the dangers and risks of including them in your will. Other websites do. Your site is not the answer to all persons. Any whilst you do declare your interest in the membership of the IPW I do not recall reading such a statement about your own website in any of your posts.

You state in the above post ....

I am not here to promote my own business. By referring to the website is allowing access to information (which the public quite clearly do seem to need). '

But this site contains far more information than yours (or my own) website, often with unbiased slants towards achieving a sale. In my opinion you can still give honest, quality, advice without directing people to your site (and contravening this site's rules in the process)

As for your comment ....
    localhero wrote: »
    Members [of IPW] must undertake an initial period of study in order to pass the entrance exam and adhere to a strict code of conduct. Thereafter they are required to undertake a continuing programme of Continuing Professional Development and regular Criminal Records Bureau checks and to hold professional Indemnity Insurance of at least £2million. Perhaps you might consider taking the entrance exam yourself and joining?

I did consider joining the IPW but in the end chose the Society of Will Writers. When I was considering starting my business and was speaking to the IPW I was told because of my professional qualifications and experience I would 'walk the exam' and because they only arrange the exams 6 monthly and the date had just passed I chose the SWW. Incidentally, your website does not give any information about your own professional qualifications; perhaps that is something you can address.

Regards,

Rod
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Under present legislation and tax rules; it would seem sensible for many people to create a discretionary trust in their will (instead of trying to rule from the grave). The executors/trustees & the beneficiaries can then have up to two years to debate, in the view of circumstances then applying, how they want the estate to be devolved. Obviously it could get messy, but careful choice of executors/trustees plus briefing them before you pop your clogs, should take care of that.
    Believe me an inflexible will, containing clauses that are self evidently out of date, can be even more of a headache. So expect a professional will to be an almost annual source of expenditure, as you have to keep checking that it will still do legally and tax wise, what you thought it would, when you signed it.

So here is my question:
    If you, like the majority of the population don't bother to make a will, you get lumbered with a set of rules that the Government claims represents an average of the wills that those who leave wills make. (By definition this must mean a will that is about 20 years out of date! and there are some administrative problems too that will normally mean getting an (expensive) solicitor involved).
    However can the family, having juggled the rules of who has to act as the administrators, then create a valid "Deed of Variation" (Sometimes called a deed of family arrangement)? This would in effect create a dead person's will after they had died, complete with the latest techniques for minimising taxation?
    Has anyone had experience of sorting out an intestacy, in this way?

Harry.

PS For what it is worth, here are my thoughts on the ethics of localhero's postings:
    There are several other people offering (for free) their advice on this forum, with the probable agenda that the rest of us can sign up for their services if we want to.
    I see nothing wrong with a plumber telling us how to replace a tap washer for example and saying "I am a member of the certified institute of plumbing" (or what ever their trades union is called).
    However I would prefer to see the declaration of interest in their published details or in the signature bar at the bottom of their message.
    Invitations to check their private business web site should come as as result of inviting readers to learn more by sending them a Private Message rather than risk being awarded the order of the tin of SPAM, in the next reply.
    PPS Hi localhero, The "Which?" guide points out that if you are the person in line for an eventual "reversionary interest" from the ending of an "interest in possession" trust, you can give away/pass on your interest tax free; perhaps thereby skipping a generation. It then goes on to discuss the the problem of getting half the value of the house out of IHT on the first death. One suggestion is the method you recommend: Leave it to a discretionary trust that then makes a loan to the remaining spouse, so he/she can buy back the dead spouses half, but will later die with a big debt. The second suggestion is to: "Set up an interest in possession trust in your will that does not meet all the conditions necessary for it to qualify as an IPDI trust - get professional advice on how to do this". (Where IPDI stands for Immediate Post Death Interest in possession trust). Localhero do you have the professionalism to explain to the rest of us what "Which?" is trying to suggest with its second option ?

PPPS Woops beaten by one minute by the previous posting - Perhaps Rod would like to have a go at explaining the second "Which?" option too?
  • localhero
    Hi Rod

I don't think I really need to vouch for my will writing credentials, but since you enquire and I have nothing to hide, I shall enlighten you. I have a degree in law. I took my finals (now called the Legal Practice Course) at the College of Law Guildford, achieving a distinction in the private client: Wills, trusts and estate planning elective. Legal experience has been gained working for several law firms. I passed the Institute of Professional Willwriters entrance exam at my first attempt.

I'm not sure how you didn't notice, but every page of my website displays the IPW logo. I also carry documentation with me to all my appointments of my membership as well as my certificate of Professional Indemnity Insurance. Sadly hardly anyone checks, but if they do they can easily contact the IPW or visit their website to check my credentials.

I'm not sure who told you you would 'walk the exam'. Nobody at the IPW would that's for sure. Even with my experience and qualifications I had to study hard to achieve the required 70%+ pass mark. Solicitors that have been writing wills for years take the exam in the hope of obtaining the enviably low PII premiums that IPW members receive. Sadly (and quite embarrassingly for them) a lot of them fail the exam. This illustrates my often repeated point, that not all willwriters are the same. Even paying a premium price to a solicitor is no guarantee that the will will be written with the skill and precision required so that it's tailored to the individual circumstances of the client.

So have no fear my friend - you are not dealing with a cowboy. It's a shame you decided not to take the IPW exam, instead opting for an organisation that doesn't demand any formal qualifications in willwriting. I don't think I need say anymore really.

I don't wish to hijack the forum (I do occasionally feel the need to correct the erroneous replies/advice given), so I will allow you to exercise your undoubted expertise and answer Harryhound's post first at his suggestion.

With respect to your comments about my site, all the information there is an indication of what needs to be considered when contemplating making a will. Of course there are pros and cons of every course of action (including trusts) and these are clearly explained to my clients face to face according to their circumstances (and in writing later on). That is why I state quite clearly at the bottom of my homepage, that there is no substitute for face to face professional advice. All of my fees are also clearly outlined so that there are no unpleasant surprises at the end for the client. I would recommend you do likewise, perhaps you would like to explain why you haven't. And what aspect of my site is scaremongering exactly?

PS you have misquoted me. SWW have been inserted in the brackets which makes the statement factually incorrect. Could you please amend it to IPW (my original posting) and if in the future you do want to quote my words, at least have the integrity to do it accurately.

Kind regards
    Localhero

• Hi Localhero,

Firstly… Please accept my apologies for my original misquote. Originally I copied your whole post and then realised that the same message could be conveyed with far more clarity with a slight amendment; unfortunately I put in the wrong trade body. Ooops. I have corrected the error. And again, my apologies.

Thanks for setting out your qualifications. In my original post I was suggesting that you show these on your website (I could not see them anywhere) - I was not asking you to justify your credentials on the MSE site, but was suggesting a possible way of persuading visitors to your website that you were a true professional; I can see how, on reflection, you thought I was asking for them to be displayed here. Having seen your reply though I am even more sure you should show them on the your site; your qualifications must make you stand out from the crowd (of other will writers); from a marketing angle aren't these qualifications one of your unique selling points?

With regards to your comment …

'I'm not sure who told you you would 'walk the exam'. Nobody at the IPW would that's for sure.'

I can assure you my original statement was true. I called them to discuss my possible membership and spent a long time chatting to the person (sadly I do not recall their name, and in reality it is unimportant now). Were they talking about some entrance exam? Have standards of entry changed? Was their comment a marketing tactic to get me to join? I don't know; I just wanted to join, and that's what was said. Incidentally, I was not dumbing down the entrance exam, merely answering your statement ... 'Perhaps you might consider taking the entrance exam yourself and joining?' and showing why I decided to use a different trade body.

With regards to …

'And what aspect of my site is scaremongering exactly?'.

To give you an example … your page relating to protecting property from the traps of long term care. The opening paragraph includes the statement … 'In fact statistically women have a 1 in 4 chance of requiring long term care in old age.' The article then goes on to mention other facts, such as 70,000 homes are sold each year to fund long term care, and care costs around £30-40k p.a. must be paid for. As individual statements the facts quoted may be correct.

It's the combination of these facts that, I feel, is perhaps a little misleading. How many of the 25% of the female population who will go into long-term care will live past the 12th week? How many of those who remain alive will then be forced to sell their property? And of those who do have to sell their house what percentage actually stay in care long enough for their costs to eat into what was their former spouses share (and that you could have protected with a will.) rather than their own share? Your wording implies that 25% of all women will benefit from the trust protection included within their will.

The phrases you used on your website are quoted by many on-line will writers. It was from your earlier claims (that you were more professional than the average will writer) that I had expected to see a more balanced viewpoint - perhaps an explanation of the risks of including these trust clauses in a will. Hope that explains my comments, and is helpful to you.

With regard to the fees I quote on my site I would indeed like to quote a full range of fees. My problem is that I have 16 or so introducers scattered across three counties, some very local, some not. Further, a few introducers load my fees when quoting prices to their clients. The fee matrix becomes so complex that no one would understand it. I have tried a number of options; presently I show indication prices for people living locally. But, thanks for your feedback.

I agree with you that many people are unaware of the credentials of many will writers. Hopefully, the MSE site help increase public awareness. I also enjoy the challenge of finding solutions for the posts, and being reprimanded if I get it wrong … and so with that in mind I'll now attempt to answer Harryhounds question.

Regards,

Rod
  • Hi Harry,

You wrote …
    The second suggestion [by Which?] is to: "Set up an interest in possession trust in your will that does not meet all the conditions necessary for it to qualify as an IPDI trust - get professional advice on how to do this". (Where IPDI stands for Immediate Post Death Interest in possession trust).

Reading from the original post and the key words above I wonder if the Which? author is referring to leaving the residue of a deceased person's estate to a surviving spouse or civil partner on flexible life interest trusts?

On the first death, where estate planning has been put into place, it is quite common for larger estates to use up the deceased person's Nil Rate Band (NRB) allowance either by way of absolute gift to children/non-exempt beneficiaries, or to use a discretionary trust. Localhero explained such a trust in his earlier post.

For estates still larger than the NRB threshold (presently £300,000) there is the possibility to place the residue (the amount remaining after the absolute gift or the transfer to the discretionary trust mentioned above) into a flexible life interest trust. The benefit is that this residue passes to the surviving spouse or civil partner initially, and is therefore exempt from inheritance tax under the exemption rules. The surviving spouse (or civil partner) has the benefit of all the income. The capital is not available to them however, as this is protected for the ultimate beneficiary of the flexible life interest trust.

The risk when creating these trusts is that rather than creating a flexible life interest trust the will actually creates an IPDI trust (Immediate Post Death Interest trust).

The following are definitions copied from the HM Revenue and Customs website …
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cto/glossary.htm#i

Immediate post-death interest (IPDI)
    The Finance Act 2006 defined an immediate post-death interest (IPDI) as one where a person has an interest in possession in settled property
    and all the following apply:
    - the settlement was was effected by will or under an intestacy;
    - the beneficiary became beneficially entitled to the interest in possession on the death of the testator or intestate.

Further, the site goes on to explain …

An interest in a trust arising on or after 22 March 2006 will be regarded as an interest in possession (and therefore treated for IHT purposes as owned by the person having an interest in possession) if it is one of the following:
    · an immediate post-death interest
    · a 'disabled persons interest
    · a transitional serial interest

So, if an IPDI is created then the asset is deemed to be owned by the surviving spouse, rather than the beneficiaries of the flexible life interest trust (i.e. the children).

The difference between an IPDI trust and a flexible life interest trust (FLIT) is that the FLIT must allow the trustees the power to appoint capital to the spouse or issue/children, depending upon circumstances, and (I believe) the power to terminate all or part of the life interest.

I hope the above is helpful, and perhaps more importantly answers the question correctly.

Since the introduction of the Finance Act 2006 we have seen a new regime of trusts and taxation coming into force. Many people are unaware of the implications of these new tax rules, and continue to have old wills that could create problems for their executors and/or beneficiaries when they die.

Regards,

Rod
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport