Work induced stress.

Hello I was looking for some advice as I am at a loss what to do. I have been working for the same organisation for a year and a half and from the start have been open about my history of depression since starting, telling my supervisor, my deputy manager and manager (silly levels of management). About a year ago my deputy manager started making awful comments to me and on speaking up was subsequently threatened with my job by manager for having done so.

After a similar incident in tears I went to HR and a told that they would seek a informal resolution...this never helped and in the following months my health detiriated and I began to be sick from work for short amounts of time. HR sent me to the company's doctor and the report said that the reasonable allowance for my disability would be for the situation with my manages to be sorted. HRs response was to force me to submit a formal complaint. I have been lucky enough to have an amazing union rep. They found that it had not been bullying or harassment but that they know all the incidents happened but the department is institutionalised. i asaid that i I just wanted to stop being made ill from work and that was the whole purpose of the complaint and they saidthat I can't expect everything to fix its self come Monday. We have decided to appeal but hr would not release the report of the complaint to us but now they have it is clear that the three layers of management have just stuck together.

I went to the doctors this morning and have now been sighned off for two weeks because of depression and work related stress. I am angry that knowing my condition they have put me through this complaints procedure and find it hard to imagine having to work under them again. I really don't know what to do...whether it is now worth the appeal as they have proven they are not objective.

I believe they have a legal obligation to make the reasonable adjustments specified by the doctors but they just haven't done anything other than asking me to make the complaint and now it's been two months and I'm in this situation.

Comments

• CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    Hello I was looking for some advice as I am at a loss what to do. I have been working for the same organisation for a year and a half and from the start have been open about my history of depression since starting, telling my supervisor, my deputy manager and manager (silly levels of management). About a year ago my deputy manager started making awful comments to me and on speaking up was subsequently threatened with my job by manager for having done so.

After a similar incident in tears I went to HR and a told that they would seek a informal resolution...this never helped and in the following months my health detiriated and I began to be sick from work for short amounts of time. HR sent me to the company's doctor and the report said that the reasonable allowance for my disability would be for the situation with my manages to be sorted. HRs response was to force me to submit a formal complaint. I have been lucky enough to have an amazing union rep. They found that it had not been bullying or harassment but that they know all the incidents happened but the department is institutionalised. i asaid that i I just wanted to stop being made ill from work and that was the whole purpose of the complaint and they saidthat I can't expect everything to fix its self come Monday. We have decided to appeal but hr would not release the report of the complaint to us but now they have it is clear that the three layers of management have just stuck together.

I went to the doctors this morning and have now been sighned off for two weeks because of depression and work related stress. I am angry that knowing my condition they have put me through this complaints procedure and find it hard to imagine having to work under them again. I really don't know what to do...whether it is now worth the appeal as they have proven they are not objective.

I believe they have a legal obligation to make the reasonable adjustments specified by the doctors but they just haven't done anything other than asking me to make the complaint and now it's been two months and I'm in this situation.

Hi

This situation is clearly causing you a lot of stress. Ultimately you have to decide with guidance what you want to do.

The questions are essentially, will you be able ( with help ) to find a resolution to the situation so that you will be able to continue working them without further problems or do you need to perhaps seek alternative employment. You could use the assistance of your helpful union representative to continue with the grievance process and we would caution against pre-judging the outcome of it.

As well as the union your local CAB may have an experienced employment advisor who could help you with these issues and guide you through the grievance process if you feel that you could cope with this.

In general your employer does indeed have a duty to make reasonable adjustments for individuals who fall within the meaning of the act and potentially there is a legal remedy for falling to do so. See the item below on adviceguide for more information on these issues and where you can get help to sort them out.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/discrimination_e/discrimination_discrimination_because_of_disability_e/disability_discrimination.htm#disability_discrimination_at_work
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure