Redundancy Over Over 60

Catherine111
Catherine111 Posts: 3 Newbie
Hi,

One of my friends is 63. She's been watching her circumstances at work, as her employer is always saying how hours need to be cut back. He has never said anything about redundancy, but she wants to look into it incase. She has worked for there for 30 odd years. There's more than her works there too.. Some have worked 2 years or less and so would be entitled to very little, so she'd probably be one of the last to go anyway.
So if anything was to happen in which he could make her take redundancy, would she get her payout? She gets her pension, since she turned pension age. When she turns 65 will she receive anything?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 August 2012 at 5:17PM
    Redundancy is paid at any age now, regardless of sex.

If she goes onto the .gov webpage there is a ready reckoner as to the amount of redundancy she would be entitled to.

Mind I'm not sure how many years she will be counted as 'employed' not sure that it might even only be the last 3 if she was the licensee.

Basically under normal circumstances, it is 1 week salary for each full year up to a total of 20. (up to the age of 41) then it is 1.5 weeks pay for each full year. Capped at £430 a week;

I went into all this last year when I was made redundant at the age of 61.5.

As for NI if she should not be paying it at all if she is of pension age.
    It should not have doubled, it is a percentage of wages - 12% at the moment.

You say she is taking her pension, do you mean state pension, if she is she should not be paying NI at all. Tell her to ring the HMRC she needs a form to give to her employer to tell them to stop deducting it.

How many hours does she work a week, I'm fairly sure she should be paying tax.

Does she get a payslip
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Catherine111
    edited 3 August 2012 at 6:12PM
    Thanks for your reply,

I'm sure she'll be able to claim redundancy through something like being the Manager. However, she was told by a few people since she's at retirement age, and can claim a state pension she would be entitled to nothing other than Holiday pay?

Thanks again guys
  • McKneff
    Forumite
    edited 3 August 2012 at 5:28PM
    Thanks for your reply,

It is her state pension, and yes, that must be right, she doesn't pay NI just tax, because when she hit pension age they doubled her tax and she no longer paid NI.
    Thanks for clearing that up

She was the licensee for many years, and I'm sure she'll be able to claim redundancy through something like being the Manager for 34 years. However, she was told by a few people since she's at retirement age, and can claim a state pension she would be entitled to nothing other than Holiday pay?

Thanks again guys

No, doesnt apply now, a number of years ago, it went up to the same age as men (65) and then just a couple of years ago it was abolished altogether so you get redundancy pay at any age if you are truly made redundant.
    Its all in black and white on the .gov web pages.

Have a google for it. try .gov/redundancy, something will pop up.
    The rise in tax will probably be because her statepension is taxable income too. They cant knock it off the pension so they add her income from all sources and take it off the only place they can, - her wages.
  • Catherine111
    edited 3 August 2012 at 6:00PM
    Thank you! But that only guarantees her until she turns 65, right? Because then she can be forced into retirement?
  • McKneff
    Forumite
    edited 3 August 2012 at 5:44PM
    I dont even think they can force retirement now, but if they make her redundant at any time at any age they have to pay redundancy, simple as that. Age doesnt matter now. Its the law

Have a google, Its not just my opinion, its fact.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport