Child Maintenance, when does it stop?

I was wondering at what age of child does child maintenance stop?

My Ex pays the CSA who pay me from his wages. It gets taken from his wages direct from a court order.

Does it stop when my daughter turns 16 or 18?

I want to know because at the moment the money goes into my bank account and i want to start budgeting so that when the maintenance stops i don't lose out in my budget, for example, once she turns 15 i will put the money into a savings bank account for her rather then mine so i won't miss the money once it stops.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I think it stops when either she finishes school after upper sixth or when she gets a job. Whichever happens first.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    She is staying on to the sixth form. What happens if my ex stops paying once she turns 16? Does the CSA tell him before hand that he will have to pay an extra year once she stays on?
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It stops when your child leaves full time education and child benefit stops, or at age 19 whichever comes first.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    So do the CSA contact his firm or does his firm stop the payments on my ex's request?

I'm just concerned that he may stop the payments as soon as she reaches 16. Will he be notified about her staying on at school by the CSA? Does the CSA send out forms to check if she plans to stay on at school?
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The CSA can't inform him of his daughter's circumstances, however, they will make contact with the PWC (or you can contact them directly) to ensure that your daughter is continuing with full-time non-advanced education (A levels or equivalent) and ensure that the case continues. If he ceases payments they will contact him to advise that he still has a liability, or if he pays by DEO then they will continue. He may ask at the time why he is still paying after she has reached 16 and then you can tell him if you like, but the CSA can't confirm due to DPA, but they can say that the circumstances require that he still makes payments.
  • As she is staying on in the 6th form, child maintenance is still payable for your daughter as it is classed as non advanced education. The CSA should contact you anyway if your case were to be cancelled ( ie child benefit ceases, child reaches 19), your ex can also ask the agency to check whether your daughter is still a qualifying child ~ as she is in the sixth form she would fit the criteria :A
    This is a do-it-yourself test for paranoia: you know you've got it when you can't think of anything that's your fault.
    Robert M. Hutchins
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just to reasure you I have a 16 yo daughter who started 6th form this year. My ex also pays by deduction of earning which his employer then sends to CSA. This will continue as long as I am recieving family allowance for my daughter. You will be the same as other posters have said and the deduction of earning from your ex hubbys salary can only be authorised to stop by CSA, your ex or his employer cannot stop this without CSA authorising it.

Just to make you smile, my ex owed me approx £1000 due to him being off work ill 2 years ago and not informing CSA so this went down as arrears and also his employer collected money weekly but then sent money monthly and were only paying 4 weeks money not a monthly payment that was slightly more. In June when my daughter was 16 and due to leave school my ex paid ALL the arrears in one extra payment to bring account up to date. He then contacted CSA asking when the payments from his salary would stop. We have had no contact with him for 9 years as he has not wanted to see our children as he had to much going on in his life!!! What he did not know was my daughter was going back to 6th form ( other 2 kids left at end of 5th year ) and he cleared arrears for nothing as he has to pay for another 2 years until the Sept 2008 when is when her family allowance will stop unless she leaves school before that. :beer:
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • kelloggs36 wrote:
    The CSA can't inform him of his daughter's circumstances, however, they will make contact with the PWC (or you can contact them directly) to ensure that your daughter is continuing with full-time non-advanced education (A levels or equivalent) and ensure that the case continues. If he ceases payments they will contact him to advise that he still has a liability, or if he pays by DEO then they will continue. He may ask at the time why he is still paying after she has reached 16 and then you can tell him if you like, but the CSA can't confirm due to DPA, but they can say that the circumstances require that he still makes payments.

Can someone please clarify what PWC and DEO means. Thanks.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    Can someone please clarify what PWC and DEO means. Thanks.

PWC Parent with care
    DEO Deductions from earnings order
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry! I assumed that everybody was au fait with the CSA terminology! Yes, Noozan is right!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure