PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

low sale price

a property by me has sold for 60k when all the others are priced at 120k+

the place looks fine from outside but even with the prospect of having to do major work inside is it possible to sale a house so low.

im just being nosey ;)

Comments

• noyk
    noyk Posts: 253 Forumite
    Could be a "key worker" scheme house maybe?
  • dips_3
    dips_3 Posts: 90 Forumite
    MajorR wrote:
    a property by me has sold for 60k when all the others are priced at 120k+

the place looks fine from outside but even with the prospect of having to do major work inside is it possible to sale a house so low.

im just being nosey ;)

asking price is not the same as selling price. The others asking prices could be unreasonable. I saw a house recently advertised for £180K that eventually sold for £135K!!

There are some wbsites where you can check the sold price for houses - houseprices.co.uk is one you could try.
  • MajorR
    MajorR Posts: 158 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dips wrote:
    There are some wbsites where you can check the sold price for houses - houseprices.co.uk is one you could try.

One such website is where i got the info from, it gives me all the sales in a certain area. as im looking to buy it helps to get an idea of current prices and this place sold for 50% less than all the others in the road. This property is only just down the road from me and i know for sure there wasnt a for sale board outside. so how did some lucky so and so get it for half the market value?
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    if it was in appalling condition it is very feasible to go for half the normal asking price.
  • lin473
    lin473 Posts: 553 Forumite
    I wonder if it could have been a private sale to friend or family making it expedient for a number of reasons to set the sale price as low as possible.
  • Perhaps a repossession??
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    I would say Shared Ownership or Key Worker - especially with it being 50% of the price of the others.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    repos mean that the lender is duty bound to get the most possible for the property, in order to reduce the debt to the mortagee. They will often accept an offer then put a notice in the paper asking if anyone else wants to pay more.
  • dips_3
    dips_3 Posts: 90 Forumite
    The owner was in financial trouble and the EA (smelling a good deal) let his 'mate' know that someone was desperate.
  • Angela_D_3
    Angela_D_3 Posts: 1,071 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Looks like the crash has started sooner than we thought :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure