PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

£24 000 stamp duty!!!! I feel ill.

Comments

• Oddgy
    Oddgy Posts: 224 Forumite
    600k not wealthy???? Come on....??!!!
    We thought we had an expensive one at 155k, and thats costing us an arm and leg.
    Then again - if you have never had it, you never know the difference!! Wonder if Cash Daddy fancys a swap of somesort.....!!
  • Oddgy wrote:
    600k not wealthy???? Come on....??!!!
    We thought we had an expensive one at 155k, and thats costing us an arm and leg.
    Then again - if you have never had it, you never know the difference!! Wonder if Cash Daddy fancys a swap of somesort.....!!

It does not matter how much stamp duty is, because its all factored into the house prices as per the current housing bubble, for instance if they scrapped stamp duty, all it would mean is that house prices would rise by that amount to soak up the stamp duty %.

It is a good idea though, as some of the housing wealth is skimmed off to go to other good causes such as the iraq war and benefits scroungers :D

Maybe if house prices fell by 50%, you would be comfortable with paying say £8k in stamp duty instead ? :confused:
  • What I was trying to say, was that we are all moving up into higher bands as the house prices rise. Many people on this thread are trying to find ways of not paying 3% as they are now buying £250k houses. I have just moved up the ladder into the next bracket and think that soon, many more people will be moving up into 3% and 4%.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    cashdaddy wrote:
    No, £600 k

Somebody who can buy a £600K house is not an ordinary person. You have now achieved rich b'stard status, and should cough up.
  • F_T_Buyer
    F_T_Buyer Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Well if house prices wern't so ridiculously high....

I'm sure someone will rush and tell me i'm wrong, and that high house prices are a good thing. Good for the chancellor, yeah.
  • Oddgy
    Oddgy Posts: 224 Forumite
    CASH DADDY, dont get defensive. In all, well done to you. My intentions is to go up the ladder to, and i would love to be able to be in a position to be able to pay 3 or 4% stamp duty.

However i would not like to, but the thought of being financially able to pay for a house like that, would be so rewarding.

Im mid 20s at the mo - so lets hope eh. I will keep plodding on in me job.

Have i confused you all?? Sorry!!
  • whambamboo
    whambamboo Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    Oddgy wrote:
    CASH DADDY, dont get defensive. In all, well done to you. My intentions is to go up the ladder to, and i would love to be able to be in a position to be able to pay 3 or 4% stamp duty.

However i would not like to, but the thought of being financially able to pay for a house like that, would be so rewarding.

Sadly, it doesn't buy you that much, at least not in London.

You'd think, £600k, that is a lot of money for a person to have - nearly a million, and you really should be getting a massive house with at least an acre....

Sadly not:

£700k for a poxy flat in Hampstead
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-8339653.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

£600k for a flat in sodding Brixton
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-7768744.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

The world's gone mad.
    My policies are based not on some economics theory, but on things I and millions like me were brought up with: an honest day's work for an honest day's pay; live within your means; put by a nest egg for a rainy day; pay your bills on time; support the police - Margaret Thatcher.
  • I too am in the position of having to pay 21k stamp duty. I'm one of those "rich !!!!!!! teachers". My mother and I are each selling our properties (she was an admin person, my late father was a lowly BT employee) and buying a new house together. Its 4 bedrooms plus a 1 bedroomed annexe. Between us we are actually losing a bedroom as we are each selling a 3 bedroomed house. We are putting the equity from our properites (100% in Mums case) into the purchase, some savings and taking out a new mortgage for just over 100k.

The money we are using to buy this house has been taxed, taxed and taxed again - by the time we buy the house most of the £'s we pay will have been taxed 3 times.

Seemingly according to some on this thread that's OK as we are rich !!!!!!!s.
    The best things in life are NOT free - but they sure are cheaper with MSE!:j
  • F_T_Buyer wrote:
    Well if house prices wern't so ridiculously high....

I'm sure someone will rush and tell me i'm wrong, and that high house prices are a good thing. Good for the chancellor, yeah.

High house prices are good! They fill that big gap in your life by giving you something to write seemingly endless posts on here about! For me and others to answer. "House Prices are reasonable and fair" doesn't make a good thread.

Also, i feel this whole thread is an excuse for the OP to let us all work out their house price and be in awe of how rich and wonderful they must be

:beer:
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery
  • whambamboo wrote:
    Sadly, it doesn't buy you that much, at least not in London.

You'd think, £600k, that is a lot of money for a person to have - nearly a million, and you really should be getting a massive house with at least an acre....

Sadly not:

£700k for a poxy flat in Hampstead
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-8339653.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

£600k for a flat in sodding Brixton
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-7768744.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

The world's gone mad.

Parking space for £125k in mayfair anyone? Found it on rightmove last week
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure