Large Plus Size Clothing

Options

Comments

• Rainbow_Fury
    Options
    I shop online at Cotton Traders. They also have a number of shops/outlets listed on their website. I do most of my online shopping either there or at Land's End, which has been mentioned before. Both companies have good prices in the sale, and good customer service.

Another site I like is Gudrun Sjoden, though they don't use standard sizings. I've gone through a fair amount of trial and error to work out that I'm an XXL (ideally generous or extra-generous fit). I'm a UK size 26. They don't do all of their range in XXL, and their prices are expensive, but the quality is very good, and I like their designs and their attitude. I have always found their customer service to be excellent. Again, I usually only buy from them in the sale.

I have also shopped at Tesco and got some excellent sale bargains.

I don't shop at Simply Be or any of their clone companies any more because I don't like their customer service, even though they keep begging me to come back with 50% off vouchers and the like. I have also found their quality and sizing to be very uneven.

Another company whose catalogues I've been sent, but I've not bought anything from them yet, is Spirito de Artigiano.

Those are all I can think of for now. Many thanks for starting this thread.
  • sherry_d
    sherry_d Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Whats considered plus size...I yo yo between size 16 and 18 is that plus size or I am sitting on the fence of both groups...

New look do have some really cool plus size too but I must admit I try very much not to go into that section just to console myself a bit even though its very hard to find stuff that fits me in the mainstream all the time.#

Think it maybe time I hide and shop online on the plus size rather than try and squeze into cloths that dont always fit that well. LOL
  • GoodCake
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Really good idea for a thread!

Another company I have recently found (though again, a little hit and miss) is Marisota. Some stuff is awful, some really good. They stock a wide range of various plus size designers, including Gok Wan! Speedy delivery and good customer service, in my experience.

Also H&M have a BB range up to size 30, I believe. I love their trousers as they are the only ones that seem made for me (I'm 5'9")! Unlike Evans & Ann Harvey - I just can't win with them. H&M is quite "young & trendy" though so if you're a classier gal, you might want to avoid.

I know this is a money saving site, but sometimes, if possible, I like to spend a little more and buy a plus size equivilent of an 'investment piece', particularly if I have a special occasion I need to buy for.

In those instances, I like Spirito di Artigiano, though their clothes range can be limited. Another is Marina Rinaldi - but only if you are willing to part with some serious cash - an Italian designer range that you will need to google to find a seller (Londoners, and those willing to travel - Selfridges stock this, and they have their own shop on Bond Street). Windsmoor have improved their range and it's far less fuddy-duddy than it used to be (I'm 35 and a size 28, by the way). Really good quality and not overly expensive for what you get...they also have good sales, and a good website.

Elena Miro is another Italian company who go up to size 24, Gerry Weber also goes to size 24. Both have shops or stockists in London, though they must be elsewhere too. Sorry if I'm being too London-centric!

Finally, though I hesitate to mention this, Harrods have the best plus size department I have found in the country - if not Europe - and trust me, I have done the research. It's not cheap but they stock all the plus size designers (some mentioned above) and if you can get them at sale time there are bargains to be had. I'm giving away my secret here but if you really are fed up with the cheaper brands and want high fashion quality in plus sizes, Harrods in the place to go. The sales girls are great too, and not in the slightest bit snobby!

I hope this helps in some way; buy wisely!

GoodCake

Ps; sorry for no links - I'm a new user and they won't let me :-(
  • Maevejuniper
    Options
    zaksmum wrote: »
    What about larger men? My O/H is much bigger than average, with size 12 feet, 48 waist and 58 chest. He's also very long in the body so shirts etc. are nearly always too short for him.

Yup, my other half is a larger size too although at least it's not too bad for shoes.

The obvious ones we have found are High and Mighty, although then tend to be pricey, and a few XXXL items in the ranges at Tesco and Asda, although in some cases the sleeves seem to be too short. They also only seem to consider XXXL for tops and not trousers/jeans.

We have found shirts at Debenhams in collar sizes up to 20.5 which were useful for weddings this year and were available at our smaller local store.

When we have needed jeans for him we have had to go online. We've bought a few items from dealers on Ebay and one or two nice bits from a site called Oxford House Menswear. I believe they have a physical shop in Bridgend but it is out of our area so we have only ordered online.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Further to the big clothes for men di give a list of the following.
    Sizedwell clothing
    Big Ozzy
    Cotton Traders
    Bigfish Clothing
    Hunts of Bournemouth

Some of these go up to 8xl and all of them have a clearance section where you can find good bargains.

Three cheers for the beers and all hail to the sale.:beer:
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2009 at 9:42AM
    Options
    GoodCake wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

Really good idea for a thread!

Another company I have recently found (though again, a little hit and miss) is Marisota. Some stuff is awful, some really good. They stock a wide range of various plus size designers, including Gok Wan! Speedy delivery and good customer service, in my experience.

Also H&M have a BB range up to size 30, I believe. I love their trousers as they are the only ones that seem made for me (I'm 5'9")! Unlike Evans & Ann Harvey - I just can't win with them. H&M is quite "young & trendy" though so if you're a classier gal, you might want to avoid.

I know this is a money saving site, but sometimes, if possible, I like to spend a little more and buy a plus size equivilent of an 'investment piece', particularly if I have a special occasion I need to buy for.

In those instances, I like Spirito di Artigiano, though their clothes range can be limited. Another is Marina Rinaldi - but only if you are willing to part with some serious cash - an Italian designer range that you will need to google to find a seller (Londoners, and those willing to travel - Selfridges stock this, and they have their own shop on Bond Street). Windsmoor have improved their range and it's far less fuddy-duddy than it used to be (I'm 35 and a size 28, by the way). Really good quality and not overly expensive for what you get...they also have good sales, and a good website.

Elena Miro is another Italian company who go up to size 24, Gerry Weber also goes to size 24. Both have shops or stockists in London, though they must be elsewhere too. Sorry if I'm being too London-centric!

Finally, though I hesitate to mention this, Harrods have the best plus size department I have found in the country - if not Europe - and trust me, I have done the research. It's not cheap but they stock all the plus size designers (some mentioned above) and if you can get them at sale time there are bargains to be had. I'm giving away my secret here but if you really are fed up with the cheaper brands and want high fashion quality in plus sizes, Harrods in the place to go. The sales girls are great too, and not in the slightest bit snobby!

I hope this helps in some way; buy wisely!

GoodCake

Ps; sorry for no links - I'm a new user and they won't let me :-(

Thank you for this!
    I tried Harrods 3 years ago, but as usual the nicest things were up to size 24ish, very little in my size (I was looking for something to wear at my sister's wedding).
    That put me off going to Selfridges too. I will try again, in case it's changed.

Marina Rinaldi, again when I tried (a dedicated shop) they did not have my size, and I think for me to go into a 'plus size' shop/departments and not find my size is totally ridiculous!
    In the same way as it saddens me that a size 16/18 is considered a plus size, it's disgusting that teenagers grow up thinking they are too fat if they are size 16 or 18.

A friend of mine is size 16 and had to get a plus size XXL from Benetton!

I will add more links to the list.

PS
    H&S don't sell online in this country
    Marisota is part of the same group as Simply Be, sell the same clothes
    Windsmoor: checked it out, it states they only sell up to 24
  • berniesmaster
    Options
    my hubby buys jeans in tescos (33leg 44w) and they do i think up to 3xl in shirts and tops. and its tesco price!!
    3 wonderfull kids :female::female::male:, 1 fab hubby :heart: , 2 beautifull cats and 1 very large dog = my family!
    :grouphug:
  • Corrin999
    Options
    There is a new ethical fashion label that has done two styles up to sizes XL - quite rare with small labels - equivalent to a size 16 I guess.

Just click on the shop section of their website which is

outsiderfashion.com
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    Corin
    I don't mean to offend you, but I refuse to accept that size 16 is a plus size!
    I know designers label would consider it that way.
    I expect that someone fairly young would have a hard time finding fashionably clothes (as someone has stated here), but I think it's really sad.
  • cotsvale
    cotsvale Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Elvi has recently been taken over, some of the shops closed but others will remain.
    Also am I right in thinking that Monsoon go up to a size 22?
    I wish high street shops would display the sizes they sell on a sticker in the window - I hate going in only to find that they stop at a 16/18, So thank you for this thread it will help me lots.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure