Stop Junk Mail Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• forevermum
    Options
    Any junk or non-addressed mail that the postman leaves i put back in the post box and also i do the same with credit card mail etc i return their envelope with their junk mail enclosed and send back to them, hence they then have to pay the postage and they never know who sent it as u must not forget to not enclose your details.
  • xamberangel
    xamberangel Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    This is a question for anyone who knows how to stop this.
    Recently I received dozens of e mails from postmaster@mail with returned e mails which I hadn't sent, and replies from contacts saying they would get back to me, again I hadn't contacted them.
    Someone said it's something to do with "autoresponder", but I would love to know how to prevent this happening again. All replies welcome, xamberangel
  • vicious_vic
    vicious_vic Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    I work for a church (Church of England) and sometimes we drop invitations to events like Easter services, Christmas services, and the Alpha course, through the mail slots of those who live within our parish.

I always avoid any door that has a notice posted that says no cold calling or no junk mail.

I know it's frustrating to have lots of unwanted/unsolicited mail (I receive it too). However, just wanted to point out that some items don't come in the post, but by regular people who are dropping information door to door. I know I get a lot of take-away menus and such from nearby restaurants, and they don't come in the post.
  • kevanf1
    kevanf1 Posts: 299 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2011 at 1:03PM
    Options
    Hmm, I have to take task with the effectiveness of no cold calling signs. I have one in the window right next to the front door (no glass in the door itself). The sign is clear and very visible. I actually get them from my local council and they are printed out by Staffordshire Police so they are official. but they don't work in stopping either the annoying double glazing salesmen (who seem very fluent in swear words just lately) or against the energy company salesmen. We had somebody from NPower only the other week and British Gas just before them!

Ok, I can call the relevant companies but that's more hassle for me and it costs in phone calls when i shouldn't have to.

I don't know what the answer is?
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Answer the door, point to the sign, wonder aloud how they got employment being unable to read, and shut the door!
  • kevanf1
    Options
    He, he :) that's 'sort of' what I normally do. I do start politely to give them the chance to say "oops, sorry" or such like. Sadly they usually just start their spiel and then I do get angry, though I am always careful not to swear even though I feel like it...
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
  • bert&ernie
    bert&ernie Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if this has been noted elsewhere, but Royal Mail's Un-addressed Mail Opt-Out expires after 2 years.

To renew, you need to request another form:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400126&mediaId=500081
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
  • kevanf1
    Options
    bert&ernie wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been noted elsewhere, but Royal Mail's Un-addressed Mail Opt-Out expires after 2 years.

To renew, you need to request another form:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400126&mediaId=500081

I didn't know about this. Good of them tell us...NOT!

'bert&ernie' many thanks for telling me/us about this. I'll download that form now.

Take care.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kevanf1 wrote: »
    I didn't know about this. Good of them tell us...NOT!

'bert&ernie' many thanks for telling me/us about this. I'll download that form now.

Take care.

they didnt tell you as this wasnt the case in 2008
  • bert&ernie
    bert&ernie Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    they didnt tell you as this wasnt the case in 2008

They still aren't telling you. The link I posted above doesn't state that the opt-out is time limited.

I get a lot of hand delivered junk so I wouldn't necessarily have noticed that the postman had started delivering unaddressed mail again. I usually have to pick the addressed mail out of a pile of junk and flyers on the doormat.

I only picked up on this because i was at home today when the postman came and he delivered only unaddressed items.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure