IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Excel Parking PCN

Options
A mate just emailed me. She had parked in a shops car park and purchased a parking ticket from the machine. She put it in the window of her car and shut the door.

Unbeknown to her the wind caused by the closing door flipped the ticket over and as a subsequence she got a notification taped to her windscreen.

She has now received the full letter stating it is a PCN and a NTK.

As the parking ticket she purchased was not clearly visible (although it was valid and she still has it) is there any grounds she can appeal it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Of coruse. Have you read newbies thread, post 1?
  • Simon.G
    Simon.G Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, so I am thinking the following:

My mate has received the PCN via post - so can I assume that she has to now appeal online using the template.

She has checked the PCN online (only once) and they have photos showing the turned over ticket. So I suppose that they will badger her until they take her to court, seeing as they have photographic evidence clearly showing her non-compliance?

Just trying to get an idea of what she is in store for so I can let her know.

Again, you help is appreciated.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Simon.G wrote: »
    A mate just emailed me. She had parked in a shops car park and purchased a parking ticket from the machine. She put it in the window of her car and shut the door.

Unbeknown to her the wind caused by the closing door flipped the ticket over and as a subsequence she got a notification taped to her windscreen.

She has now received the full letter stating it is a PCN and a NTK.

As the parking ticket she purchased was not clearly visible (although it was valid and she still has it) is there any grounds she can appeal it?

Thanks in advance.

If this was me, I would copy the paid for ticket and
    request a refund or full cancellation.
    Excel will probably ignore as is the scammers way.

Fluttering tickets do not bide well with a judge especially
    as the ticket confirms payment

As you can prove you paid to park, EXCEL would be
    seen as unreasonable for taking further action
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Send a copy of the ticket to show it was paid for
    I presume the back has a serial number so they could have confirmed the time was paid for, if theyd just checked the logs of the machine? They chose not to, so any costs they have incurred are of their own making.

Whiole it is a breach of the conditions, it is not a "mateiral" breach, but one that would be de minimis
  • Simon.G
    Options
    Getting her to check the back of the ticket, but from the image she showed me previously, I don't remember any identifying marks on the back of it.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2018 at 1:53PM
    Options
    They would be unwise to take her to court, some judges regard these fluttering ticket claims as scams, and come down heavily on the PPC, they regard it as a trifle, and the Law does not concern itself with trifles,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_minimis

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Simon.G
    Options
    Ok, so I have just seen the ticket she purchased when she parked in the car park.

It does indeed have a serial number of sorts on the back which corresponds with the same number on the front and would denote that this is an identification number which could have been checked against to prove valid parking.

What is the way forward with this? Email to Excel advising that there was a valid parking permit (including a copy of the paid for permit) and telling them to cancel the request for money, OR should she continue with the template to appeal?

Again your help is appreciated.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Tell her to keep blutack in her glove box, I do, just to stick any parking tickets down firmly.
    What is the way forward with this? Email to Excel advising that there was a valid parking permit (including a copy of the paid for permit) and telling them to cancel the request for money,
    Probably best to do the above as it discloses the fact the driver paid & displayed. They will NOT cancel but they might offer to settle for £15, especially if she complains to the landowner loudly at the same time about feeling hounded by this nasty ex-clamper firm, harassment, etc.

DO NOT TALK ABOUT WHO PARKED, WHO WAS DRIVING!

DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE DOOR SHUTTING & THE WIND CAUSING A FLUTTERING TICKET!

And check if the PCN even allows an appeal to be made by email (don't assume).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Simon.G
    Options
    Should she appeal as well as send the email to them?

I only ask as she has just told me she only has 3 days left to put in an appeal.

Again, thanks in advance
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    at the same time

Thought that I made it clear?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure