PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bathroom issues

Hello forum...

We have seen a house that we really like but there are few issues with the bathroom!

For a start it has no bath! Not as issue for us as we would look to put a brand new suite in that includes a bath more to our taste however that depends on some other factors I need advice on!

As the bathroom is above the stairs there is a rather large ugly bulkhead (I think that’s what they are called) by the door as you come in. The current owners have tiled over it and tried to incorporate it into the bathroom but it’s such an eyesore and right as you enter as well. I would look to try and build a cupboard on top if it can’t be got rid of altogether (I have read this isn’t possible due to needing sufficient head room over the stairs).

The next issue is the boiler is located in the bathroom next to this bulkhead, which means both take up quite a large area!

Does anyone know how easy/costly it is to relocate a combi boiler? We would rather have it in the kitchen.

And finally is the lack of bath a factor to negotiate on price? The house also needs new windows as well.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 April 2018 at 3:50PM
    It sounds like description of the situation of our smallest bedroom, so perhaps was fitted to replace a downstairs bathroom and never had a bath fitted, perhaps, because of space.
  • IvyFlood
    IvyFlood Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    teddysmum wrote: »
    It sounds like description of the situation of our smallest bedroom, so perhaps was fitted to replace a downstairs bathroom ,so never had a bath fitted, perhaps, because of space.

There used to be a bath in the bathroom with a shower over it but the current owners took it out and now have one huge walk in shower (as well as toilet and sink). I think they removed it because it made the bathroom very small. The bathroom was never downstairs...
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Moving the boiler will cost a bit, perhaps upto £600 (more in London/SE) if you can find a GasSafe engineer who is prepared to move it. A new flue will need to be run to the new position, and the pipework rerouted; this will probalby need some floorboards to be lifted, so consider the impact on floorcoverings.

If the boiler is old, say over 10 years you might find that most engineers will be reluctant to move it, as they are then taking responsibility for any breakdown that occurs when they move it. If the boiler is older than 15 years, it is near the end of its working life, and this is definitely a reason to negotiate a lower price as the replacement will cost about £2000, or a bit more if the job includes relocating it.

While moving the boiler is quite a big job, you'll be living in the house a long time, so it makes sense to get things into the best place possible.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    Personally, I doubt you can renegotiate on price on these issues as the house was valued as is - it's your choice to move the boiler and pop in a new bathroom. But . . . you can always try.
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • Badger50
    Badger50 Posts: 123 Forumite
    You can't remove the bulkhead. If you are building a cupboard over it anyway, why not just put the boiler inside the cupboard?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you don't like these features, to the extent that you would not be able tto live wth them, then either make changes once you own, or find another property.

I'm not sure what other advice you expect to get here. Our opinions as to whether these features are show-stoppers or not are irrelevant - we are not going to live there!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    About 50 years ago we moved into a house with a bathroom with a bulkhead chunk taking up too much space. Dad chopped it from the ceiling down to about hip height and dropped a sink in there... saved wasted space no end!
  • IvyFlood
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    Moving the boiler will cost a bit, perhaps upto £600 (more in London/SE) if you can find a GasSafe engineer who is prepared to move it. A new flue will need to be run to the new position, and the pipework rerouted; this will probalby need some floorboards to be lifted, so consider the impact on floorcoverings.

If the boiler is old, say over 10 years you might find that most engineers will be reluctant to move it, as they are then taking responsibility for any breakdown that occurs when they move it. If the boiler is older than 15 years, it is near the end of its working life, and this is definitely a reason to negotiate a lower price as the replacement will cost about £2000, or a bit more if the job includes relocating it.

While moving the boiler is quite a big job, you'll be living in the house a long time, so it makes sense to get things into the best place possible.

£600 is a lot less than I was expecting! I was thinking ££££'s! But obviously yes if the boiler does need replacing then that would drive the cost up. I forget how old they said it was so would have to find that out again. If its older than 10 years it makes sense to get a new one as part of relocating it.

The floorcoverings wouldn't concern me as we would be changing these anyway over time.
    Badger50 wrote: »
    You can't remove the bulkhead. If you are building a cupboard over it anyway, why not just put the boiler inside the cupboard?

The boiler is already in a cupboard but its built into the corner next to the bulkhead and really eats into the space.
    About 50 years ago we moved into a house with a bathroom with a bulkhead chunk taking up too much space. Dad chopped it from the ceiling down to about hip height and dropped a sink in there... saved wasted space no end!

That is a good idea incorporating a sink into it and could may be a possibility
  • IvyFlood
    G_M wrote: »
    If you don't like these features, to the extent that you would not be able tto live wth them, then either make changes once you own, or find another property.

I'm not sure what other advice you expect to get here. Our opinions as to whether these features are show-stoppers or not are irrelevant - we are not going to live there!

We are FTB and have saved for 8 years to get our deposit. The house is in the perfect location but as this will be a family home for us, a bath is quite essential for kids...We could live with it short term but I'm am trying to get an idea of what's possible for the long term.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure