Pay off Mortgage or Keep Savings - Moral Dilemma

2»

Comments

• maths_max
    maths_max Posts: 12
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    OK I give up, why is this a "moral dilemma" ?

You also might want to consider other options than just these two and just one of the two.
    You could do a part of both, or more into pension as a third option, which many seem to forget, focusing on clearing a mortgage at all costs and tuning down free employers and government money.

Presumably because the mortgage is visible and monthly and a pension is a scary thing thats years away. But i can confirm, eventually it creeps and taps you on the shoulder.

Sorry, correct, may not be moral... should have said "nice dilemma", either way, thanks for the comments.
  • maths_max
    maths_max Posts: 12
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thought about that but already pay a substantial sum in to my pension. That's why I looked at savings or pay of mortgage... Thanks for the comment. :T
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Why is being mortgage-free any more liberating than having all that money in the bank and at your disposal?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    IF rates go up chances are savings rate will as well.

Savings rates are currently edging down.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    That's a mortgage rates won't go up indicator
  • I am by no means a mortgage expert, but surely the best mortgage for yourself would be an offset mortgage and you can offset as much of the savings as you wish against the mortgage?
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I am by no means a mortgage expert, but surely the best mortgage for yourself would be an offset mortgage and you can offset as much of the savings as you wish against the mortgage?

There is only 16 other posts in this thread it's not difficult to read them! ;)
    Not if you can find savings at a higher rate than the mortgage an with base + 0.95% that will easy.

Then you are worse of by offsetting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport