old childcare voucher scheme idea. would it work?

Options
Hi All

I just been reading the blog about the childcare voucher change. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2018/02/want-childcare-vouchers-apply-now-to-make-sure-you-beat-the-april-deadline.

My workplace offer this scheme and I have determined that the older scheme due to be scrapped would work better in our favour.

Our dilemma is that our son is only 2 months old and we dont expect to put him in nursery till he's at least 1.

My question is could I ask my workplace and be registered on the scheme before the deadline but still take advantage of this when we actually put him into nursery which won't be till February 2019?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• In a nut shell yes. I am in the same situation. Daughter was born in October 2017 but I am not returning to work until January 2019. I have registered with my employers scheme which is computershare. I think you need to have had a deduction made before the closing date, not just register. So it!!!8217;s important to register ASAP and request a deduction.
    My employer has accepted it however my husband employer says they closed new entries to their scheme a couple of days ago, yet he will have a pay check after me before the scheme closes so I!!!8217;m not sure what happens now?
  • Not sure why my post has some strange characters in! Also I called the voucher scheme and she said the deductions don!!!8217;t ever expire until the child!!!8217;s 15th birthday so you can keep the money sitting there till it!!!8217;s needed.
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You NEED to take a voucher for March then you can stop for up to 12 months. (MAT/PAT this is good for this as long as baby has been born if first born).

If you are taking a year off work, you final 3 months are usually unpaid, think about using your Kit days, or ask if your employer will honour 3 months at £20 a month, even if you have to give them the £60 first. BUT if you can take a voucher now for March then you could stop until you return to work as long as it is within 12 months.

You also don't need to have a carer in place to start vouchers, so if LO is not at nursery or childminders etc, that's ok. You can save your voucher up like a bank account.

Bear in mind the February orders are almost over and March orders will be starting soon, the sooner you register the better, don't leave it until the end of March to register, it will be too late by then.

Childcare Vouchers are not being scrapped. Just closed to new registrations after 5th April. BUT you need to take a voucher for March.

Also if you are a member of a childcare voucher company and are not taking vouchers, you still NEED to take a voucher for March, 6th April on wards, you will not be able to take anymore with an expired order.

Any vouchers you have in your account are yours, they are safe, you just need a live or advanced order for March and keep taking vouchers, you don't need to take the full amount when you don't need them, you can minimise them to about £20 per month when you have no payments to go out.

Some employers offer refunds, you still can take vouchers and have refunds. Just be aware you will have to pay tax and NI on the voucher value, which you would of done if you had the money as a wage instead.

The vouchers are valid until the September after your child's 15th birthday. Why, because it's not just nursery and childminders that take them, it's after school clubs, breakfast clubs, summer clubs, activity holiday companies, even non curricular things like music lessons.

And please please please note if you are a first time parent and baby is not due until April, you can NOT register in advanced. Lots of mums to be are calling now who just don't get it. Baby must be born (if first born).
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure