PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor keeps pushing price up

Comments

• glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    if I was a vendor and you have not had your property on the market and offered, I will tell you go away until you are proceedable

Somewhere in the chain SOMEONE has to make offers before they're preferable otherwise the chain could take years to complete after the first offer at the bottom.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Who said you will sell with purple bricks ?
  • markyyyyyy wrote: »
    Okay, i understand i am in a weak position and need to sell our house.

If i put our house on the market with purple bricks, and pay the £845 fee, i am obviously hoping that our house sells before the house we want sells.... but at the same time i am hoping they don't get an offer on theirs and are sold, meaning that we are in a position.whereby we need to take our house off the market (we only want to move to that housing estate).

if i did sell our house and had to let the buyer down, what would happen? Would they lose fees?

cheers

mark

If you are considering the possibility of pulling out in case the house you want sells before yours then you have to weigh up costs

Purplebricks - fixed price and no commission so overall cheaper
    Local EA - Lower cost to market but likely to be more expensive overall

At least by putting yours for market, you are coming across as a serious buyer and contributing to the chain.

What is the Vendor's situation, have they already bought somewhere or waiting for there's to be sold?

If you believe your house will sell quick and local EA will not add any value then go with PB.
    Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. - Alex Supertramp
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    Somewhere in the chain SOMEONE has to make offers before they're preferable otherwise the chain could take years to complete after the first offer at the bottom.

Problem is the OP is the bottom of the chain and has not even put house on the market yet, and making an offer is pretty pointless as they have not got an offer on theirs.

they may even get less money than they were expecting, perhaps affecting what they an offer. You don't run before you walk
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • If you are considering the possibility of pulling out in case the house you want sells before yours then you have to weigh up costs

Purplebricks - fixed price and no commission so overall cheaper
    Local EA - Lower cost to market but likely to be more expensive overall

At least by putting yours for market, you are coming across as a serious buyer and contributing to the chain.

What is the Vendor's situation, have they already bought somewhere or waiting for there's to be sold?

If you believe your house will sell quick and local EA will not add any value then go with PB.

when we did the viewing 10 days ago, they said they had not yet found a house. they are expecting a 2nd baby in aoril so i expect they want to move before then....
    Savings aim for 2012: £5000 = £416.60 per month

Current Savings excluding M&G Investments (18/11/11):
    Britannia: £5334

Total Aim for 31/12/12: £10,334
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think it is very unreasonable to expect a seller to take their house off the market, if you haven't even marketed your house yet. Especially as you are offering below the market price.

It could take months for you to sell your property. You may not be in a position to exchange anytime soon. You think you can find a buyer within 6 weeks but you have no guarantee of that.

If I was the seller there is no way I'd be taking my property off the market until you had found a buyer.

If you really want this property you need to start marketing your house immediately.

Have a search of purplebricks threads before using them. There are hidden fees and issues with that service, e.g. extra fees if you want to pick your own solicitor because purplebricks gets a kick-back from their panel, ultimately paid for through your legal cost.
  • markyyyyyy wrote: »
    when we did the viewing 10 days ago, they said they had not yet found a house. they are expecting a 2nd baby in aoril so i expect they want to move before then....

Ok so they will appreciate your position more. Do you know if they need to buy before moving out or if they are planning on renting temporarily.

If your house sells before they find another one then where will you go?

I think you should offer them £260K if they agree to take if off market as soon as you put yours on. That will be reasonable.

Things can obviously change and a cash buyer can really throw a spanner in works but that is the chance you take.

At most you will lose EA fees, at best you will have your dream house.
    Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. - Alex Supertramp
  • RADDERS
    RADDERS Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I know this may not seen to be money saving, but I would be tempted to put the house for sale using the agent that is selling the property that you are after.

This would also give the EA incentive to sell your house as it would be tying in two lost of commission. Maybe give them 6 weeks to sell.
  • Asl77c
    Asl77c Posts: 87 Forumite
    Same situation happened with us, house we wanted put an offer in and they said the price was good but we aren't taking it off until proceedable, didn't give any grace. Got ours on the market within 3 days and had constant dialogue with them and once ours sold they took it off. It is upto the Vendor not the EA to give you time to sell the house so 4 weeks is a pretty fair deal at the 260. If you want it that much agree the extra 3k and get yours sold. They aren't doing anything wrong nor upping the price. Thats the price they want from you in your position. If someone comes along having already sold their house and they want a quick sell they would likely accept less. It is on a situational basis how people and what people accept. If you want it get your skates on and get yours listed.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    markyyyyyy wrote: »
    when we did the viewing 10 days ago, they said they had not yet found a house. they are expecting a 2nd baby in April so i expect they want to move before then....

Then they have even less incentive to accept your offer ! They can wait with yours in their back pocket until they find somewhere. A better offer (proceedable and / or more money) may come up whilst they are looking. Why would they close off their options until they have somewhere to offer on ?

And sure, they might like to move before baby in April but if they haven't found a house yet, nor have a proceedable buyer, they can stash that hope next to their store of rocking horse poo.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure