MSE News:Waitrose unveils its new loyalty scheme

Waitrose will replace its 'pick your own' offer with a new scheme to send customers vouchers and offers through the post...
Read the full story:
'Waitrose unveils its new loyalty scheme'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
MSE
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Not a good start. If the vouchers are supposed to be tailored to you based on previous shops then they have a big problem with their system somewhere.

I got two product vouchers in the mail today - one for £2.50 off beef and one for £1 off soup. Neither of which items I have ever bought at Waitrose as I make my own soup and buy beef from our local butcher!
  • It was good while it lasted. Although for the past year, the offers from pick your own have been a bit hit or miss. Largely miss.
    I'm not a regular shopper at Waitrose so I doubt the new system will be of much use.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    redfox wrote: »
    Not a good start. If the vouchers are supposed to be tailored to you based on previous shops then they have a big problem with their system somewhere.

I got two product vouchers in the mail today - one for £2.50 off beef and one for £1 off soup. Neither of which items I have ever bought at Waitrose as I make my own soup and buy beef from our local butcher!

It'll be tailored as much towards what you don't buy as what you do buy. They know they can sell you stuff you've already bought, but vouchers might encourage you to buy things you don't normally buy there.
  • redfox wrote: »

They want you to buy things you don't usually buy from Waitrose!?

I did get targeted vouchers for £1 off organic milk and £2 off chilled drink (a beer from the chiller? ) and four x £4 off £40 spend which I've done once in 23 years so far and I'm not going to use. Prefer Tesco £3 off £20 spend when it comes up.
  • I only buy about 4 items (all PYO items) from Waitrose and the new vouchers I got are for 2 of them (well not brand specific, just one for Yogurt and one for bread), so it seems some people are getting vouchers for products they do buy and some aren't.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Doc_N wrote: »
    It'll be tailored as much towards what you don't buy as what you do buy. They know they can sell you stuff you've already bought, but vouchers might encourage you to buy things you don't normally buy there.
    They want you to buy things you don't usually buy from Waitrose!?
    That's how Sainsbury used to be until a few years back - which meant I threw away 2/3 because I had no need for e.g. baby food. Then it changed to being bonus points on items I had bought in the past or different brands of items I had bought - so they must have changed the algorithm. I still throw away one in three though, because the timing is off...

I have also had the £4 of £40 etc form Waitrose - and I've never used them. Sainsbury keep offering me triple Nectar points on £50 which we rarely reach in one shop. After a few months, they drop it to £40 and I might manage that, so the next voucher is £60 :wall:
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 February 2018 at 5:31PM
    Doc_N wrote: »

the email I received explaining the change says "After listening to our customers, we believe there is a better way of giving you savings on the products you buy most often."

It specifically says that the vouchers will be on the products you buy most often - but I never buy beef or soup. So I still think their system must be inadequate and I can't see these so called personalised vouchers being of any use to me at all.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 February 2018 at 5:35PM
    And there's a problem for Waitrose here. If the vouchers are less relevant, you bother to flash the card less. Waitrose get less customers data, the vouchers become even less relevant and a vicious circle develops ending in less customer data for Waitrose and people eventually forget about the whole scheme

Paper vouchers also increase checkout times

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Actually thinking about it, there's some canny reasoning behind the change - maybe - although doing it with vouchers is a regression. A generic voucher for 'toilet paper' allows us to deviate from our previous buying habits without losing the reward. Waitrose get enhanced sale data on toilet roll in general, not just the two or three option that PYO had. Question is, will the enhanced data make up for the inevitable reduction in the pool of data ?

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    And there's a problem for Waitrose here. If the vouchers are less relevant, you bother to flash the card less. Waitrose get less customers data, the vouchers become even less relevant and a vicious circle develops ending in less customer data for Waitrose and people eventually forget about the whole scheme

Paper vouchers also increase checkout times

I certainly won’t flash my card less as it gives you the magazine for free.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure