PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Silent deeds on boundary

I am in the process of buying a property and the deeds seems to be silent on ownership of boundary I.e 'T' is absent. How should I go about finding out who is responsible for maintenance of which fence?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ask your seller, or more correctly ask your solicitor to enquire.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Very few Title Plans show this.

* ask the neighbours
    *ask the pevious owner
    * see who owns the ccorresponding boundaries in neighboring proprties - sometimes in a road, each house owns the left (or right)-hand boundary
  • user18
    user18 Posts: 16 Forumite
    My solicitor has informed me that the seller has confirmed that the boundaries to the right when looking at the house have been regarded as the seller's responsibility. Is this sufficient?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Of course. Of all the houses we have owned, I cannot think of one that had that magic T on it.

The obligation is to mark the boundary, not to pay for or maintain fences unless it is actually specified. The fence belongs to whoever paid for it.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    user18 wrote: »
    My solicitor has informed me that the seller has confirmed that the boundaries to the right when looking at the house have been regarded as the seller's responsibility. Is this sufficient?

Sufficient for what?

As has already been explained, it's quite unusual for title documents to mention responsibility for the upkeep of boundaries. If it's a fence and the vendor says they have been painting it, then that might be a good indication of what's been agreed, but it's no more than that.

A fence belongs to whoever erected it.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Davesnave wrote: »

A fence belongs to whoever erected it.

Pedantic maybe, but a fence belongs to whoever paid for it.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Pedantic maybe, but a fence belongs to whoever paid for it.
    A fence belongs to whoever owns the ground it's been plonked in, surely?
  • davidmcn wrote: »

Fences are not always located on boundaries, sadly.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It all depends really on whether you see a problem with any of the boundaries.

If there were no T present I'd assume none of them were my boundary to maintain.... and I'd think about where I might wish to install my own/additional boundary at that point, touching the neighbours' boundaries.

If there's a boundary that makes you be a bit worried about it - location, size, condition, then you might have to dig a bit further and download the adjoining properties' boundaries to see - and/or go bang on a neighbour's door to ask them their take on it.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    davidmcn wrote: »
    So when I plonk my car in a private car park, the car park ownergains ownershipp of my car?

Ownership is not dependant on location.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport