Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!

footyguy
footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
Seems SSE have taken umbrage at Ebico getting into bed with Robin Hood Energy, and the long term partnsership is over:
SSE has now closed EquiGas/EquiPower to new sales and can no longer assure us that the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff will remain in market for a reasonable period of time. As a result, we have brought our partnership with SSE to a close.
read more here:
https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/new-cheaper-gas-and-electricity-tariffs-under-the-new-partnership-with-robin-hood-energy/

Comments

• uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I am totally confused.

I have the same email from Ebico today and they say I will make a saving of a few percent until December.

Call me a suspicious old *** but I decided to check. The rate Ebico are quoting looks very slightly more not less. I've contacted SSE to ask them when my fixed rates end.

Jeff
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 February 2017 at 6:54PM
    uk1 wrote: »
    I am totally confused.

I have the same email from Ebico today and they say I will make a saving of a few percent until December.

Call me a suspicious old *** but I decided to check. The rate Ebico are quoting looks very slightly more not less. I've contacted SSE to ask them when my fixed rates end.

Jeff

:huh:
    Ebico don't offer any fixed tariffs

The new Ebico Zero tariffs from RHE for those with credit meters all look cheaper to me than the Ebico/SSE Equipower & Equigas tariffs
  • uk1
    footyguy wrote: »
    :huh:
    Ebico don't offer any fixed tariffs

The new Ebico Zero tariffs from RHE for those with credit meters all look cheaper to me than the Ebico/SSE Equipower & Equigas tariffs

But the offer letter from them is a fixed rate:
    As a result of our new partnership, the EquiGas / EquiPower tariff will be coming to an end. However, we are delighted to announce that our new tariff - Ebico Zero - will still offer a zero standing charge and, better still, we have negotiated a discount of at least 4.5% to your current energy unit rates, with this price guaranteed until at least December 2017. Any surpluses we make will continue to help the Ebico Trust support community schemes tackling fuel poverty across Britain. Your new terms and conditions can be found at ebico.org.uk/terms and the new energy charges are confirmed below.

This is a fixed rate until December 2017 and is a comparison with my current rate so that is why I'm checking with SSE to see whether it is a fixed rate or not.

Jeff
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    But the offer letter from them is a fixed rate:

This is a fixed rate until December 2017 and is a comparison with my current rate so that is why I'm checking with SSE to see whether it is a fixed rate or not.

Jeff

It's not a fixed tariff, it's a variable tariff
    (But Ebico have guaranteed not to change it before December 2017 ... a bit like BG have guaranteed to to raise their variable rates before April 2017)

Equigas & Equipower are also variable tariffs
  • uk1
    It's not a fixed tariff, it's a variable tariff
    (But Ebico have guaranteed not to change it before December 2017 ... a bit like BG have guaranteed to to raise their variable rates before April 2017)

Equigas & Equipower are also variable tariffs

I have no idea why you think a variable tariff that is guaranteed not to change before December 2017 cannot be described as a fixed tariff.
  • I got this email yesterday and posted it in the other thread before footyguy took all the glory with starting this thread. :p

They claim I will be saving 4.5% on my gas when I move to RHE Ebico Zero from SSE Ebico EquiGas until at least December 2017.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 February 2017 at 7:29PM
    I have no idea why you think a variable tariff that is guaranteed not to change before December 2017 cannot be described as a fixed tariff.

I have no idea why you think a tariff that is clearly described as a variable tariff by the supplier would be called a fixed tariff simply because they have guaranteed not to vary the rates for a period of time.

Ofgem used to restrict suppliers to 4 defined tariffs (but they have changed their mind again recently)

A fixed traiff has a defined date when it ends - at which point the supplier is obliged to tell you your options, and if you take no option, the supplier must move you to their variable tariff.

The Ebico Zero tariff has no defined end date, and although the supplier has provided a guarantee prices will not change before December 2107, there is no guarantee they will change at that date.
  • uk1
    I have no idea why you think a tariff that is clearly described as a variable tariff by the supplier would be called a fixed tariff simply because they have guaranteed not to vary the rates for a period of time.

Ofgem used to restrict suppliers to 4 defined tariffs (but they have changed their mind again recently)

A fixed traiff has a defined date when it ends - at which point the supplier is obliged to tell you your options, and if you take no option, the supplier must move you to their variable tariff.

The Ebico Zero tariff has no defined end date, and although the supplier has provided a guarantee prices will not change before December 2107, there is no guarantee they will change at that date.

Because if I describe a tariff that is fixed until December, as a fixed tariff until December it just seems daft to go to the trouble of contradicting me. :)

Jeff
  • I already have my electric with Robin Hood (nothing to do with Ebico) and have recently been thinking of moving my gas over to them too as I'm not really sure If I'm saving by not paying a standing charge anyone. Yes it's great as in the summer months I have zero gas usage therefore zero bills but I'm probably making up for that in the winter months with higher unit charge. I don't use a lot of gas though.

I was thinking that when Ebico switch my gas to their Robin Hood tariff, will I still be able to fully switch to Robin Hood outright or will Ebico have a clause where Robin Hood aren't allowed to "steal" Ebico's customers?
  • Pretty expensive their zero tariff

TCR
    Electricity: 16.42p per kWh
    Gas: 4.91p per kWh
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business