wedding marquee? anyone

hi all was wondering if anyone has hired a marquee for their wedding and how much it costs? and what they have got with it ie: chairs tables linen dance floor etc etc...

i am going to get some quotes but not sure on what is cheap or expensive. we will be getting the catering in and doing the bar ourselves. as most venues you have to use there catering and the drinks are pricey.

what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Hi,
    I have done quite a bit of research into marquee hire for our wedding, we started out with 140 day guests plus 50 evening guests and for that we were recommended a 12m x 24m marquee and the cost of marquee/linings/carpet/lighting/tables/chairs/dance floor/delivery/liability waiver and VAT came in at £4250, which was the average. As a result of this big price, we have cut the size of our wedding down and are now having 80 people for the day plus 60 evening guests and are paying £1800 for all the same in a 9m x 12m marquee.
    There are cheaper and more expensive quotes out there, we went with the company who were most helpful in the end!
    Hope thats helps a bit!
  • klimny
    klimny Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Magicboo, what time of year is your wedding taking place? As I've heard that the prices can vary (by as much as £5k) depending on whether its during peak wedding season (April-October) or not (November-March).

Laurarobby, I'd be interested to see what people say about marquees too as I'm looking into that idea myself (only for around 50-70 evening guests, following church wedding - hopefully) :)
  • wench90
    wench90 Posts: 104 Forumite
    We have booked a marquee for our wedding. We've having 100 people seated, we have booked round tables, top table, buffet tables and chairs. Our venue is going to set up a small bar for us just so ppl dont have to walk to main building to get drinks.

The total comes in around £1600. We arent having fancy lining, no dance floor because we just want to eat and have speeches in there.

Can be very expensive but if you get the basic marquee and decorate yourself you can save money.
  • We were hoping to get a Marquee for our wedding next year, and I asked for quotes from all the companies that hired marquees in Scotland, and basically the quotes were about £4000. This was for linings, lighting, heating and generators. Tables, chairs and toilets were not included in the price, and toilets were approx £600 to £1000. Hope this helps.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Had a Marquee for our wedding ( no point in discussing prices, as we celebrate our 25th next year) never regretted it. Much better than a soulless hotel/hall.
  • Hi,
    Our wedding in on the 30th April next year so on the edge of the busy time. Also, in case it makes a difference, it's in Hampshire. The marquee company are based in Somerset though.
    One thing that made a big difference to the costs was the delivery charges. We are paying £45 delivery for our marquee to come from Somerset (about 50 miles) but one place quoted £240 to travel £18 miles :eek:.
    Hope that helps!
  • Magicboo
    Magicboo Posts: 803 Forumite
    Just an update on marquee prices...
    After being quoted £1800 for a 9 x 12m marquee for 90 people, lined/carpet/chairs/tables/lighting/delivery/damage waiver/VAT, we met up with the marquee people to show them my parents garden (where the reception will be) and have just had the final quote through for a 9 x 15m marquee (garden is bigger than we thought!) and nicer chairs and it is £1600!:j
    So it's worth meeting up with the people and getting to know them, I reckon ;)
    Very happy bunny here!
  • I want an indoor marquee to makeover a hall. Have seen this done before & it looks fab! Anyone had an indoor marquee before, or know of a company that does this?
  • Magicboo
    Magicboo Posts: 803 Forumite
    I wonder if a marquee company would be able to do it, you just hire the lining? Might be worth giving a few a call to find out?
  • laurarobby
    laurarobby Posts: 656 Forumite
    Magicboo wrote: »
    Just an update on marquee prices...
    After being quoted £1800 for a 9 x 12m marquee for 90 people, lined/carpet/chairs/tables/lighting/delivery/damage waiver/VAT, we met up with the marquee people to show them my parents garden (where the reception will be) and have just had the final quote through for a 9 x 15m marquee (garden is bigger than we thought!) and nicer chairs and it is £1600!:j
    So it's worth meeting up with the people and getting to know them, I reckon ;)
    Very happy bunny here!

thats brilliant the cheapest we have is £3500 what company have you gone with?

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport