Wits end.........................

13»

Comments

• Thanks for all your support. When we applied for contact we were told that the only way we could do this is through the courts separately from the CSA. Apparently paying for the child does not automatically qualify you for contact rights. We simply didn't have the money to pursue this and we were told that the child thought someone else was her Daddy and we were told to back off for her sake. As for any details of her or her mothers life, we know nothing. As it was a one night stand with someone he had just met that evening, he doesn't know where she's from, can't remember how old she is, he only remembers that she was a lot older than him at the time. We know she got married a few years ago because her name changed on the statements the CSA were sending us. But that's as far as it goes. I'd love to know some more, like is she doing well at school, is her health good, is she sporty etc. Even just to see what she looks like would be good. We don't know what sort of life she's living at all. It's sad really. I've broached the subject with my hubby a few times but he's closed off to it now. Any time I bring it up, he shrinks a little. He is a very caring and compassionate man and I know this must be hurting him. But what else can I do?
    Does he have the right to ask the CSA these basic questions? Like what area does she live in? Not an address, obviously they can't release that. Is she staying on at school? Does her Mum and Step-Dad work? etc
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Swampie wrote:
    Is she staying on at school?
    It seems to me that you MUST have the right to know that, because maintenance is not payable, as I understand it, once the child is no longer in full-time pre-University education.

However, I believe from other threads that the information won't necessarily be volunteered, so your DH needs to ASK for confirmation that he remains liable to pay maintenance.

My other thought is that even if you decide NOT to go for re-assessment (which seems like it might be a worthwhile thing to do ...) then the logical thing to assume would be that the arrears have been calculated in such a way that they are all paid off before the child is due to leave school, so payments SHOULD reduce anyway once the child reaches 16.

You'll notice I've used the word 'logical' - which I know is not a concept readily recognised by those who've had dealings with the CSA ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The CSA can't tell the NRP the circumstances of the child i.e can't confirm if the child is at school. However, what you can do is ask the CSA to check with the PWC and take the necessary action (close the case!!) if the PWC confirms child has left school.
  • Swampie wrote:
    increased living costs for him cause he's paying for flights, accomodation etc

Hiya Swampie, just a thought about the problem with paying for expenses upfront.
    Could you put these on a CC that gives you 0% for a year? That way when you claim back the expenses you can pay the balance off in full.

Goodluck
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family