Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Paully28
    • By Paully28 2nd Jan 19, 2:01 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Paully28
    0 WOW
    National Trust
    • 2nd Jan 19, 2:01 PM
    0 WOW
    National Trust 2nd Jan 19 at 2:01 PM
    Hi,

Anyone have a voucher for national trust yearly family membership. It is currently £120/year and thought I would ask first before I bought it

thanks in advance Paul
Page 2
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 19th Jun 19, 9:28 AM
    • 40,460 Posts
    • 24,464 Thanks
    Quentin
    I am all for Money Saving, but I am not sure if I will comfortable about using some of the options suggested, especially as these are not-for-profit organisation.....
    Originally posted by rajeshk4u
    Why be uncomfortable?

No-one forced these organisations to include reciprocity as a benefit of paying to be a member!
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 19th Jun 19, 10:56 AM
    • 3,872 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    MABLE
    I am all for Money Saving, but I am not sure if I will comfortable about using some of the options suggested, especially as these are not-for-profit organisation.....
    Originally posted by rajeshk4u
    I'm all for saving money and this is a legitimate of doing just that.
    • jonboy321
    • By jonboy321 26th Jun 19, 1:08 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    jonboy321
    I agree. I think the National Trust itself is good value £10.50 a month for a family membership seems very reasonable.

The fact is, that these places need to be paid for, if you aren't prepared to even pay a tenner to support a nice park, gardens or house that you are enjoying then that is beyond tight.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 26th Jun 19, 1:46 PM
    • 40,460 Posts
    • 24,464 Thanks
    Quentin
    I agree. I think the National Trust itself is good value £10.50 a month for a family membership seems very reasonable.

The fact is, that these places need to be paid for, if you aren't prepared to even pay a tenner to support a nice park, gardens or house that you are enjoying then that is beyond tight.
    Originally posted by jonboy321
    You forget this is a money saving website & forum!

Being "tight" doesn't come into it!!
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 26th Jun 19, 6:20 PM
    • 25,100 Posts
    • 13,352 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Originally posted by jonboy321
    No one is stopping you making a voluntary donation if you wish or forcing you to take advantage of any offer/loop holes.

These places shouldnít make offers if they donít want people to take advantage of them, so no sympathy for a professionally run organsation.

Personally I use my own judgment and sometimes donate where itís good value/not for profit or they are doing good work.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 14th Jul 19, 7:21 PM
    • 5,194 Posts
    • 1,986 Thanks
    knightstyle
    It really annoys me that those of us with few NT places near to visit pay the same as those who live down South and have lots.
    Plus the NZ membership we got definitely does not cover parking and we have to pay £5 even for a short stop for a pic-nic.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th Jul 19, 3:29 PM
    • 40,460 Posts
    • 24,464 Thanks
    Quentin
    Make the most of your current NZ membership - you won'tbe happy when you see the renewal price!!
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 18th Jul 19, 11:41 AM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    cubegame
    I can normally manage to blag free parking at manned sites with the Maltese card. You just need to ask at the entrance; most staff will happily give you a parking pass.
    • SALOPMAN
    • By SALOPMAN 23rd Jul 19, 12:11 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 2,443 Thanks
    SALOPMAN
    I get very cross when I see people not trying to support National Trust but as long as the loopholes are there people will and do take advantage, we always go with the Senior Rate with Scottish NT as at about 79 quid for 2 seniors a year we feel we are doing our bit but still getting a bargain. My biggest gripe with any NT is the exhorbitant prices of food and drink - lower your prices guys and profit levels and more will be sold and more will go into the overall coffers of any NT.
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 23rd Jul 19, 12:53 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    Undervalued
    I get very cross when I see people not trying to support National Trust but as long as the loopholes are there people will and do take advantage, we always go with the Senior Rate with Scottish NT as at about 79 quid for 2 seniors a year we feel we are doing our bit but still getting a bargain. My biggest gripe with any NT is the exhorbitant prices of food and drink - lower your prices guys and profit levels and more will be sold and more will go into the overall coffers of any NT.
    Originally posted by SALOPMAN
    So you "get very cross" but then do it yourself anyway? Or am I misunderstanding and you live in Scotland?

Interesting comment about the "exorbitant" food and drink prices. I tend to agree but I tend to feel that about many cafes etc. The largest NT property near me has a huge cafe / restaurant which is accessible without paying to go into the property. It always seems to be packed despite the prices!
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 23rd Jul 19, 1:29 PM
    • 6,330 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Being in the Scottish nt is a loophole if you dont live there?
    • rawhammered
    • By rawhammered 3rd Aug 19, 6:13 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    rawhammered
    Originally posted by SALOPMAN
    Picnics are a thing.
    more enjoyable and very much cheaper
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 3rd Aug 19, 10:34 AM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    Undervalued
    Picnics are a thing.
    more enjoyable and very much cheaper
    Originally posted by rawhammered
    Indeed, although most NT gardens will not allow picnics....
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 3rd Aug 19, 10:40 AM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 11,796 Thanks
    Money maker
    Indeed, although most NT gardens will not allow picnics....
    Originally posted by Undervalued
    Although down south, most NT places will have specific picnic areas in their current drive to get more families joining.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • Simon_Says
    • By Simon_Says 3rd Aug 19, 5:01 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Simon_Says
    Can buy the Maltese National Trust membership if you are a non resident. New Zealand heritage have hyped up there prices for non residents. Are there any other options where there is a recipricol arrangement for non residents.
    Last edited by Simon_Says; 03-08-2019 at 5:07 PM.
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 4th Aug 19, 8:40 AM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    cubegame
    Can buy the Maltese National Trust membership if you are a non resident. New Zealand heritage have hyped up there prices for non residents. Are there any other options where there is a recipricol arrangement for non residents.
    Originally posted by Simon_Says
    You've answered your own question. You can buy Maltese National Trust membership as a non-resident.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 6th Aug 19, 7:20 AM
    • 3,872 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    MABLE
    I have now decided not to go ahead with joining the Maltese National Trust and the only reason not because of loyalty to the English NT but purely down to the fact car parking is not free. We worked out the places we would visit on a regular basis and it would work out cheaper for us by doing the English NT. Also we had considered the Scottish NT but only a fraction cheaper.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 6th Aug 19, 7:55 AM
    • 6,330 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Some NT places are not free parking even for members, ie Wakehurst Place, and it aint cheap, last time it was £10 for 2hrs.
    • onashoestring
    • By onashoestring 6th Aug 19, 3:01 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    onashoestring
    Canadian National Trust
    Canadian National Trust Has a reciprocal agreement with English National Trust
    Single membership $40 + tax
    Family membership $70 + tax ( about £50 )

Doesnít include parking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

1,944Users online

Martin's Twitter