Cassette Tapes - Vinyl Records - Video Tapes

You see lots of posts on Ebay, Gumtree, Preloved for these items but do they really sell?
I have loads of these belonging to my late father and am wondering whether to just take the lot to the tip or try to sell them?
Posting to sell on line is just so time consuming - what are people's thoughts please?

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    You see lots of posts on Ebay, Gumtree, Preloved for these items but do they really sell?
    I have loads of these belonging to my late father and am wondering whether to just take the lot to the tip or try to sell them?
    Posting to sell on line is just so time consuming - what are people's thoughts please?

With Vinyl, there may be some worth money - but you would need to be "in the know" to know which ones - and they would need to be mint condition.

Cassette & videos - no . Your best bet would be to try and freecycle them first before tipping.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I think charity shops appreciate vinyl. I had a bit of interest for cassettes but non for videos on freecycle although its worth offering them.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Some VHS videos have some value - e.g. rare or early versions and collectible box sets. But not many.
  • l think the best is try to find someone that can help you sell it online or like you said you can sell on ebay

or etsy or amazon or search on social media for people who love old stuff
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 July 2019 at 9:23AM
    If you have a local used vinyl shop, ask them for an offer for the whole lot.

As was said, there may be some value in them if there's rare stuff and your father looked after it. What can you tell us in this regard? Did he leave them lying around at random, out of their sleeves, or did he religiously store them upright, in a neat storage cabinet?

What did he play them on? Did he have a high-end replay system, or one of those plastic mock-period abominations that you see in the catalogues that fall out of magazines?

If the VHS and cassette tapes are ones he recorded himself, these will have only scrap value, UNLESS he has recorded something exceedingly rare that is of interest to a collector. If they are commercial releases, again, they may have value if looked after.

What period are we talking about? 1950s? 1960s? later?
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I put my old vinyls (mostly from 70s) for sale on ebay with starting price of £50 hoping to get a good bit more. I may have made a mistake by saying collection only as I didn't want the hassle/risks of sending them.
    I got one bid of £50 and the buyer arranged for a courier to pick them up (I agreed to pack them carefully!).
    Not sold much on ebay so my strategy may have been flawed but I was a little disappointed to get so little while I think the buyer was happy.
  • Jimmithecat
    Jimmithecat Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I agree the vinyl can be worth money if it has been well looked after - you could type out a list and send it to dealers to see if they bite - or put the list on eBay specifying condition.
    Packaging and couriering the vinyl was surprisingly straightforward.
    Or alternatively take them to a charity shop who will be grateful for them
  • Thanks for your reply. My father kept his vinyl immaculate and I have stored in boxes in the loft. I do need to go through and see exactly what is there - his collection started in the 60's. It's all very time consuming!
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Look on Discogs - you can see a rough worth (what sold for etc.)

Ebay for completed / sold listings.

Look on Youtube for grading ideas.

Could be a little hobby and pocket money OR buy a turntable :rotfl: and play them. They are fun:eek::eek:

I see people in charity shops googling LP records titles (selling for £1 normally @ charity shops) for their worth I guess.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your reply. My father kept his vinyl immaculate and I have stored in boxes in the loft. I do need to go through and see exactly what is there - his collection started in the 60's. It's all very time consuming!

If your loft gets particularly hot when it's sunny, then I would suggest that's one of the worst places to keep it. Heat and vinyl do not mix well. Sorry, but ...

As the previous poster said; you could play them, unless they're all types of music that you don't like ...

Type up a list, maybe post list of artists here, maybe circulate to local record shops, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure