great piece in one of the mags this week :)

2»

Comments

• blackburn_jon
    blackburn_jon Posts: 400 Forumite
    I know this will upset some people on here but I hate it when people sell their wins on ebay. If they don't want the prize they shouldn't enter as there are entries that want the prize.
    My thoughts precisely.
  • nanto3girls
    nanto3girls Posts: 5,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Iv'e come across her before.Here she is on you tube talking about comping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfwbZ1CnYqI
  • The_3rd_Zebu
    The_3rd_Zebu Posts: 741 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    "I lived off competitions for a whole year."

Well if she was receiving benefits aswell well then yes of course she can live off competitions because anything she wins is a bonus. Plus she has got all day long to keep entering.

:cool:
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Oh God, here we go again! Can't we all just agree to disagree about this flaming topic once and for all and then move on. Neither side is ever going to convince the other. All it does is stir up bad feelings. We are all adults who are entitled to decide these issues for ourselves, without being bullied about our beliefs. Personally, I would like to see this topic banned! It is by far the most damaging aspect of the forum.
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • renegadia
    renegadia Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Forgive me for taking this thread and running away with it but I've always wondered...

There seems to be a load of non-IWIWIW threads in IWIWIW. I'm not picking an argument or anything but I've always wondered why the threads discussing things about competitions couldn't be posted in, oh I don't know, the Competition Discussion thread?

Unless it's because that seems to be one constant thread and people feel the need/importance that what they say has to warrant a brand new thread. I must apologise to Fire**Fly though, this is by no means a direct criticism to her, it's just the way this thread has descended into a discussion got me thinking which is always dangerous because I have a habit of just saying what I think and deciding later whether I'd said it...in the right way, not unlike some other posters on here *giggles* :D

I guess could it be because the Comps Disc thread is just that, one thread? I'm certainly not well versed in computer administration but if it wasn't too difficult to convert a thread into a sub-topic, would people use it more, or would other sub topics still suffer? I'm by no means an longtime member, I just wonder what other's opinions would be. It might be something maybe MSE Admin could look into trialling? Mind you, I've just thought of the irony if someone goes and requests this post to be moved into CompDisc!

Anyway, enough of my 'pointless' pedantic musings :) I was just taking a much needed break from adding stuff onto ebay. If you need me, you'll know where I be :)

ren
    Golly, I've got the newt pregnant...

**Gulp**
  • luckylady0
    luckylady0 Posts: 141 Forumite
    The article is interesting and I think would be better as just an exceptional individual story rather than sounding like a recommendation. It seems to make comping sound like a business that anyone can be successful at if they follow the tips but they didn't mention the other side - which applies to everything in life, including business and comping; and that's luck. No matter if you enter 1 a day or 100 a day lucky plays a huge part I think - and from what I've seen on this board it's not evenly spread out at all.

I also don't fully agree with the 'more you enter the higher your chances will be' ethos - yes it sounds believable, that your chances are higher with more entries but those entries are spread out through different comps and with each comp comes a whole other set of competitors (some being in greater number than others but thinking in averages to make it easier) so it's just like multiplying the same set of circumstances where you're one against the many. The number of contests you've entered is greater but your entries aren't. I'm sure it works for some though, it has to since it's a possibility but for others who have the luck to win, it increases the chances of winning stuff you don't want (and perhaps can't flog or give away e.g. usually small inexpensive items) as well as the stuff you do. But anyway, anyone who tries this comping game will realize whether it's for them or not and whether they have luck on their side.
  • Pechow
    Pechow Posts: 729 Forumite
    Wish I had her luck, is all I can say :P
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    hi, the post is just to help/show ops who go through slow/never win or are feeling a bit down that if they keep at it there's bound to be a winner soon hopefully for them,
    there's been a few posts like this one
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3951215
    so thought it would encourage them all :)
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• PixieCat_3
    PixieCat_3 Posts: 31 Forumite
    I saw that in last week's Chat and I have seen several articles in various newspapers / magazines like this. But these people are the exception to the rule and if they interviewed everyone who entered as many competitions as she does most would probably say they've only won a couple of small prizes. I would never begrudge somebody a win (or lots of wins), personally I enjoy reading winners' stories but for people reading that who aren't compers will think it's easy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure