Pre MOT

sevenhills
sevenhills Posts: 5,883 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
With the new MOT rules, it seems to me to make more sense to get a pre-MOT.
If your car fails there is no advisories or anything at all listed online, you have no time limit and can have it tested at any garage, and you can do any work at home.
And if it would pass, just instruct them to do it straight away.

The maximum MOT test costs are £54.85 for cars, you could probably get a pre-MOT for half of that price.

Comments

• Noree
    Noree Posts: 166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Why bother?

The test itself has not really changed, it is more about the failure criteria.

Some things that used to fail, are now minors at most. Some things have been added. It is not necessarily stricter on all parts.

Plus you would have to hope the person who does a pre-MOT is a tester and knows the standards.

And you!!!8217;re paying for two separate jobs.

If you want to pay twice and book your car in on separate occasions, then feel free. If you were thinking of getting a pre-MOT & then an actual MOT on the cheap to make it cost-worthy, then again, go for it. I seriously would not bother. What is to really be achieved?!

I would not pay twice and (as I assume you want to) get a cheap MOT conducted.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sevenhills wrote: »
    With the new MOT rules, it seems to me to make more sense to get a pre-MOT.
    If your car fails there is no advisories or anything at all listed online, you have no time limit and can have it tested at any garage, and you can do any work at home.
    And if it would pass, just instruct them to do it straight away.

The maximum MOT test costs are £54.85 for cars, you could probably get a pre-MOT for half of that price.

Why would a garage charge half the price to test the same items?
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Garages only offer half price MOTs to get customers through the door and sell them additional work (which doesn't always need doing)
    If you want the "pre-MOT" done by a qualified engineer, then they will book it in as an MOT.
    I don't see much point in it to be honest.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,883 Forumite
    stator wrote: »
    Garages only offer half price MOTs to get customers through the door and sell them additional work (which doesn't always need doing)
    If you want the "pre-MOT" done by a qualified engineer, then they will book it in as an MOT.
    I don't see much point in it to be honest.

In the instance you describe, the garage wanting additional work would know that they are not getting the work, so they would be more likely to say all was ok.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    stator wrote: »
    The garage I go to does half price MOTs, my car has never failed one. Your claim they do it to get additional work that doesn't need doing is borderline slanderous without proof.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    It's fair to say that a cheap mot offer will generate some additional work for the garage. Some garages may try it on and recommend more than is necessary but I don't think most would.
    The garage I use is always fully booked and doesn't need to generate any more business, they work on getting repeat business.
  • Noree
    Noree Posts: 166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It is something of a stigma to associate cheap MOTs with trying to fail and make extra work. Yes it does happen but not at every place, that would be very presumptuous.

Some places offer cheap MOTs to try and get new custom, but mainly it is where they are competing with other local MOT centres.

Other places fail when it is not the case and they have the wrong idea. Common areas where testers have mistakenly failed are widescreen issues (damage/obstructions), tyres and corrosion to name a few.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Tarambor wrote: »
    The garage I go to does half price MOTs, my car has never failed one. Your claim they do it to get additional work that doesn't need doing is borderline slanderous without proof.

If you re-read my post you'll see what I actually said is not what you think I said.

Garages only offer half price MOTs to get extra work. They certainly don't make a profit on a half price MOT. So they want to do your MOT repairs
    Some garages will fail you for things that don't need doing yet in order to create work for themselves. I think garages that charge half price for MOTs are more likely to make up work than ones that charge full price MOTs. But not all of them.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    Tarambor wrote: »

No, that is borderline drivel. Since he hasn't named anyone, who could he have slandered?

And even if had, it would be libel, not slander. At least in England and Wales.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure