What your credit score really means

Comments

• Thanks to the person who started this thread.

Aged 50 I've never given any thought to my credit report, mainly because I have never had credit and pay for what I can afford at the time.

Joined clearscore and discovered a £50 debt off Virgin mobile is translated on credit report as 'serious arrears'. May post another thread as I just want to say thanks for the information here.

By the way, is anyone else annoyed at that TV advert that has people walking around with floating credit scores?
  • sauvignon
    sauvignon Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2016 at 11:35AM
    I'm responding to the original sticky rather than any specific post.
    In my opinion credit scores are useless as banks and BS "have their own rating systems" anyway. They have more to do with their commercial reasons than your own creditworthiness.

Here's my experience. As a long-term customer of a major BS with current account, credit card, cash ISA and savings accounts etc. all with them for most of the past 15+ years, I had my credit card suspended without notice a year ago. When I received their letter, it had already been cancelled! The alleged reason was there was "a risk I'd be unable to repay my debts" (which was under £10 at that point). I have always been a model borrower: no defaults or arrears on mortgage or any other credit repayments ever, no current loans except a monthly 1K balance on another credit card always paid in full and occasionally using 0% money transfers, so with a checkable history. The BS offered no other explanation and referred me to Experian, allegedly the source they relied on. This was later described as "incorrect advice" as the "decision was irreversible" all along and the BS offered a £25 compensation. My Experian score was 995, the only blemish being a CCJ entered through clerical error and for a trivial matter (I successfully sued an airline for compensation) which I raised with the court and had subsequently removed by Experian. The BS wasn't interested, referring to "their own credit rating system". Now with a score of 999 I turned to the Ombudsman. After months of changing their story the BS ended up claiming the CCJ (made btw 3 years earlier) was the trigger for their decision. The Ombudsman didn't uphold my complaint as the provider was "entitled to suspend an account for commercial reasons without giving a reason". I had suspected all along that this was a commercial decision, but did not accept the O's ruling because the provider DID give a reason, but one that was totally fabricated and also had acted without giving me a 2-months' notice which under their own T&Cs applies to cases where there no reason is given. So even with the O's involvement, the BS got away with a draconian decision made on false pretences affecting a customer with a 999 credit score.
    PS Fully aware of this, the BS subsequently offered to restore my credit card! Needless to say, I was no longer interested.
  • AndyLGR
    AndyLGR Posts: 229 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 May 2016 at 11:05AM
    Does PCP use the same credit file criteria as having an unsecured loan?
  • I was recently refused credit by O2. They told me they used Equifax. After reading a bit on this website and feeling suitably chastised for not checking my records I bought a one of (£2) check for Equifax. I've read it all and can't see a single problem or blemish. I'm on the electoral register, have a mortgage and pay off credit cards in full and on-time.

I understand that it's possible to get a more detailed report, including the mythical 'credit score' but that seems to involve a sign-up for the trial then remembering to cancel. Furthermore, having read this thread, I'm dubious it would make me any wiser than I am already.

So the outcome is that O2 lose my business. No great loss.
  • Lee_Slater
    Lee_Slater Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 29 May 2016 at 10:08AM
    I recently applied for a credit card through Sainsburys as they were showing the best interested free rate over the longer time. I sent the application and it was and instantly was declined.

It prompted me to check my credit score with Experian if I had any concerns. I signed up with Experian and it showed my credit score as excellent. So I put the decline down to Sainsburys select customer criteria.

I then applied for the Post Office credit card as it had a similar offer and again I was declined. With my frustration I came to the MSE website where I did the quick eligibility check which was fantastic as it it provided me with information of the credit card companies which I am likely to be approved with.

With these details I went with Barclays who were at the top of the list and was approved straight away....so thanks MSE for that!

My question is because I applied to Sainsburys and the Post Office and was declined will this effect my credit score?

Thanks, Lee
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It may do. It may go up or down, but it doesn't matter.

What will show on your file is the searches and the new Barclaycard account.
  • Tanarif
    Tanarif Posts: 50 Forumite
    I use noddle.co.uk which is free and I have a credit score of 607 and credit rating 4/5.
    Not sure really if this is reflective when I try and get new credit/debit cards/loans/etc.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    No, it's not.
  • are there really credit card , you can get if you have low score.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 June 2016 at 3:26PM
    MrsM just opened a new Tesco current account, no OD and no searches showing. Her Noddle score has gone down by 10 pts and her overall rating down to 4/5. So because she has opened a current account she is less credit worthy in their eyes even though it has already reported a green dot !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback