Anyone else been refused tap water in restaurant

Comments

• saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    steveymp wrote: »
    Having worked in hotels and pubs most of my life I know that the profit in drink is not from beer or spirits but from soft drinks. This is the reason some try to refuse or charge for tap water.

I paid £3.75 for a jug or cordial last year in a hotel, despite just ordering in excess of £50 worth of food :o I spoke pleasantly to the owner afterwards and he sheepishly refunded the £3.75 (which I then added to the tip bowl as service was good). He saw my point of view as I told him returning happy custom is better than a short term gain and peeing customers off, a simple charge of 50p to cover cordial and ice would be perfectly acceptable.

I cannot and will not ever charge anyone for a glass of water, I will present it to them in a nice clean glass, with ice, a slice of lemon and a smile (the latter of which costs nothing) in the hope that they return as a customer again.

I agree, the supermarkets have "loss leaders" to attract and retain customers, supplying free tap water is similar. The restaurant will clearly make a loss on each glass but it adds to the customer good will and they should return again to spend money on the profit generating products.
  • Willyk
    Willyk Posts: 302 Forumite
    Looks like its free in Scotland as well:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/tap-water-rights
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    motorguy wrote: »
    Why?

I take it you otherwise had a lovely meal and a good experience?

Perhaps their cost for processing a drink, in terms of overheads, serving it, clearing it, washing the glass, etc is 50p. Therefore you got the water free?

They have to wipe the tables or change the table linen, maybe they should surcharge for that. Maybe charge more in winter as the heating is on.

There is a cafe in England that charges by time not what you order as the biggest overheads are wages and rent.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    I agree, the supermarkets have "loss leaders" to attract and retain customers, supplying free tap water is similar. The restaurant will clearly make a loss on each glass but it adds to the customer good will and they should return again to spend money on the profit generating products.

I have no particular view whether water to be charged for or not, but likewise i dont take exception (as several others do) if a particular establishment does.

Sadly, theres very little "goodwill" left these days. Less people are going out, people are spending less money, and they tend to gravitate to where the offers are or where the most convenient restaurant is. Unless of course its a particular special occassion.

Therefore i dont particularly agree that if you give people "free" water, thats offset by increased profit overall because of their repeat custom - not when you take into account overall lost revenue in their bar sales otherwise.

Clearly restaurants that do charge have "done their homework" and i guess are acutely aware of the impact of charging for water or not.

I guess we would have to assume that they know their business better than we do, and its very easy as an outsider to a particular business to express what "should" or "shouldnt" be done.
  • motorguy
    I'm curious - how do these conversations go to ensure you get your "free" water?

Hi, could i order a water please?

Yes, sparkling or still?

No. i want a glass of tap water please.

Ok. With ice?

No. No ice. I want you to have no reason at all for you to charge me for this, therefore i'm happy with luke warm tap water please.

Sorry. Its not our policy to serve tap water.

I'm outraged! I'll never come here again.
  • adouglasmhor
    Photogenic
    Can I have a glass of tap water please, thanks.

If I don't get it the waiter is stuffed for a tip.

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • motorguy
    edited 8 April 2014 at 10:55AM

They have to wipe the tables or change the table linen, maybe they should surcharge for that. Maybe charge more in winter as the heating is on.

Yup. All built in to the overheads, which they would apportion out.

There is a cafe in England that charges by time not what you order as the biggest overheads are wages and rent.

I remember reading that, but thats not what they were doing - they were splitting the charges out to a "table fee" per 15 mins and "food ordered". Otherwise people would come in and eat steaks very quickly? :eek:
  • jouef
    jouef Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Willyk wrote: »
    Looks like its free in Scotland as well:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/tap-water-rights

Yes, from elsewhere on this site it seems clear that businesses with an alcohol on-licence in the UK outside NI must provide tap water free but may charge for serving it.
  • adouglasmhor
    Photogenic
    Yup. All built in to the overheads, which they would apportion out.
    They could add the miniscule cost of cleaning a glass to that no problem or use disposables/recyclables at <1.5p each if that works out cheaper.

I remember reading that, but thats not what they were doing - they were splitting the charges out to "table rent" and "food ordered". Otherwise people would come in and eat steaks very quickly? :eek:

I stand corrected on that one, though I thought it was a cakes, sarnies and coffee type place, so running very similar but slight variation to an all you can eat slopshop model.

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    I have no particular view whether water to be charged for or not, but likewise i dont take exception (as several others do) if a particular establishment does.

Sadly, theres very little "goodwill" left these days. Less people are going out, people are spending less money, and they tend to gravitate to where the offers are or where the most convenient restaurant is. Unless of course its a particular special occassion.

Therefore i dont particularly agree that if you give people "free" water, thats offset by increased profit overall because of their repeat custom - not when you take into account overall lost revenue in their bar sales otherwise.

Clearly restaurants that do charge have "done their homework" and i guess are acutely aware of the impact of charging for water or not.

I guess we would have to assume that they know their business better than we do, and its very easy as an outsider to a particular business to express what "should" or "shouldnt" be done.

I can get your point though I don't necessarily agree with it. I'm of the opinion that tight times (like now) are when you try and retain customers. I eat in places where tap water isn't available and I have to pay for bottled water, usually higher priced places, I've never really had a problem with that. It's a complete double standard on my part that I would be happy for one place to charge and not another.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure