Electric cars

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Bad news I'm afraid for anyone planning to buy a small battery hybrid in 22yrs time ...... no seriously.

Michael Gove leading plan to ban sale of new hybrid cars by 2040

Perhaps there will be a small market for BEV's with a range extender by 2040, but I suspect this policy decision on short electric range hybrid's will be pretty pointless.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Volkswagen Doubles EV Battery Order To $48 Billion
    Just 6 weeks ago, Volkswagen boss Matthias Müller stunned the automotive world when he revealed the company had placed orders for EV batteries and components worth a total of $25 billion. The battery purchase is spread among three companies — Samsung SDI, LG Chem, and Contemporary Amperex (aka CATL).

Now, Müller’s star is in eclipse inside the Volkswagen boardroom and new head man Herbert Diess has doubled down on Müller’s pledge. At the company’s annual shareholder meeting in Berlin on May 3, Diess told investors his company has signed orders for $48 billion worth of batteries, according to a report from Fortune. That’s double the amount touted just a few weeks ago.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Bad news I'm afraid for anyone planning to buy a small battery hybrid in 22yrs time ...... no seriously.

Perhaps there will be a small market for BEV's with a range extender by 2040, but I suspect this policy decision on short electric range hybrid's will be pretty pointless.
    Just the government pretending to be "green." They should know by now that BEV's will dominate well before 2040.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

I read that too. The first picture is a classic of the genre.

For badly parked cars I think diamond pointed pram wheel hubs and similarly equipped white sticks are the answer..
  • Martyn1981
    Good comments and support for EV's from the UK:

Jaguar I-PACE Selected For Luxury Chauffeur Service At London’s Heathrow Airport

Top Gear: Tesla’s Model 3 Is A “Triumph”

[Let's hope the 'triumph' reference is a complement, not a comparison. M.]

• gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My only interest in the Royal Wedding....

2.36595815.jpg?w=640
  • Martyn1981
    Twitter comments discussing the AWD and performance Tesla Model 3:

Elon Musk - Tesla AWD is dual motor, so you can fully drive the car even if one breaks.

MachTecGenius - But I would assume it is super unlikely it would the motor would fail at all?

Elon Musk - That is true. Electric motors are far more reliable than combustion engines. You need an electric motor just to start a gas engine!

:rotfl: :T

Tesla Model 3 Performance & AWD Details Sung From A Little Blue Bird — 3.5 Seconds To 60 MPH! [Hot!]
    Tesla CEO Elon Musk has taken to his favorite social media and communications platform to share details regarding the new Tesla Model 3 Performance & AWD option Tesla is rolling out. Aside from what you will find in the Model 3 configurator, Mr. Elon responded to some of the many tweeted questions with extra details and a little bit of his special Elon marketing.

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Twitter comments discussing the AWD and performance Tesla Model 3:

Elon Musk - Tesla AWD is dual motor, so you can fully drive the car even if one breaks.

MachTecGenius - But I would assume it is super unlikely it would the motor would fail at all?

Elon Musk - That is true. Electric motors are far more reliable than combustion engines. You need an electric motor just to start a gas engine!

:rotfl: :T

Tesla Model 3 Performance & AWD Details Sung From A Little Blue Bird — 3.5 Seconds To 60 MPH! [Hot!]

I've had more starter motors fail than engines. :p
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    I've had one starter motor fail vs maybe 4 engine component failures. Admittedly mostly sensors.

Michael Gove leading plan to ban sale of new hybrid cars by 2040

Males sense, it stops people just sticking a small battery in that barely moves the car, to keep selling ice cars are hybrid.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 21 May 2018 at 7:46AM
    Herzlos wrote: »
    I've had one starter motor fail vs maybe 4 engine component failures. Admittedly mostly sensors.

Males sense, it stops people just sticking a small battery in that barely moves the car, to keep selling ice cars are hybrid.

Yep, plus those ownership cost studies seem to show that hybrids cost more to run than an ICE, whereas BEV's are cheaper, so hybrid's having the best of both worlds also means that they have the worst too due to the extra complications.

Still, hybrids have helped to prove all the technology and introduce folk to EV's, so a useful part of the transition. It'll be interesting to see when EV sales start to overtake hybrid sales - though this may be a supply (not demand) problem regarding EV's.

Edit - Just seen this article which has an interesting graph showing the sales of hybrids, PHEV's and BEV's in California, so the market may be starting to shift already, and where Cali goes the rest of the US tends to follow.

Is The Tesla Model 3 The !!!8220;New Prius?!!!8221;

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback