Credit check without consent.

Hi,

I have recently moved into a new property and the energy supplier has completed a 'hard' credit check on me without my permission which has of course negatively impacted my credit score. I am obviously upset about this especially considering the fact I have not confirmed to the company that I will be the bill-payer at the property. I used to work for said company a few years back and consent was always required (over the phone) to conduct credit checks but I'm not sure if this has changed. Are companies allowed to do this and if not, is there a particular complaints procedure I should follow?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Their complaints procedure should be on their website.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Have you made an application to this company for the supply of energy and/or are they currently supplying you with energy on credit (ie not a prepayment meter)?
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    lcp93 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have recently moved into a new property and the energy supplier has completed a 'hard' credit check on me without my permission which has of course negatively impacted my credit score. ...

Your credit score is largely meaningless. It's nothing to get upset about.
    lcp93 wrote: »
    I am obviously upset about this especially considering the fact I have not confirmed to the company that I will be the bill-payer at the property. I used to work for said company a few years back and consent was always required (over the phone) to conduct credit checks but I'm not sure if this has changed. Are companies allowed to do this and if not, is there a particular complaints procedure I should follow?...

You have a deemed contract with the energy supplier. You have obviously contacted them and identified yourself. I'd suspect that consent to credit checks would be in the deemed contract somewhere.
  • sargeantsalt
    sargeantsalt Posts: 72 Forumite
    The energy company can credit check you without your consent because it is up to the CRA and the energy company not you.

The very idea that your consent is required is a myth spread to reassure the public that they have rights.

If you are not happy, you have the right to change energy supplier to one who does not credit check.
  • I think if you have a credit meter i believe it's standard for a supplier to do a credit check: OVO did when I switched to them.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I assume your a US or CA user? This is a UK site.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure