Contactless not wanted on credit cards

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've used contactless for years, including abroad before it was rolled out here.

The two advantages to me are:
    1) Speed
    2) Reduced risk of my PIN being captured by hidden cameras, compromised PDQ machines.
    I see a third advantage when overseas - there's apparently no chance of DCC being offered or imposed.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    DCFC79 wrote: »

Line your wallet in foil if you like or buy an RFID wallet.

Im sure I read those wallets are a waste of money. In order to skim a contactless card, the person doing it would have to be almost touching your card to read it, so a normal wallet will offer enough protection. Also ontop of that they cant skim your card details off the chip anyway
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    bobblebob wrote: »
    Im sure I read those wallets are a waste of money.

At least it's a cheap waste of money.

A chap I knew spent £25,000 having a faraday cage professionally installed in his home. This was to stop any "waves" in general, and government mind control waves in particular, from reaching him.

After a few minutes sitting inside, his phone rang. "Guess I was scammed" he told me.
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    In any case, RFID-based contactless payment systems have recently fallen out of favor among U.S. credit card companies. Theyre focusing instead on implementing a European-style chip-and-PIN system known as EMV, which uses different technology and is less vulnerable to remote skimming. (EMV cards may come with their own security risks, but again, an RFID-blocking wallet wont help you with those.)

So yea, seem pointless
  • Hi Bunglesmate,

Please not this is not advise only information and processes could change.

Sainsbury's Credit Cards have recently introduced contactless onto the system. This means all new cards that are coming to expiration date would be re-issued with contactless (or anyone that phones to get a replacement card prior to expiry, for example)

*This also includes brand new applicants also.

However, we appreciate not everyone wants a contactless card for security reasons or personal reasons so every customer has the availability to maintain Chip & Pin only without the contactless being on their card.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know!

Kind regards,
    Anonymous
    :j
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    However, we appreciate not everyone wants a contactless card for security reasons or personal reasons so every customer has the availability to maintain Chip & Pin only without the contactless being on their card.

If that really is a long term policy, then Sainsbury's would do well to promote this. There is clearly demand in the market for a non-contactless product, whatever others might feel about their worries.

Incidentally if you are in a position to represent Sainsbury, you can ask register with MSE as an official representative.
  • SainsburysAnonymous
    SainsburysAnonymous Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2018 at 10:54PM
    If that really is a long term policy, then Sainsbury's would do well to promote this. There is clearly demand in the market for a non-contactless product, whatever others might feel about their worries.

Incidentally if you are in a position to represent Sainsbury, you can ask register with MSE as an official representative.

Hi Chatty

Personally, I hope they do long-term keep that policy as it's not something every customers wants, or requires.

Unfortunately, I'm not P.R nor am I someone that could represent Sainsburys through the website. I'm just someone that currently knows Credit Cards and looking to provide clarity when required. I'm not able to provide anything else other than information (obviously)

*Edited to be safe!

Kind regards!
    :j
  • JGUK
    JGUK Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    So if you want a card with contactless, can you ring up and request one, or does your card have to be damaged or near expiry?
    Thanks
    JG
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    TescoBank have just sent me a contactless MasterCard as a replacement, and their call centre says they now do not provide the ordinary, non-contactless, chip-and-PIN-only card.

I have cut it up and sent it back, and will close down this account unless they can send me an ordinary chip-and-PIN credit card.

I don't mind having a contactless debit card, since this is quite logical, but not a contactless credit card!
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    John_Gray wrote: »
    I don't mind having a contactless debit card, since this is quite logical, but not a contactless credit card!

Care to elaborate as to why?

I'd personally rather* it on my credit card given any potential theft won't be of my money.

*I actually welcome it on both, but if I had to choose on just one, it would be my credit cards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure