DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Suseka97 wrote: »
    Just to add to the discussion re SC sending applications to set up a Barclays basic account with their packs. They did the same when we started (almost 5 years ago now), which at the time we found quite odd because the majority of debt was linked to Barclays loans and credit cards. When I queried this they said that there was some sort of agreement that when setting up a DMP via SC they (Barclays) would not use the 'right to offset'.

Makes me feel like 'Billy-No-Mates' (or whatever the female equivalent is) as they never sent me a Barclay's account application. Maybe because I didn't have any Barclay's products or debts to start with. Probably Barclay's didn't want to lose you completely as a customer.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Makes me feel like 'Billy-No-Mates' (or whatever the female equivalent is) as they never sent me a Barclay's account application. Maybe because I didn't have any Barclay's products or debts to start with. Probably Barclay's didn't want to lose you completely as a customer.

We never got sent one either. We had 3 massive debts with BC.
  • Danny008
    Danny008 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am currently on my 3rd month of saving my emergency fund. I am looking to start my DMP in April. I wrote to all my creditors explaining this. Yesterday I got a letter from Tesco bank saying !!!8216;notice of default!!!8217; and I had to pay all my arrears within 28 days. Is this anything to worry about. I!!!8217;ve not heard anything off any of my other creditors. Thanks in advance.
  • System
    Options
    Danny008 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am currently on my 3rd month of saving my emergency fund. I am looking to start my DMP in April. I wrote to all my creditors explaining this. Yesterday I got a letter from Tesco bank saying !!!8216;notice of default!!!8217; and I had to pay all my arrears within 28 days. Is this anything to worry about. I!!!8217;ve not heard anything off any of my other creditors. Thanks in advance.

Don't worry, this is pretty standard practice and a default is good if you are on a DMP.
  • MaryMorrow
    Options
    Hi
    I hope this is the right place to post this, I am currently on a DMP with StepChange and about 18mths into the plan (2yrs 8mths to go) but have now reached the point where both Virgin and Halifax are adding almost as much interest as I'm paying them !!!128555; I've tried repeatedly to get them to stop and all they say is that I'm not in financial hardship anymore because I'm paying more than 1% of the balance!
    So I'm wondering if I'm better off moving away from StepChange and doing my own DMP? That way I can reduce my payments to the creditors that keep adding interest? Has anyone done this or have any super duper ways to get them to stop adding interest?
    Thanks
  • selinek
    selinek Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Anybody got experience of sending off CCA's to L*nk? Sent the letters on 31st Jan and have heard nothing back from them. PR* were happy to out our accounts on hold, but no communication from L*nk at all. Would you just wait, or write again and chase a response. Currently paying them £1 a month to each account.

I had sent 3 CCA’s to Link 6 months ago. Heard nothing. At the moment debt UE. don’t intend to follow them up or pay unless they produce the original paperwork. Some people one on here hadn’t heard from them for well over a year. Just sit tight
  • System
    Options
    selinek wrote: »
    I had sent 3 CCA’s to Link 6 months ago. Heard nothing. At the moment debt UE. don’t intend to follow them up or pay unless they produce the original paperwork. Some people one on here hadn’t heard from them for well over a year. Just sit tight

So how do you know they are UE, if they haven't yet sent you the paperwork?
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MaryMorrow wrote: »
    Hi
    I hope this is the right place to post this, I am currently on a DMP with StepChange and about 18mths into the plan (2yrs 8mths to go) but have now reached the point where both Virgin and Halifax are adding almost as much interest as I'm paying them !!!128555; I've tried repeatedly to get them to stop and all they say is that I'm not in financial hardship anymore because I'm paying more than 1% of the balance!
    So I'm wondering if I'm better off moving away from StepChange and doing my own DMP? That way I can reduce my payments to the creditors that keep adding interest? Has anyone done this or have any super duper ways to get them to stop adding interest?
    Thanks

I have no experience of Virgin - but certainly have with Halifax and also Barclaycard, both of whom were a nightmare. Halifax continued to charge interest and refused to default us for over a year and as soon as we (via SC) started to pay what would have been the equivalent of a minimum monthly payment to Barclaycard they basically put our account back to a 'normal' status and reinstated interest :mad: Eventually, after much letter writing and complaining both companies ended up defaulting and selling the debt on at which time interest stopped (although I had to push for backdated defaults, but that's another story).

So, to answer your question - yes, go self-managed and reduce them both to token (or no) payments until they default and sell on. Set the money aside and save towards either an emergency fund or F&Fs down the line. Stepchange are great in so much as they help people get themselves out of what is often a very stressful situation - but their method of allocation and very stringent policy of playing 'fair' to the creditors allows for no flexibility even when they know creditors are refusing to stop interest charges because they are getting a payment above whatever the companies threshold for stopping interest is. A catch 22.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    So how do you know they are UE, if they haven't yet sent you the paperwork?

Debts UE *BECAUSE* they haven't sent paperwork :beer:
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MaryMorrow wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks

I agree with Suseka - go self managed, drop to zero or token payments. SC are great, but are very inflexible when it comes to situations like this.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure