B&Q appalling customer service

I bought a load of laminate flooring from B & Q, I've never had a problem with them before and had been a good customer.

During installation I noticed the boards popping up, I telephoned their customer service who were very apologetic and told me to take lots of photos. Unfortunately he did not tell me that if I took the flooring up I would invalidate the guarantee!!

I went into the store and the manager referred me to open a case and to telephone customer service.

They refused to open a case and messed me around for 2 weeks. Finally a case was opened and after another 2 weeks they basically accused me of lying and that they were closing the case and I could have 10% off future purchases!!

Wouldn't allow me to escalate the case !!

Advise that I write to HQ, which I did asking for case to be escalated and a copy of the recording of my initial conversation with their customer service (this is called a subject access request- under data protection Act). My complaint was then handed back to the original customer service team, where I was told they were yet again closing my complaint and I should seek 3rd party advice!! No reference to my request.

In frustration I have taken to social media to let others know about what can happen if you buy laminate from B&Q and how poor their customer service is!! I will continue to fight with them and will share my experience with all potential customer of what you can expect!!!

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Don't fight with B&Q. Their customer service is a waste of time. They do not value ANY customers, regardless how long you have shopped with them.

If you have evidence it is faulty, and can perhaps get this backed up by someone, then send them a letter before action insisting on a full refund.

I got laminate flooring in my previous property from Ikea which was much cheaper and fabulous.

After B&Q refused to replace a £10 faulty clip on lamp (where the plastic snapped over time if you had it clipped to anything!! It couldn't stand the stress force of the spring!) I have rarely shopped there since, and have actually saved a lot of money. It may be convenient, but it is rather expensive.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Acpike123
    Acpike123 Posts: 12 Forumite
    This has now about how appalling their customer services is ive set up a facebook page and if you have experienced the same terrible service share on FB look up B&Q defective flooring and appalling customer service

#BandQshameonyou !!
  • loftykins
    loftykins Posts: 25 Forumite
    looking at your FB page it looks like you had forced the boards together and damaged the tounge n groove on them.
    I also noticed the gaps and it does not look like it was fitted properly.
    I noticed you had the cheap foam roll as an underlay but was your floor completely level underneath it? By the size of one of the gaps I would think it was not.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,993
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I damaged a few boards until I'd done a few. If the tongue isn't clicked in properly at an angle, then when you push it down flat, it will leave a gap and damage the tongue/groove which looks like what may have happened here?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2017 at 10:45PM
    I've just had a look at your group and that is the exact same flooring I bought and laid in my new home in October. I agree with the above poster that you have laid it incorrectly.

Don't get me wrong ours wasn't easy, the boards are so solid and thick (which is a good thing) that it was the most difficult flooring I've ever laid. Between myself, OH and BIL we have laid over a dozen floors in our own homes and helping out friends and relatives. Even with time for cuts and angles etc. the most we have taken previously was about four hours. This stuff took all three of us all of one day and just myself and OH finished it of the next morning.

The photos you've put if the little strips that have come off happens when you leave too big a gap from the previous board and when you push it to click it into place it rips the strip off, laid in the correct position and it locks into place properly. Did you use a tapping block with it at all? If we hadn't used one with ours we could never have got the joins flush enough and do have a few areas where we caused the same damage as you so have a slightly raised joint, luckily the surrounding boards hold it in place well enough and almost six months later ours is going well.

ETA: the damage to your won't be helped by the way you have them stacked vertically against the wall, packs of laminate should always be kept flat to avoid this and it's why the shops always stack it flat even though it would give more space to stack vertically.
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Facebook group is gone :-(
  • loftykins
    loftykins Posts: 25 Forumite
    facebook.com/BQ-defective-flooring-rubbish-customer-services-1452391764795698/

still there
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 March 2017 at 12:54AM
    I agree with others that the photos show laminate flooring which has not been fitted or even stored correctly, hence the apparent "damage" and lack of satisfaction. There are instructions included with the product and videos are also available on the company's website providing a step-by-step and useful hints &tips. Staff in branch are also trained to advise. The customer obviously failed to avail himself of any of these prior to "installation".

Even the power of social media will not net a refund or exchange when the customer has clearly not paid any heed..

Complaining about the shop refusing to open a "case" which had no merit in the first place is a waste of time.

Why would a recording of the initial complaint call be of any use? A few sentences earlier the staff were described as "apologetic". Regardless, there is unlikely to be any such recording if the call was to a local branch.

I suppose the retailer might settle just to be rid, but the customer should not count on it. The more likely outcome is that a rep from the manufacturer of the laminate will be despatched to inspect the floor and confirm that it has been poorly fitted. I expect this is the "Third Party" referred to.

I'm thinking this thread should be posted on the "Praise Vents and Warnings" board, as there appears to be no Consumer Rights question in the OP
    loftykins wrote: »

still there
    With a grand total of eight people following ! :)
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 21 March 2017 at 12:53AM
    Acpike123 wrote: »
    Advise that I write to HQ, which I did asking for case to be escalated and a copy of the recording of my initial conversation with their customer service (this is called a subject access request- under data protection Act).

Did you address it to the correct department as mentioned on their website? And include the relevant fee?

It appears like they are saying it is user error that is the fault, and if you want to take it further you need to commission an independant report to state the flooring is actually faulty and is not a result of poor installation. They are within their rights to do this, so instead of wasting time with Facebook groups that should be your next step. If indeed the product is at fault, you will be reimbursed this cost. If on the other hand it is an installation error, then you are further out of pocket.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Did you address it to the correct department as mentioned on their website? And include the relevant fee?
    I think spending £10 on a SAR would achieve very little in this case. It's doubtful any recording would have been made.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure