DBS check

I was previously sacked for theft in an accountancy office. I was photocopying my passport using the company's photocopier, during my lunch time. I was sacked on the spot but the incident was not reported to the police.

This job lasted for 2 months. I was previously working in airport security and only put them down as my last employer when applying for jobs. No employer will hire me if I say I was sacked for theft.

Got a new job now in another accountancy firm, but they will be doing a DBS check. Does the DBS check only ask for previous addresses, or previous jobs? How does it work?

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Seriously? You worked at airport security and don't know this?

Anyway: no, the DBS check your criminal past. That means convictions and cautions for crimes.

They're not going to check job history
  • Nookie5
    Nookie5 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Seriously? You worked at airport security and don't know this?

Anyway: no, the DBS check your criminal past. That means convictions and cautions for crimes.

They're not going to check job history

I mostly just hanged around looking cool in the airport. I didn't do any document checking on the job or receive any DBS training. Last time I had a DBS I can't remember what info I gave.

I know it was stupid to steal but it was only one coloured paper. :( I've seen co-workers listen to music online during office hours. They never got sacked for stealing office time or internet usage.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Nookie5 wrote: »
    I mostly just hanged around looking cool in the airport. I didn't do any document checking on the job or receive any DBS training. Last time I had a DBS I can't remember what info I gave.

I know it was stupid to steal but it was only one coloured paper. :( I've seen co-workers listen to music online during office hours. They never got sacked for stealing office time or internet usage.

ok
    1: the info you give to the DBS is always the same. Name, DOB and last 5 years addresses.
    2: I know you didn't do any document checking, nor have anything to do with DBS's, but you must've had a DBS to get the job (and your SIA licence)
    3: Totally irrelevant what happened to others, just accept the boss didn't want you. (and could've just asked you to leave)
  • neilio
    neilio Posts: 286
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was previously sacked for theft in an accountancy office. I was photocopying my passport using the company's photocopier, during my lunch time. I was sacked on the spot but the incident was not reported to the police.

Really? It seems a bit extreme to be sacked for this. Why on earth would anyone consider reporting someone to the police for a bit of photocopying?
    I mostly just hanged around looking cool in the airport.

Is this a wind up?
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite

This job lasted for 2 months. I was previously working in airport security and only put them down as my last employer when applying for jobs. No employer will hire me if I say I was sacked for theft.

Got a new job now in another accountancy firm, but they will be doing a DBS check. Does the DBS check only ask for previous addresses, or previous jobs? How does it work?

seriously, i think the boss didn't like you
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 March 2017 at 8:47AM
    Sounds harsh. Was it just because of the paper / doing non work related stuff or did they think you were up to something? I have heard its not allowed to photocopy passports ( not sure if that is true - I know I've done it!).
    DBS will only show cautions and convictions or if you are banned from working with kids / vulnerable adults. All they need is your address history, name and date of birth and some ID and proof of address ( utility bill ) If the 'theft' wasn't reported to the police it won't show up on DBS.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have heard its not allowed to photocopy passports ( not sure if that is true - I know I've done it!).
    We do it all the time: it's the simplest way of establishing a 'right to work', and as you can be required to 'prove' that you've carried out the check, the simplest thing is to keep a photocopy of the passport on the staff file!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    We do it all the time: it's the simplest way of establishing a 'right to work', and as you can be required to 'prove' that you've carried out the check, the simplest thing is to keep a photocopy of the passport on the staff file!

At one time you were not supposed to photocopy passports at all but then the need to prove right to work checks had been carried out and the decision to employ had been made on the basis of a reasonable judgment of documents produced, this changed. There was also a "black and white" copy only, not colour requirement. However that changed and colour copies are preferred. See http://www.icaew.com/en/archive/members/practice-resources/icaew-practice-support/practicewire/news/photocopying-passports-revised-guidance .

By the way when you take a copy of a passport or other documentary evidence for right to work, you should note on the copy the date the original document was seen and also by whom.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    At one time you were not supposed to photocopy passports at all but then the need to prove right to work checks had been carried out and the decision to employ had been made on the basis of a reasonable judgment of documents produced, this changed. There was also a "black and white" copy only, not colour requirement. However that changed and colour copies are preferred. See http://www.icaew.com/en/archive/members/practice-resources/icaew-practice-support/practicewire/news/photocopying-passports-revised-guidance .

By the way when you take a copy of a passport or other documentary evidence for right to work, you should note on the copy the date the original document was seen and also by whom.

A sensible restriction. Now, every Tom, Dlck and Harry wants a copy of your passport. As a result you totally lose control of this vital document. No wonder identity theft is rampant.
  • Nookie5
    Nookie5 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Sounds harsh. Was it just because of the paper / doing non work related stuff or did they think you were up to something? I have heard its not allowed to photocopy passports ( not sure if that is true - I know I've done it!).
    DBS will only show cautions and convictions or if you are banned from working with kids / vulnerable adults. All they need is your address history, name and date of birth and some ID and proof of address ( utility bill ) If the 'theft' wasn't reported to the police it won't show up on DBS.

I was photocopying my passport for non-worker related purposes. I used their paper, ink, and disrespected authority because I didn't plead for permission.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure