PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 5 March 2017 at 10:00PM
    Options
    This morning
    IN [STRIKE]Nothing[/STRIKE]
    OUT packet of nut loaf made up to go in fridge (will make own in future, was just intrigued to know if it would be delicious), last of alpen used with other bits to make granola for topping fruit and yoghurt (got a touch burnt!), two soya yoghurts (now only have one large alpro in fridge as opposed to eight small yogs and three large alpros), banana, strawberries and handful of blueberries
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Hollyberry
    Options
    This morning

OUT ... two soya yoghurts (now only have one large alpro in fridge as opposed to eight small yogs and three large alpros)

I think they've moved to my fridge. ;) Currently 6 small and 2 large alpros in mine. But they will get eaten.
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    Last night's dinner was what I like to call Pasta alla Leftovers : I bunged in all the bits and bobs left over from the weekend's meals (a few spoons of peas, roasted peppers, gigantes plaki, cherry toms), added some pesto and chucked it on some pasta. Of course I ended up with leftovers of leftovers but I've bunged the extra portion in the freezer for another day's lunch.

Today's lunch was the rest of the leftovers that didn't quite go with pasta - hm humus, hm naan bread and a couple of falafels.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In to freezer: assorted pieces of Czech sausage
    Out of freezer: piece of HM quiche, peas, sweet corn
    In to cupboards: 3 jars meat/fish paste, 2 x kenco decaff, box of teabags
    Out of cupboards: jar of Greek Tuna pate
    Use up: LO roast veg, handful of baby plum tomatoes
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 March 2017 at 2:01AM
    Options
    Last day of the month

Foods in red I cannot eat yet as I am on a special diet for [STRIKE]6[/STRIKE] 8 weeks - has been extended.

Should be reintroducing excluded foods by the end of March. If not, it might be time to throw some of these foods away. I'd like to be able to have a clean sheet before too long and not just keep trying to use up the older foods.

Foods in the freezer past the bb date

1 loaf of bread
    1 part used loaf of cheesy bread
    1 packet of rolls
    Home made vegetable curry
    Home made quorn curry
    Fry's vege beef style strips
    tagliatelli
    chopped ginger

In my fridge

lime juice
    lemon juice
    2 alpro desserts
    butter
    cheese
    goats milk yoghourt
    cheese sauce

In my cupboards

tarka dall
    stuffing mix
    1 tub golden breadcumbs
    9 small boxes of raisins
    almonds
    almond flour
    millet
    marmite
    flax seeds

Total money spent on food groceries this month is £58.58.

Went shopping today and bought eggs, milk, potatoes, mandarins and two bottles of ginger ale. Also ate lunch at the supermarket with my neighbour, but that comes out of a different budget.

I've had one of the bottles of ginger ale today, but the other items I could have shown as bought for next month as not used yet.

I've added a few things that should have been used up in February. It is quite clear to me that I have previously been buying food too soon. I have too much butter, but I've not been baking or using it on bread so that's easily explained. The cheese is from before Christmas, and the cheese sauce a way of using some of it up. I've added the tagliatelli as that is one thing on the banned list. I have sponge flour to be used up this month - that is not going to happen as I've not even opened it. The yoghourt is never eaten before the use by date, but it seems ok for a while after that.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    We pancaked today. Mmm lemony. Taken HM curry out of the freezer for tomorrow. This week should see a few more bits come out of the freezer.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OUT
    Milk, The plastic container split on defrosting, so had to put the milk in a jug, only to find out it was too tall for any of the shelves and too wide for the door :(
    2 slices bread
    finished off some ham from the fridge, plus veg and fruit.

IN - nothing

Meal plan under way - so far so good but it is only day two!!
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    February 2017 -

Since my last post (26/2/17), I frequented two 'Cash and Carry' stores and two local shops. The local 'Cash and Carry' shops tend to be very cheap, reasonably priced or have my regular purchases e.g. stocked up on fruit and vegetables costing between 5p - 30p each. These stores are generally cheaper than anywhere else. Also, the local shops also had some reduced price salad and my milk at special offer.

February 2017 food groceries came to £78.78 (one person/animal feed).
    The fridge looks full but the freezer drawers, whilst appearing full, are well organised and noticeably lighter whilst pulling out. Both store cupboards have a little more space. Two bags of long-life food previously left on a kitchen surface are now in the largest cupboard. Anyway, I think progress is being made so hope it continues!
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Out: berries for a smoothie, some frozen peas, couple of slices of bread
    In: 1/2 tin bamboo shoots
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Hollyberry
    Hollyberry Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In: sushi which will boomerang right back Out later. :)

Out: mini chicken fillets, mushrooms, sweetcorn, green beans, peas, sugarsnaps, last of a jar of grainy mustard, last of a carton of lactose free cream, small tub of non-dairy caramel ice cream (swoon), sushi as above, beetroot salad, cucumber, radishes, apple, banana.

£263.70 was the total grocery spend for February. Aiming for no more than 75% of that for March. One freezer drawer is lighter, and I have 1/6 of the main food cupboard empty. Definitely progress.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback