Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• I got the exact same package from them - its their standard offer from retention's at the mo - 15 installation fees. dunno why since its a self install :/

I took it and then booked in a date for the new router to arrive - it didnt and they couldnt find that I had accepted the deal on the system. £30 credit off my bill
  • RedDwarf82 wrote: »
    I'm on 70 Mbps BB only for £23.25 until March (last week I got an extra £3 discount for 6 months to avoid the recent £3 increase), without any fixed term. So I'm hoping the weekly email shows some great offer during the next 6 months, so I am able to haggle a new 12 months fixed term for the same or less.

I must say my bill is a bit strange. It says the price is £28.25 (this is before the recent £3 increase), minus a £5 loyalty discount. I have no idea where that £28.25 comes from, I'm quite sure it was higher for new clients.

So I told them about the Sky Fibre Broadband offer in MSE and they offered me... something worse than what I already had (more expensive, and lowering my speed). So I started the switch, which I would have been happy to do if there would have been the need.
    It took a while, but retentions finally called (from 0800 052 0980) and matched the "£17/month for 12 months" (literal quote), leaving me with 70 Mbps. Buuuuuuut, when I tried to confirm it in writing in the webchat I was told I was just offered a £6.25 rolling credit. That would have meant £17/month until March, when my previous discounts expired, and £25/month after that. I think it was a honest mistake, the guy in retentions probably didn't notice the other discounts ended in March, but the conversation in the webchat could have been way better.
    Anyway, I called and finally I have been offered £19/month for 12 months plus a £24 credit, making it an average of £17/month (the same than Sky, since I needed to install a new phone line).

Quite bad customer service during the process (had to call once to change the disconnection date), but at the end £17/month for 70 Mbps is a good deal.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My last call with CS had a similar issue - I was offered a deal of £28 for 6 months followed by £31 for the next 6. I queried whether that was for exactly what I currently have and was told yes. Then he set it up and when he came back I just asked to clarify that this did include line rental for the 12 months and turns out it didn't. He wasn't happy when I said that its not the same as I currently have and that I wanted to cancel this new deal and then put in my cancellation for the old deal.

Fingers crossed for a better deal tonight when retentions call back.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    RedDwarf82 wrote: »
    So I told them about the Sky Fibre Broadband offer in MSE and they offered me... something worse than what I already had (more expensive, and lowering my speed). So I started the switch, which I would have been happy to do if there would have been the need.
    It took a while, but retentions finally called (from 0800 052 0980) and matched the "£17/month for 12 months" (literal quote), leaving me with 70 Mbps. Buuuuuuut, when I tried to confirm it in writing in the webchat I was told I was just offered a £6.25 rolling credit. That would have meant £17/month until March, when my previous discounts expired, and £25/month after that. I think it was a honest mistake, the guy in retentions probably didn't notice the other discounts ended in March, but the conversation in the webchat could have been way better.
    Anyway, I called and finally I have been offered £19/month for 12 months plus a £24 credit, making it an average of £17/month (the same than Sky, since I needed to install a new phone line).

Quite bad customer service during the process (had to call once to change the disconnection date), but at the end £17/month for 70 Mbps is a good deal.

How are getting getting these prices :eek:, see my post :( :mad: (not aimed at you).
  • My package:

SuperFibre50
    TV M
    Phone XL
    Caller Display

Currently paying £29 (exc Line Rental as Paid in Advance up to Jan 2017) also does not include the 2.50 increase I am having to pay from next month.

Same package above includes increase being offered £27 for 12 months, been told f I wait till December they may able to offer a better deal with the new Tivo V6 box. So i'm waiting till then.

Thought the above may help someone.
  • leew
    leew Posts: 726 Forumite
    cjdavies wrote: »
    How are getting getting these prices :eek:, see my post :( :mad: (not aimed at you).

Making them up :rotfl: just kidding.

I was offered £22.25 for 6mths then £25.25 for 6mths.

Currently paying £27.75 raising to £30.74 in Nov.

I told them I'd think about it but having now seen £17 and £19.99 a mth think I'll cancel.
  • RedDwarf82
    RedDwarf82 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 October 2016 at 9:02PM
    leew wrote: »
    Making them up :rotfl:
    To be honest, kind of. I think retentions has a tendency to... simplify... their offers, and then you get the surprise of what exactly have they done.
    I got the confirmation email, it was not very clear how what the email said was supposed to be equivalent to "£19/month for 12 months plus £24 credit". I went to the webchat and the guys there spent like 30 minutes trying to understand it themselves!!

What I exactly got is:
    - A 12 months fixed term
    - "Bundle charges total £32.25"
    - "3 off for 6 months"
    - "Loyalty Discount £7 per month for 18 months"
    - "Loyalty Credit £6.25CR" ("rolling credit", a strange concept IMHO... it's just another discount) for 12 months
    - A one-off £24 credit ("Price Match Credit")

Meaning it's £32.25 - £3 - £7 - £6.25 = £16 for 6 months; £19 for months 6th to 12th, and £25.25 for months 12th to 18th. The guy in the webchat reached the conclusion that the £24 credit is to make the £19/month from month 6th to 12th £17/month (but £12 would have been enough...)
    Meaning that, taking into account the credit, I got something slightly better. £15.50/month in average for the first 12 months.... and then £25.25/month for 6 extra months in which I am contract free, which will be handy when I negotiate the next discount.
  • leew
    Interesting ways Virgin have in coming to a figure!

Does anyone know If it's worth me rejecting their offer in the hope they contact me again to make me a better one??

Risky I know but have people cancelled then accepted a better offer than first given?

In two minds :o
  • bignred05
    bignred05 Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bignred05 wrote: »
    I've had the increase letter, been on to cancel
    was offered a deal to stay, not good enough though
    (from a price rise to £47 offered £38then £35 for 6 months)
    for basic TV with Tivo, 50GB and weekend calls
    had a call on Monday on my Mobile (in work) told them I couldn't talk
    they asked when to call back I said after 5.00pm, was told they would call
    still no call though

Result
    had my call from Retentions
    was offered
    100mg Broadband (up from 50mg)
    TV (M package)
    Phone (weekend calls)
    new Super Hub 3 Router
    new Tivo Box
    all for £25 a month (for 12 months) he said it should be £50
    ohh and no activation fee (said it was £14.99)

I snapped his hand off, well pleased

so basiclly I got the same package as i had before with 50mg increase, a new Tivo box and a new super Hub 3 for £25, when with the increase it wouldd of been £47
  • leew
    Wow, seems I am getting well ripped off judging by some of them deals posted :(

Going to cancel and hope I get a call... wish me luck!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback