Haggle with Virgin - our new guide

Comments

• bubblegun
    bubblegun Posts: 210 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2016 at 3:38AM
    andyca wrote: »
    All those who managed to get a reduced rate, make sure you go back and check your bills. I waited 2-3 months before I realized the new rate was not going to be applied and when I phoned up to complain they said the price offered was on their system but they couldn't do it at that price anymore and I was 3 months in to my new 12 month contract at full price!

I got them to reduce the cost but it was still £5 per month more than we had agreed. I logged a complaint and was told it was my fault for not checking my bills!

Legally they cannot do this!

If it's noted on your account they should credit the difference so over a 12m period you don't pay any more or let you leave without penalty.

You need to escalate a complaint.

I see this is an old post!
  • My package was going to be over £80/month. I called them and negotiated a reduction to £41/ month for 6 months then £51 for 12 months. The package has changed as I do not watch many (or any!) non-Freeview channels so reduced TV package from top to bottom-of-the-range. Broadband is still 200 Mbps. Line rental included.

:T
  • Is everybody happy with the Virginia media Tivo box? I've had it for 3 years and from the beginning it was sluggish, the recent firmware update has made it worse. There are so many posts about the frustratingly slow box it's not my imagination.
    Peace.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,170 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MrCinnamon wrote: »
    My package was going to be over £80/month. I called them and negotiated a reduction to £41/ month for 6 months then £51 for 12 months. The package has changed as I do not watch many (or any!) non-Freeview channels so reduced TV package from top to bottom-of-the-range. Broadband is still 200 Mbps. Line rental included.

:T

:mad: not aimed at you.

When I rang them 28 days ago, I wanted BB only at 50Mbps best they could offer was £31.25 :eek: no chance, notice given, cancels on Monday and no callback :(
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is everybody happy with the Virginia media Tivo box? I've had it for 3 years and from the beginning it was sluggish, the recent firmware update has made it worse. There are so many posts about the frustratingly slow box it's not my imagination.

It's crap and yes it's got worse since the update.
    That's one of the reasons I'm going back to Sky
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    cjdavies wrote: »
    :mad: not aimed at you.

When I rang them 28 days ago, I wanted BB only at 50Mbps best they could offer was £31.25 :eek: no chance, notice given, cancels on Monday and no callback :(

Got 100mbps for £17.99 pm, just told them that's the plusnet price and I would be leaving for them as fed up of being ripped off.

I binned the phone line- never use it.

I binned TiVo and got a second hand BT Youview box off eBay for £48 and it does everything that I need, has all the channels I ever watch combined with my excellent Amazon Prime I have everything I need.

Should have done it years ago.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Is everybody happy with the Virginia media Tivo box? I've had it for 3 years and from the beginning it was sluggish, the recent firmware update has made it worse. There are so many posts about the frustratingly slow box it's not my imagination.

Yes can be sluggish. Particularly I find if you try to use I Player or the red button or Netflix. Takes ages to load. Still where I am not practical to have Sky TV and the broadband speed via BT lines is under 5mbps.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • JB162
    JB162 Posts: 47 Forumite
    bubblegun wrote: »
    Legally they cannot do this!

If it's noted on your account they should credit the difference so over a 12m period you don't pay any more or let you leave without penalty.

You need to escalate a complaint.

I see this is an old post!

Legally they actually can do this!

The law allows for mistakes and all Virgin will say it's been a mistake and apologise.

Even if it goes to a CISAS complaint, CISAS can not force Virgin to honour these deals. See it happening all the time.
  • JB162
    JB162 Posts: 47 Forumite

Guys, there is a current issue with the Tivo boxes at present.

A recent software update was done in prep for the launch of the new V6 box.

This update has effected older Tivo 500mb boxes. It's slowing them right down and causing menu issues.

Newer boxes it is not effecting. They will not swap your box though.

A new update is being worked on to resolve the issue.
  • Just been chatting to VM. I cancelled a month ago all my £55 package (200Mb, TV medium, and phone line weekends) because it was going up to £67. Obviously no way Im paying all that. So they lowered the price to £48 by ditching the phone line, BB from 200 to 100, and TV from More TV to Mix TV. Didn't realised that it was a really bad deal till I looked and compared bills. Luckily I was in the cooling off period and today definitely cancelled. The guy on the phone talked so badly about Vodafone BB, Sky and BT that he nearly convinced me to stay paying even more! After telling him I shopped around he asked me how much was going BT to charge me, I answered £52 for 76Mb, TV with BTsport included and landline with weekend calls. His answer was "sorry but not, can't match it. Virgin Services will be disconnected in 7days. :mad:

Dont mind to be disconnected actually, but after 6 years with them I have not been offered anything honest. Just £4 less by ditching the phone and downgrade TV & BB. Really?? Treating customers like stupids it's not good.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback