Hit by Bulgarian Lorry, didn’t stop, what now?

Options
Hi,

First time dealing with something like this. I was at a set of traffic lights in the right lane ahead of a lorry in the left lane. Pull off when the lights change, everything okay and then I hear my car being crunched and I’m pushed out the lane. He starts beeping me and after pushing me out the way goes in the right lane but doesn’t stop, keeps beeping. I follow with hazards on as it’s a busy junction with the intention to pull over somewhere safer and he was going the route where you could pull over. No, he beeps again and speeds off towards the motorway.

The rear nearside of my car is full of scratches and insurance have declared it as a no fault, but I can’t afford the excess to get it fixed right now. They mentioned long delays with it being international. Do I attempt a claim with the MIB despite only getting his rear reg because he refused to stop or how long can I wait before my car rusts? :( not paid until the end of the month. I work around 10s of HGVs and not had an issue, this :mad: didn’t check before changing lanes/just didn’t care.

Comments

• Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In Bulgaria do they register the trailer?
  • Joannas
    Joannas Posts: 20 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It says so online? I’m not clued up on that kind of thing but .gov website says yes.
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    Scrapit wrote: »
    In Bulgaria do they register the trailer?

Yes the tractor unit will have a different registration number.
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    Joannas wrote: »
    Hi,

First time dealing with something like this. I was at a set of traffic lights in the right lane ahead of a lorry in the left lane. Pull off when the lights change, everything okay and then I hear my car being crunched and I’m pushed out the lane. He starts beeping me and after pushing me out the way goes in the right lane but doesn’t stop, keeps beeping. I follow with hazards on as it’s a busy junction with the intention to pull over somewhere safer and he was going the route where you could pull over. No, he beeps again and speeds off towards the motorway.

The rear nearside of my car is full of scratches and insurance have declared it as a no fault, but I can’t afford the excess to get it fixed right now. They mentioned long delays with it being international. Do I attempt a claim with the MIB despite only getting his rear reg because he refused to stop or how long can I wait before my car rusts? :( not paid until the end of the month. I work around 10s of HGVs and not had an issue, this :mad: didn’t check before changing lanes/just didn’t care.

If you claim on your policy it will be an at fault claim until the money's recovered.

If you're fully comp the MIB won't pay for your damage.
  • Joannas
    Options
    Insurance said it would be no fault I’d just temporarily lose NCB? I am fully comp. So my only options would be to pay excess and wait or get it repaired cheaper?
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    Insurance said it would be no fault I’d just temporarily lose NCB? I am fully comp. So my only options would be to pay excess and wait or get it repaired cheaper?

They may agree you're not to blame but unless you have a policy that covers you against such events, if your company can't recover the money it's an at fault claim.

Think of at fault in terms of who pays.
  • Joannas
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

What a disgraceful situation it all is.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi,

First time dealing with something like this. I was at a set of traffic lights in the right lane ahead of a lorry in the left lane. Pull off when the lights change, everything okay and then I hear my car being crunched and I’m pushed out the lane. He starts beeping me and after pushing me out the way goes in the right lane but doesn’t stop, keeps beeping. I follow with hazards on as it’s a busy junction with the intention to pull over somewhere safer and he was going the route where you could pull over.
    If it ever happens again, do NOT use your hazards while moving. It’s dangerous because no-one knows where you intend to go (on a busy junction!). And illegal.
  • Joannas
    Options
    I didn’t use them consistently but as a signal to the driver and no one was behind me. I think the real danger here is someone driving a HGV, crashing into someone and failing to stop.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I didn’t use them consistently but as a signal to the driver and no one was behind me. I think the real danger here is someone driving a HGV, crashing into someone and failing to stop.
    And the hazards.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport