Vehicle damaged - Hit and Run

This morning at 2AM in the morning my parents vehicle was drove into. The kind person left the scene of the accident and now my parents have to claim on the insurance.

A witness seen this happen and we now know the model of the car, but only part of the registration number. They contacted the Police and they were not very helpful. Basically just advised to contact their insurance.

As we know part of the Registration and model, would there be anywhere that could provide us with cars against part of the registration we know?

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    flopstocks wrote: »
    As we know part of the Registration and model, would there be anywhere that could provide us with cars against part of the registration we know?

Very unlikely, unless you see it out while driving and has damage where they would of hit.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nothing available to Joe Public I'm afraid.
  • BoGoF wrote: »
    Nothing available to Joe Public I'm afraid.

But it is to the police.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    What parts of the reg do you have?

You could make some semi educated guesses for the rest of it and put it through the MOT checker site.

Im thinking if you have the year and last 3 letters, the first two are pretty limited and are for where the vehicle was registered.

If you go down to page 5 you can get all the dvla memory tags (first two letters).
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/359317/INF104_160914.pdf
    Youd need to match the description you have with the description given on the MOT site.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

If its the year/last 3 digits missing, its going to be near impossible.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Assuming they don't live on a main road, it may be worth somebody spending a couple of hours driving around the immediate area over the weekend to see if they can spot the vehicle, the owner/driver could well be local.
  • Any CCTV in the area? Police has access to all these ANPR cameras and could help, but they can't be bothered.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    How much of it do you know?

Even if it's only one letter missing - say AB12CD(blank) - you only have 26 options, and iterative searching on https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ or https://cazana.com may find something matching. But that doesn't mean that was definitely the car... Plates get cloned.

If it's anything more than one letter, and it's something common like <say> a silvery-grey Golf or white Transit, you're into real needle in a haystack territory. And that's even before you take account of the witness wrongly identifying the car or mis-reading the plate.
  • Any CCTV in the area? Police has access to all these ANPR cameras and could help, but they can't be bothered.

What you have said isn't strictly true apart from the can't be bothered part.
  • Well we thought we knew it apart from one letter. But been through all the possibilities with no luck. There must be another letter out unfortunately.

What annoys me is how the Police can't be bothered. They must be able to search the database, I am sure if somebody was hurt it would be a different story.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    What annoys me is how the Police can't be bothered. They must be able to search the database, I am sure if somebody was hurt it would be a different story.
    Wouldn’t that be understandable?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport