The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Lovely people - any tips on re-training a littlely?

DD has taken to coming through to our bed *every night* :eek:

She isn't upset, maybe a little confused (as is to be expected at 02:00-04:00). Taking her back through multiple times (say 3-5) and eventually we give up as we have work in the morning.

Any thoughts? We talk to her about it and she mostly says that she likes sleeping in Mummy and Daddy bed and that her bed isn't comfortable, which I don't believe...
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    My DD (now 15) did exactly the same, I would take her back through numerous times until one day she realised that if she climbed in to the bed from the bottom rather than the side we didn't actually feel her or hear her but would wake in the morning with her in our bed.

I spoke to the health visitor and of course they say the same about taking them back to their own bed but if you don't know she is in your bed how do you do that??

After a few months she just stopped coming in to our bed like she had never started. There was no rhyme nor reason.

Sorry, no actual advice apart from to do what is best for your family and remember it is hardly likely she will still be in with you when she is a teenager!!!!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Having had 4 do this for varying amounts of time and at differing ages, I'm all for the 'let 'em sleep in my bed' if it means we get some sleep. I found it got worse if we made an issue out of it (DS3's reason was that he didn't like waking alone and that he wanted to share a bed with someone - and as mummy and daddy shared a bed, he thought that was reasonable - hard to argue with that!) They do grow out of it. Although totally get that's not the 'recommended' thing to do....
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • choccielover
    choccielover Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No advice from here.

Ours is a serial ninja sleeper and finds her way into our bed most nights.

She doesn’t do it anywhere else she sleeps (though she rarely sleeps out to be fair) but either clambers over DH and bullies him into the position she feels most comfortable (laid using his arm as a pillow) or clambers up from the foot of the bed so we don’t notice

She is a settled sleeper so doesn’t roll, kick, toss and turn so doesn’t unsettle us at all so we mostly let her be.

I get it’s not recommended (though I don’t normally follow advice as such and would rather find my own path) but on balance, it isn’t going to be too long till she won’t come anywhere near us because we are embarrassing parents and she’s a snotty teenager so I’m taking all the snuggles I can get right now.

If she was an unsettled sleeper though, I’d have to do something about it I think...

Sorry, not much help there I suspect
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    All five of our children slept in bed with us though the years ,we would frequently have three in our bed ,we would all sleep well every night and it worked perfectly for us , i loved every minute of those days i have to say
  • edinburgher
    • 18-24 hours of gardening
    • 2 wheelie bins and 20 bin bags of thatch
    • 11 items purchased
    • 2 items returned
    • 2 nasty burns and
    • 1 minor construction project

Later and I have sown and fertilised our new and improved lawn. I get the appeal of plastic now :rotfl:

It had better look nice! The horrifying thing? That wasn't even all the moss, just maybe 70-80% of it :eek: Had to sow now as we're off on holiday next week.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You could use some of the thatch to line a hanging basket? put some hardy green things in with a single brightly coloured plant?
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    You could use some of the thatch to line a hanging basket? put some hardy green things in with a single brightly coloured plant?

I'm not a fan of hanging baskets SL - very windy in our neck of the woods so they tend not to last long! I can recycle about 2 bags worth a week through our brown bin, so they'll be gone by the end of the summer. I read somewhere it wasn't "etiquette" to put thatch in the brown bin, but sod whoever that was, Council Tax exists! :D

Have installed DD's new car seat (they grow so fast) and have agreed to help babysit one of her wee pals for 5 hours tomorrow. I have to admit to being a bit mercenary - helping out one of our geographically closest friends so that they can have an afternoon off in the pub - let's hope they return the favour some day ;)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    You have been a busy bee.
    Well done :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Soundinggood, Ed - and swapping babysitting duties (hopefully!) sounds like the most sensible thing on earth :)

I'm feeling your pain about the lawn and the moss - I've finally given up paying attention to the hedges, the grass and the borders have *got* to be seen to :o
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure