No oil after service questionable?

Options

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with Fred. I mean asking somebody who doesn't know how to use a dipstick to change oil and fit new brake pads etc. What could possibly go wrong?
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    I agree with Fred. I mean asking somebody who doesn't know how to use a dipstick to change oil and fit new brake pads etc. What could possibly go wrong?

Somebody with no idea of how to use a dipstick? They've got all the qualifications and experience needed to be servicing cars at a garage tomorrow.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    I think in the 21st century with a job potentially involving people's safety people expect a degree of regulation. It would be nice to think a mechanic had passed some sort of test to prove he knew what he was doing. He was worthy of his licence. If he sent a car out in a dangerous condition he would lose the licence. His licence would be at risk if he failed to complete a task he signed that he had done.

Actually, i don’t disagree with that. :eek:
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The point is most of us with new cars have to use main dealers to keep the warranty intact, we have no choice., we can't "do it ourselves"
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    The point is most of us with new cars have to use main dealers to keep the warranty intact, we have no choice., we can't "do it ourselves"
    You can't DIY, but you don't have to use that brand's franchise dealer chain. Any garage can do the work, prpviding they document that OE-spec parts and consumables have been used, and the work has been done to the schedule's requirements.
  • alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    OP.....how do you know the car is "completely" empty of oil?
    If a car takes , for example , 5 litres of oil , only 1 one litre shows on the dipstick, so there is possibly up to 4 litres still in the car.
    Another point is that some cars dashboard display shows a percentage of oil "quality" so if it shows 0% just it means it's time to change the oil but doesn't necessarily need topping up.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Really. Sorry to burst your bubble, but my dad was an aircraft electrician for over 50+ years and apart from the initial training he received as an apprentice in the Navy he never received any ongoing formal training or required a license to work on either military or commercial aircraft throughout his career.

Your Dad went from vacuum tubes and mechanical relays to miniaturised surface-mount technology and glass cockpits with no further training? Sorry but that's hard to believe!
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2020 at 10:13AM
    Options
    Your Dad went from vacuum tubes and mechanical relays to miniaturised surface-mount technology and glass cockpits with no further training? Sorry but that's hard to believe!
    Other than having to familiarise himself with the the various conversion manuals as you move from one type of plane to another, then no. All his "training" as such has always been "on the job", no formal, classroom training and no licensing. You can believe what you will.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    You can't DIY, but you don't have to use that brand's franchise dealer chain. Any garage can do the work, prpviding they document that OE-spec parts and consumables have been used, and the work has been done to the schedule's requirements.

Good luck with dealing with a major engine/gearbox failure, especially if say just out of warranty, if you didn't use a main dealer. Just to save a few pounds.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    In warranty - if you've met the legal requirements, there is no issue.
    Out of warranty - yes, of course goodwill may change. But you're reliant on goodwill even with the servicing having been done at a franchise dealer.

And don't forget - many people think that getting their Honda serviced at a Vauxhall dealer is the same thing so long as they're part of the same corporate dealer chain and the Vauxhall dealer is a bit cheaper/more convenient. It isn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure