Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 13th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    • 2,514Posts
    • 14,154Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Taking it slowly, but doing it well.
    • 13th Jul 17, 7:39 PM
    Taking it slowly, but doing it well. 13th Jul 17 at 7:39 PM
    Good evening all,

I'm rejoining this thread and you lovely people after a break of a few years.

I've got a new user name, but only because I can't get back into my old account. (My old diary was called 'Today is not a NSD'

I've kept the start of my username the same, so it's still a big wave hello from me, Wish.

A quick (I promise) update from me.

I'm about to turn 35 (still wish I was 25)

I now have a 1 year old little boy - Pickle

I'm currently on extended maternity leave/career break/unemployed (I took the statutory maternity pay from my high pressured, long hours, no social life job, handed my notice in whilst on mat leave and , because I didn't take any occupational maternity pay, I didn't have to repay any money. )

Husband is still a freelance audio visual engineer in the entertainments industry

Still in our 2 bed Victorian terrace, which we still love.

We still want to be mortgage free, but it's going to take a little longer than we thought when I was last here.

So, why am I back?
    I need some motivation and some accountability, need to get back on the no spend days. Need to curb some bad financial habits that have crept back in.
    Need to lose some weight - nsd will help by no cake shop stops or treats from the discount supermarket at the end of the road.

I'm at the end of my maternity savings.

When I found out I was pregnant I stopped overpaying the mortgage and diverted all that cash into a maternity leave 'fund' to that I added my statutory maternity pay as it came in, 5k from an inheritance and a 5k gift from my parents.
    The total of those savings have allowed us to live as we were for 15.5 months without hubby having to contribute anymore to our household expenses than he had previously.

I am very pleased with what we have achieved. But, that 'half month' is August and then the money is gone, I have no income and we will have to manage on hubby's self employment earnings.

I am meant to be applying for agency work, in my field, for 3 days a week from September. It's not happened yet due to hubby being run off his feet with work. I'm not worried about this, I will sort it when I can.

We have no debts, other than our mortgage (which currently stands at just less than 37k and has 12years 3 months left to run)

We receive child benefit, but nothing else (previous warnings have been too high to receive tax credits or anything else)
    We have no family living nearby, so will need to pay out for childcare come September for 3 days a week, as I'll be agency and hubby is self employed we can't get childcare vouchers, but should be able to open one of the new tax free childcare accounts saving us 20% on childcare costs, which will be around 120 a week.

This is what I already do:

YNAB all my accounts - this is how I've managed to have 15 months off work
    Use ynab to save for all annual bills, overpaying each section so I have a little bonus when it comes to paying the bill

Meal plan & cook from scratch

Try not to spend too much on things for Pickle, and try to sell on things he has finished with (this has had mixed success)

I'd love to have your support as I attempt to pay off the mortge earlier than planned. I'm aiming, from August, to overpay the same amount as the interest added to the account. This isn't much, but it's a realistic challenge given out current circumstances.

Thank you for reading

Wish.
Page 53
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 15th Jan 20, 9:45 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 14,154 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Evening all:

Work last week was fine - busy, but fine. Not huge amounts of spending, but hubby had lots of lunches out with Pickle and Oyster card usage was high - some can be reclaimed as work expenses, some can't.

My additional day on Monday was cancelled - I'm not too upset, it will happen, just not now.

Normal working day on Tuesday

We've had the last 'blocking' piece of work done on the house - dining room floor stripped, sanded and sealed. Technically it's cost me 6 as mum and dad have kindly paid the rest, but I rounded the 456 down. Absolutely delighted with it. We can now start to move furniture back into the correct rooms.

There is still a massive list of jobs to do, but they can now be done in any order. So much has been waiting for the floor to be down, or rooms to be decorated and plastered.

Need to do some saving now though. The roof repair still hasn't happened. If I thought there was another company out there, who were more efficient I'd cancel, but it was a nightmare to find even these people. They say 'the next few weeks' but we'll see. Anyway, once the money for that has been paid I will have a grand total of 84 in the 'house renovations/maintaince/repair pot. That pot is targeted to be 2k. It's going to take a very long time to get there. Especially as we still need to spend out some money.

I do have around 400 of travel expenses due now, it's nearly time to renew the car insurances and I am doing some overtime tomorrow, so I'm hoping the pot will get a little boost from those things (before I spend out again)

Mop pot stands at 88.94/300 for the month. (On top of the 358.08 I paid over on 2nd Jan due to not being allowed to overpay in December) that's a bit of a way to go considering we're now half way through the month. Let's see how close I get.

Happy saving everyone.

Wish.
    Outstanding mortgage: 23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/2318
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 15th Jan 20, 11:45 PM
    • 2,656 Posts
    • 14,064 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Over the last couple of weeks, I've read your diary Wish. I enjoy your style of writing. I both like and understand your goals and mini-goals strategy.

Good luck with the final push to clear the mortgage.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 16th Jan 20, 6:39 AM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 14,154 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Hi Bailey's Babe. Thank you for your kind words and well done on wading through the drivel. I think you are right it's all about goals and mini goals for me. I just want the mortgage gone now. It's going to get irritating soon. If I can get it below 20k by the end of July when the fixed rate ends I think I'll be happy. Shame I can't be ready to pay it off then though.

See you around.
    Wish.
    Outstanding mortgage: 23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/2318
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 17th Jan 20, 12:22 AM
    • 2,656 Posts
    • 14,064 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Reading your diary has started me thinking about what actions we could take to over pay our own mortgage.

I like the idea of paying the interest as an overpayment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,581Posts Today

8,271Users online

Martin's Twitter