Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

Comments

• paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why on earth would you NOT pay at least the deposit for a holiday by CC to get the protection?????

Complete madness...
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you have booked through another company and have an ATOL Certificate that shows, for example, sunshine.co.uk which I think is part of Global Travel, then it is they who have to deal with the problem. They can do this by replacing the flights with alternative ones or offering a full refund, you would have no claim from the CAA.

It does not matter how you pay if you have an ATOL Certificate, the problem only arises for those who bought a flight only product which is not ATOL protected, then having used a credit card gives you protection which you otherwise would not have.

An ATOL Certificate will protect you for all items shown on the Certificate. If you bought additional products after the initial package they may have been added or sold under separate contracts in which case that value may have to be claimed from a credit card. Insurers only payout if you have no other method of protection, they see themselves as a last resort, not the first port of call
  • Just checked and my ATOL certificate is with Airtours, a subsidiary of TC. The plot thickens.... I’m assuming as we’re 13 days away from flying out all my money has been passed on to the relevant companies (Disney, Hotel, Car Hire company etc). So would it just be a case of getting a new flight?
  • Alan_Bowen
    up-north-eng. I wouldn't be too sure that everything has been paid for at all. It may have been, Disney can be very strict but everything else may be on credit and paid after you travel. At present, don't worry as there is nothing you can do, is it Airtours or US Airtours which is a completely independent company and has ATOL number 3085 not Thomas Cook whose ATOL is 1179?
  • bhaisab
    bhaisab Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    If you have booked through another company and have an ATOL Certificate that shows, for example, sunshine.co.uk which I think is part of Global Travel, then it is they who have to deal with the problem. They can do this by replacing the flights with alternative ones or offering a full refund, you would have no claim from the CAA.

It does not matter how you pay if you have an ATOL Certificate, the problem only arises for those who bought a flight only product which is not ATOL protected, then having used a credit card gives you protection which you otherwise would not have.

An ATOL Certificate will protect you for all items shown on the Certificate. If you bought additional products after the initial package they may have been added or sold under separate contracts in which case that value may have to be claimed from a credit card. Insurers only payout if you have no other method of protection, they see themselves as a last resort, not the first port of call

Thanks for advice AB.

Yup, Sunshine named on ATOL certificate.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Booked return flights for next July/ Aug with TC for 7 of us only 10 days ago. Cost £7k (inc seat reservations) and paid on CC - am hoping this means we should be covered....? Travel insurance only covers us up to 5k for scheduled supplier failure :(
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Alan_Bowen
    So long as all 7 are family members you should be fine but CC companies won't pay if it was just a group of friends who all paid you by cheque or cash since they didn't pay by card. In that case the insurance policy may be the only option
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    So long as all 7 are family members you should be fine but CC companies won't pay if it was just a group of friends who all paid you by cheque or cash since they didn't pay by card. In that case the insurance policy may be the only option

ooooh - it's me, my husband, our 4 kids and Dd's boyfriend (of 3 years - will be almost 4 years when we go) and we are paying - it's a combined big holiday for our 50th birthdays and our 25th wedding anniversary.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • If you have booked as a package then you are covered - ATOL protected. You will be able to claim money back.
    If you have purchased flight only (as I have done to Orlando) then you really need to have paid on a credit card or have travel insurance that covers end supplier failure. If you paid on debit card then it’s best to check with your bank.
  • Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    up-north-eng. I wouldn't be too sure that everything has been paid for at all. It may have been, Disney can be very strict but everything else may be on credit and paid after you travel. At present, don't worry as there is nothing you can do, is it Airtours or US Airtours which is a completely independent company and has ATOL number 3085 not Thomas Cook whose ATOL is 1179?

It Airtours ala Thomas cook unfortunately, we did receive our Universal tickets this morning and our Disney code a couple of weeks ago for fast passes. Not sure what happens to those if TC go under though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure