Hula Groove Wedding Band - Threatened court action!

Options

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not convinced that's right - let's not forget that the intent by several posters was to get search results from googling the band and the word 'review' linked to this forum.

I totally agree that it is not the fault of the OP that this thread has gone completely off-piste.

Well they werent slating the band themselves........more the contractual side of booking the band. Using the hula groove review to get a good position in search engines agreed but i think the worst anyone said about the band's performance was that if they'll have trouble finding another booking in 5 months, then they're probably not that good (which imo is a fair assumption - especially with the number of office parties/weddings around that time of year). Plus people would probably use them regardless! After all, look at how many threads are started on comet, currys, pc world etc yet people (long time MSE users) still buy from them!

As the saying goes, can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.

Although tbh, the thread is rather long and i'm not of the inclination to go back and check every single post :D

Anyway, digressing from the OP's problem. I have my fingers crossed hula groove will at least consider my suggestion of making their website clearer and not taking the OP's matter any further as regardless of the outcome, it will probably put a severe damper on the OP's big day and they will associate some negativity with their wedding whenever they reminisce!
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • agmoore
    agmoore Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your comments, some have been really helpful and we are appreciative of them.

While we appreciate the constructive advice, could these be restricted to the dispute and the contractual issues rather than slurring the band.
    The band itself have a good performance reputation, that was never the issue. The issue has always been about the contractual issue, not the bands ability to perform.

Would those that have nothing constructive to say, please refrain from posting defamatory comments about the band going forward.

I would also like to state (for the record), that my partner and I do not form the opinions of any members of this forum.

Thank you.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    agmoore wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments, some have been really helpful and we are appreciative of them.

While we appreciate the constructive advice, could these be restricted to the dispute and the contractual issues rather than slurring the band.
    The band itself have a good performance reputation, that was never the issue. The issue has always been about the contractual issue, not the bands ability to perform.

Would those that have nothing constructive to say, please refrain from posting defamatory comments about the band going forward.

I would also like to state (for the record), that my partner and I do not form the opinions of any members of this forum.

Thank you.

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Equaliser123
    Equaliser123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    Options
    IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Yes, but it is the OP's issue.

The OP has asked for the posts to be kept to the contractual issues here rather than slurring the band. Totally fair and right in my view.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Yes, but it is the OP's issue.

The OP has asked for the posts to be kept to the contractual issues here rather than slurring the band. Totally fair and right in my view.

Sadly MSEs view is different, we can discuss the weather if we so wish.

It's been said a fair few times on this thread that the band appear to be good - it's just their T&Cs and heavy handed approach to the OP.

Both are on-topic so not sure what specifically you (or the OP) are referring to?
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    One of problems is to do with potential libel. This is not fair to anyone including Martin.
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • Equaliser123
    Options

It's been said a fair few times on this thread that the band appear to be good - it's just their T&Cs and heavy handed approach to the OP.

Both are on-topic so not sure what specifically you (or the OP) are referring to?

My point related to the fact that there was a deliberate attempt to get the band high up in the google search results - including with the word 'review' (which tends to imply the performance of the band rather than how they operate) - and links to this forum where they have been quite heavily criticised.

I don't think that is on topic.
  • Equaliser123
    Options

The other point to be made is that the quote from MSE says that anyone can post - but it does not say that anyone can post about anything.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    My point related to the fact that there was a deliberate attempt to get the band high up in the google search results - including with the word 'review' (which tends to imply the performance of the band rather than how they operate) - and links to this forum where they have been quite heavily criticised.

I don't think that is on topic.

I'd disagree, I think all facets of a "band" are on-topic. I think if it's an aspect of being a public performer then it's a topic open for debate / discussion.

For instance if we were talking about a footballer/football team I'd think it perfectly reasonable to a) talk about their performance on the field, b) talk about their love lives and c) talk about how much they earn. All part of the same package and all equally valid to debate. Using an open public forum is a bad idea if the OP had wanted to keep it to only a certain element - they picked the wrong medium with which to do it.

If you feel something is inappropriately posted then report it to the abuse team and they will remove it if they feel it is necessary.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 August 2010 at 4:06PM
    Options
    hulagroove wrote: »

[FONT=&quot]Firstly, our T&C’s are displayed clearly on the website and made available for clients to download before making a booking. The client in question here read through the T&C’s and asked detailed questions about them before making their booking. [/FONT]

It's good to hear the other side of the story, but firstly, your T&Cs do NOT state that instant payment is required if a cancellation is made, and certainly no mention of a ridiculous daily % rate. That is an unfair T&C which would be laughed out of court.

It also states that the band (and thus contract) is not confirmed until the deposit has been paid, so in a court of law, the judge would see it as no contract.

Ultimately, your demands are nothing short of bullying, and your T&Cs are unfair, which is not the sort of behaviour expected from a respectable company.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure