Maggots in OXO cube

Comments

• Mistral001 wrote: »
    Those are maggot like grubs and look tiny.

Yes - that is exactly what mine were like

Mine? :rotfl:

maggots, grubs, I dont know the term, but either way just EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

screaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam
    With love, POSR <3
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The packs were sealed - nothing could have got in there to lay eggs, after production

Imagine youre a soldier who got sent off to war, you where away for 3 years. You get back and your wife shows off to you your new 1 year old child.

Your wife says 'its yours'

You know you havent had sex with her in the last 1 year and 9 months.

What are you going with? The laws of nature or the laws of something being as good as expected (ie a wrapper)?
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    That is not a guarantee of those being the only incidents, not everyone will go to the papers with their compo face

I won't be going to the papers to evidence it, and I wonder how many other people just try and block out this awfulness

I am wondering how something managed to lay eggs through the sealed foil

All down to the individual I suppose. It wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest and I really do mean that. It would have gone in the bin and another cube would have been used.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The packs were sealed - nothing could have got in there to lay eggs, after production

If they were live then they must have, it's that simple, they have a very specific life cycle and it doesn't get delayed more than a few days if temperatures are incredibly low. If it had happened in manufacture you would have opened them to find the fully formed flies and not maggots.

I know you don't like to think that it could have happened in your house but realistically that's the only place it could have happened. Oxo cubes are only sealed in as much as keeping them individually portioned and not to keep them completely sealed. The cupboard I store mine in does suffer slightly with a bit of damp and poor ventilation (can't wait to get my new kitchen) and after just a few months they start to turn soggy from being open enough to allow moisture in. They are no longer nice and torn and easy to crumble but instead have a sticky dough like consistency.
  • parkrunner wrote: »
    All down to the individual I suppose. It wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest and I really do mean that. It would have gone in the bin and another cube would have been used.

ahh you have a stronger stomach than me Park. There is no way I could have had another one out of the same box. I screamed my head off in shock

I'll take me a long time before I eat OXO again, if ever
    With love, POSR <3
  • Fosterdog wrote: »
    If they were live then they must have, it's that simple, they have a very specific life cycle and it doesn't get delayed more than a few days if temperatures are incredibly low. If it had happened in manufacture you would have opened them to find the fully formed flies and not maggots.

I know you don't like to think that it could have happened in your house but realistically that's the only place it could have happened. Oxo cubes are only sealed in as much as keeping them individually portioned and not to keep them completely sealed. The cupboard I store mine in does suffer slightly with a bit of damp and poor ventilation (can't wait to get my new kitchen) and after just a few months they start to turn soggy from being open enough to allow moisture in. They are no longer nice and torn and easy to crumble but instead have a sticky dough like consistency.

Oh I am not icky about thinking it happened in my house as such. Not the most pleasant, but more wondering how it happened

Do you think the foil seal is not secure enough, to prevent a bug getting in? (or whatever monstrous creature :rotfl:did this)
    With love, POSR <3
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Oh I am not icky about thinking it happened in my house as such. Not the most pleasant, but more wondering how it happened

Do you think the foil seal is not secure enough, to prevent a bug getting in? (or whatever monstrous creature :rotfl:did this)

They are not the most securely sealed things, and since they started "crimping" the ends shut I've noticed they don't always have a great seal and the moisture issue has been worse that back when they used to just be wrapped with folds like the knorr ones still are (or were last time I bought any a few years ago). I've notices that sometimes whatever crimps the foil together sometimes causes a tiny tear or hole, also I've fond quite often that as the foil is so fragile it easily tears at the corners when taking them out of the packaging, I guess all it would have taken is you rummaging slightly when you've taken another one out that it could have left even a small hole in another one.

Flies can lay eggs into really tiny and precise holes, as long as there is a food source for their offspring they will find a way to get to it. They are the bane of my life in summer months as my dogs are raw fed so it's a military mission keeping everything fly and maggot free and you'd be amazed at some of the places they manage to lay.
  • algray
    algray Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just had exactly the same thing, but the maggots were dead and clearly hadn't made it. The pack it is two months beyond sell by to be fair but disgusting nonetheless. The texture in this cube felt too dry and sandy. I found other cubes that had a tiny hole drilled in or out of it. I checked two other cubes that felt more crumbly and were completely clear.
  • I would have thought it would be a very sterile environment

The shock and horror of finding them, as I was mid way cooking, literally turned my stomach as you can imagine,

I couldn't get them out of the house fast enough, bag and in the wheelie bin

[b] I try and contact Premier Foods, the makers, but they want photos, series numbers off the box, and there is no way on earth I am going through the wheelie bin to dig out a box of maggot infested oxo[/b] 

The scary thought is, that was not a new box, I have had it in the cupboard for probably three weeks, and used several already.

Im really upset
    The trouble is they need that info to investigate, and they will want to investigate. They're not fobbing you off or anything.

With the batch details, they can trace back to every ingredient batch, from every supplier, and when it came in, who booked it in, where it was stored, whether any of batch was sampled for testing etc. Without batch numbers they can't do any of that. They literally have nothing to go on.

The batch number should also tell them the other way, tracing forwards, to show which retailer it went to and via which haulage firm etc.

Unfortunately, without those details, they have no option really to investigate. 
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,180 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 6 April 2021 at 5:17PM
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    In that case there's no way the infestation happened during manufacture, it would be 99% probability that it has happened in the three weeks you've had them and a very slim chance it happened in the shop you bought them from, unless of course the maggots you found were dead then it could have happened at any time but if live then they simply don't stay at the maggot stage long enough for it to even be a physical possibility of it happening before you bought them.

People don't have to go to the papers, a search for oxo and maggots doesn't just bring up news articles, it also brings up your forum post, and would also bring up other forum posts if anyone had posted anything (not just on here but any forum), and it would bring up any reviews with a mention of it, or any social media mention of it, literally just three mentions on the entire internet and yours is one of them. I can't believe for a second with the way the Internet is today that nobody else has even thought to mention it online anywhere.

Flies do not have very large reproductive organs, they could probably have placed them in there by making a hole virtually invisible to the human eye.  Given the timescales you detail, I am inclined to agree with FosterDog, and think it was something that happened in your own house ... that does not mean you or your house are dirty or anything like that, just that a fly came along and had a glorious and memorable night on your Oxo pubes [sic].

Years ago we got an infestation in our larder of weevils.  The little buggers got everywhere, it was only my brother noticed that some of the grains of sugar seemed to be moving that we noticed it.  In the end we had to dump anything that was not tinned in our larder.  Wasn't our fault - one of the major supermarkets admitted that the fault was a consignment of flour they had received.
    Past caring about first world problems.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure