Car Hire Scams (Holiday Autos & CarWiz in this case)

2»

Comments

• ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    This is one of the reasons why I've stopped booking through the likes of Holiday Auto's, Carjet etc. I now book directly with the car hire company.

It may cost me a few pounds more (usually less than £5) but I've never had any of the problems I read about here & regularly get free upgrades.

This includes Goldcar at Alicante who I've been using there for the last few years.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    I never book car hire in advance when going to typical package holiday resort type places. There are usually loads of local car hire companies who don't pull the usual sorts of tricks where you can get a straightforwards hire without all the bull, and where you usually don't need a credit card. I always pay in cash where possible, and it nearly always is.

You might save on transfers getting a car at the airport - but then you'll need a bigger car that'll take all your luggage, plus you'll be paying for it for the entire holiday, and you probably won't need it every day. And booking in advance you'll almost certainly need to use a card.
  • slightwood1982
    slightwood1982 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 28 March 2020 at 6:17PM
    Having been ripped off multiple times before. I always use www.stressfreecarrental.com It's the only website I've found that clearly explains the security deposits and insurance excess liability. I also always take photos of the car when I pick it up to avoid any disagreements about pre existing damage on the car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure