Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain

Comments

• deeleys
    deeleys Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The card has been cancelled and another one issued. They said if I don't hear from Gold car in the next few days I can dispute the 119 pounds (just realised the deposit was 131 euros plus £3.47 transaction fee). The invoice I got this morning said I had paid a 113 euros deposit with a 58 euro penalty for not leaving the car full and that they will refund me 54 euros in the next few days.

The card company said they are 99% sure (but couldn't 100% guarantee) that Gold car couldn't take any more money out. I am hoping that I at least get the 54 euros back and they don't take any more for made up damages to the car.

I cant believe they scammed me. I am usually so on the ball with these things and I used to work for two car hire companies in Cyprus many years ago, so should have known what was going on. They just prey on you being vulnerable and trusting.
  • deeleys
    deeleys Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Update; Goldcar customer service got back to me and said that they had reviewed the diesel and they were going to refund me the full diesel deposit.
    They had already refunded me £46 out of the £119 deposit as per their dodgy invoice/penalty charge and they refunded me another £49.50, so I got most of the money back. Luckily they hadn't taken anything out for any bogus care damages. Using Goldcar was stressful and time consuming and I had to put a stop on my credit card, so I won't be using them again.
  • Third time we've hired GoldCar at Santander but this year got scammed in August with the 'door scratch' charge because we wouldn't take their Insurance out. Euro 200, and then a E50 charge on top of it. When booking car out, we carefully checked all and had to go back to desk and have their inspection papers re-done. when returning car, same person, same thorough check, signed off as no problems but wouldn't process paperwork to give us ('copy machine problem'). Even drove us to the terminal and wished us a good flight. then next day an email with 'no reply' address, saying damage to passenger door and being charged. This wasn't the case, we had photos, customer services unhelpful (daughter speaks Spanish, so she argued for us) and they couldn't supply repair invoice to show work was done. For all we know, the driver scratched it on way back to depot... Last time we use them, and also cancelled a hire in Crete with them...even though probably an unrelated ownership.
  • ffs
    ffs Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm assuming Goldcar is a franchise, so this would probably account for the variety of practices used at different branches

It would be really good to hear from any past or present employees about the incentive schemes that are presumably in place in some branches which ensure that some employees actions are so dishonest

Ultimately I expect this is due to branch managers encouraging or even requiring such behaviour
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Frustratingly I've joined this role call.

I rented a car with Interrent at Gran Canaria airport. I was told the car had one mark, but if there was anything else just take photos. The car had damage all over - so I grabbed a Goldcar rep in the car park, and he willingly took photos on his tablet and took my email address and booking ref. I could see it was all part of their software. I also took my own photos.

On returning home, I've found they've charged me the 750 euro excess. They've told me to email, which I have - describing the circumstances and linking the photos. I've set a deadline of 14 working days for a response, buy which point I'll raise a dispute with my credit card company.

I do hold excess insurance, however to raise a claim would be fraudulant, as I never had an accident. I guess its the same level of fraud with Goldcar trying to claim the car was largely perfect, and also losing the proof I gave them on the day...

I hadn't realised Interrent were the same company - so be warned!
  • F0xtrot
    F0xtrot Posts: 18 Forumite
    I have just booked with carjet and I have a voucher for gold car. I don't travel to Crete until July and now I am desperately trying to cancel....carjet say i can't. I have requested a chargeback via my bank but I don't rate my chances. I am now looking at damage limitation - if I take their insurance at the airport, will they still scam you do you reckon? £320 in so far. I have heard real horror stories if you don't pay...but what if you do? I just don't want this scum ruining my summer holiday.
  • I have just been another victim of their policy of adding super cover insurance and smart return extras which I explicitly said I did not want or need (as I have my own excess car hire insurance).

I am not getting anywhere with the Malaga or Spanish customer service departments. Is it possible to take their UK company to a Small Claims Court for the blatantly wrongly applied charges?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If you paid by credit card take it up with your credit card provider. They will be aware of Goldcar.
  • I needed two cars on 15th July for us to travel as an extended family  to Pollença for 9 days and yes I was stupid to book with Goldcar. They told us we cannot have either car without taking out the Superwaiver cover and this was documented on their website. We could cancel the booking but we would then have to pay the full cost of £250 per car. The Superwaiver was another £150. I was strong armed into paying this cost and IT WASNT on THEIR website which was a lie. We had our own global car insurance Which I showed them. Payments were taken from our credit cards in our names etc.... complete fraudsters. However, I complained on the Goldcar website and kept the complaint numbers. I contacted Discoverycars whilst on holiday who suggested completing a complaint form at the airport who suggested I went back into the terminal on the way home and completed claim forms  requesting the super waiver back and got them to stamp the form. Yesterday we both received £80 back on our credit cards. I will be raising two more complaints to get the remainder back and then I’m heading for Charge back if I do not get the remainder .... avoid GoldCar. DiscoveryCars were useless when I got home - great to take a deposit but crap after service blaming me for agreeing to it. I wrote back to say they were my initial sales and therefore they are responsible too .... the saga continues. Dog with bone comes to mind but will be using another supplier next time and please everyone read the Carhire website terms and conditions before you buy. I’ll be checking every car hire company before I buy from now on 
  • I had this problem with Goldcar in Fuerteventura last year. I showed my pre purchased extra insurance but when I got home I found I had £170 taken off my credit card. I challenged it through my card provider and got a refund, the Goldcar challenged the refund. Luckily I was able to show I had not purchased insurance from them so I kept the refund. They sent a copy of the insurance document to my card provider but it had no signature on it. This was challenged and they sent another copy that miraculously had my signature on it, ( no doubt from the electronic signature machine that I had to sign to allow money to be blocked in case of damage). I believe the reps are paid extra for selling extra insurance so fraudulently charge you for it. I was lucky but many are not. Do not go anywhere near Goldcar or any of its subsidiaries.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback