Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • David Beecroft Smith
    • By David Beecroft Smith 12th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    David Beecroft Smith
    Wifes lack of NICs
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    Wifes lack of NICs 12th Jan 18 at 2:20 PM
    Hi, we recently discovered that my wife's Pension entitlement is going to be severely diminished due to lack of NICS contributions. As a stay at home Mum she should have been credited with these contributions, however because the child Benefit was paid to us in my name this was never done. My question is can these historic payments, or at least the NICs credits, be transferred from my account to hers?
    Any other suggestions on how to resolve this problem would be welcome.
    Thank you in advance,
    David
Page 1
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 12th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 1,944 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    You'd be better posting this in a more appropriate forum (there's a tax and a benefits board on the main menu), it's not really anything to do with boosting income so might not get the best replies here.
    • clairec79
    • By clairec79 12th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 2,345 Posts
    • 6,236 Thanks
    clairec79
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    I'm not so sure that you can.

I know when we first wanted the child benefit paid in my husband's name (because I was the main earner so made more sense for the home responsibilies to be covered for him) they rang and spoke to me asking if I was sure I wanted the child benefit to be paid to the man instead of me for this reason and we were told that it couldn't be changed in retrospect - only for full tax years in the future if we changed it
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 18,353 Posts
    • 12,531 Thanks
    molerat
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    Yes you can.
    Pre and post 2010 rules differ
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-insurance-credits-for-parents-and-carers-cf411a
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-insurance-application-form-for-home-responsibilities-protection-cf411
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 15th Jan 18, 10:55 AM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 3,644 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 15th Jan 18, 10:55 AM
    • 15th Jan 18, 10:55 AM
    Not sure about transferring, however, there is the option for you to make up up to 7 years' worth of missed contributions - log in to your HMRC account for details on how. It might be worth doing this (in addition to trying to rectify the error) in the event it makes a difference.
    • David Beecroft Smith
    • By David Beecroft Smith 17th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    David Beecroft Smith
    • 17th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    Thanks to all for replying, very helpful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

66Posts Today

2,302Users online

Martin's Twitter