Help With Defaults on credit file

Options
Hi guys I was hoping you could help me with something.

I ran into alot of trouble with pay day loans a around 2013-14. I managed to get clean and have them all paid off in 2015 and have been building my credit file since.

However I have noticed I have 10 defaults from Kapama limited which are dated through 2015-2016. The original debt was with mini credit in 2013 which I thought I had paid at the time.

I went to the ombudsman who sorted this for me and reduced the debt to a proper amount and I paid in full to them.

Is there anything I can do to get these defaults removed, the balance on them is not what the ombusman agreed to and surely as the debt was with minicredit in 2013 they cant be adding monthly defaults in 2015?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The monthly defaults are just status updates, and are correct.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Your defaults will stay on your credit file for 6 years from the date of default.

You cannot get them removed in all honesty, they reflect how you have managed your credit accounts, so must be accurate unfortunately.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • vinnie1208
    Options
    From some further reading it appears that Kapama who the debt was transferred to should use the original default date.

Is this correct?

Thanks
  • The company whose name the debt is now in must use the original debt date, they cannot use their own date.

Also, they cannot have lots of defaults if this is one single debt.

I know that some PDL companies created new agreements everytime a debt was rolled over, but I don't know whether this is legally acceptable, or fair. I don't think it's moral --- but I don't know what the law or FOS says about the practice.

In any case, if the default date(s) are wrong, or any of the other details are wrong, you should raise a formal complaint with the company, and then take them to the FOS if they don't resolve the matter to your satisfaction once you have a final response or deadlock letter, or eight weeks have passed after you raise the formal complaint.

Be clear that this is regarding the default date and/or your other complaints, and isn't the same as your previous referral to the FOS which sounds it was regarding the amount owed. You must be very clear in the distinction to both the company, and to the FOS if you escalate it to them.
  • vinnie1208
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I sorted this all with Kappama who have said they will remove all entries from my credit file as a good will gesture :)
  • Good news! :) :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport